Motors amps

Tony

Staff member
Most accurate way is with a watt meter. Most manufacturers will state what the wattage is, but your other thread, that link does not.

Tony

Staff member
Yes there is. Amperage=wattage/voltage. Wattage=amps*volts. As for figuring it out with KV, no there is not. KV is RPM Per Volt which has nothing to do with wattage or amperage.

Tony

Staff member
For the unknown chinese motors, yes. And it is the most accurate way as well. This way, you can test what the wattage is with different props.

Tony

Staff member
Only if it will read current. Most cheap multi-meters will only go up to 10 amps then you will pop the fuse. Your motors should pull more than that.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, sure did. It was donated to Rc-Help by Derek here on the site! Don't need it a lot, but when I do, I'm really happy I have it.

Derek

I remember getting that meter for you, Tony! Ha ha ha....I was shopping around for one and you, jokingly, said that I should get one for you.....and I did, lol.

I tell you what...I still have my meter today. I bought that thing probably 4 years ago and it's just one of those tools that you won't use often but when you find that you need it, it's an awesome little thing to have around. I got my meter from Hobby King. I just checked their site for the meter and it seems that it's no longer available. However, here is another good looking one and not a bad price, considering what it will do:

Turnigy™ 7in1 Mega Meter Battery Checker/Watt Meter/Servo Tester

Good luck!

Smoggie

Software such as Motocalc or Propcalc will do a decent job of estimating current draw. This doesn't negate the need for the wattmeter but it's a lot better than guesswork to get in the right ballpark

murankar

Staff member
I can track my amps and watts with the Vbar UI sensor. I am not sure how accurate it is but I would guess it's close enough.

Top Bottom