450 ALZRC Devil 450 Maiden Flight

Tony

Staff member
Okay, so not much of a maiden. The 3GX strikes again. But it's not as bad as you are thinking.

As I posted in my Align 150 thread a while ago, I came home off the road this morning and had a hankerin' to do some flying. It doesn't happen much anymore, but it happened this morning. so while I was charging my 150 batteries on the little OcDay charger, I charged up a 2200mah 3s pack for the Devil 450. Once it was done, it was time to head outside.

Once out there, I plugged the battery in and waited for it to initialize. Once it did, I put the canopy on and started to spool it up. I forgot just how slow and steady the Castle ESC's spool! That was nice!

Even though I balanced the blades, there is still a vibration in there somewhere. And I have no idea where it is. I'm thinking I need to put the DFC head on it since I did have to drill this head to get it on the helicopter at the proper height. If you remember, my head was too high during the build and thus making the links too short. This was one of the only flaws in this kit. Everything else was pretty good except for the tail drive gear mesh.

So once I got it spooled up, I put her into the air. I'm running the Align 3GX on this helicopter because I wanted a 3GX helicopter. Don't judge me lmao. But once in the air, all it wanted to do is yaw nose left constantly. I double checked for HH mode and it was on. So I decided to go ahead and adjust the tail linkage to give it more right rudder.

This didn't help at all. Still nose left. I added a LOT of subtrim which you should not have to do. Still, yaw left.

So something is amiss with this setup or the gyro is bad. What are your thoughts?

No, I didn't get video. After last weekends crashes (yes, plural), I wanted to do these without any video rolling so I didn't feel like I needed to be talking lol. I will keep working on it and see what I can come up with. I think the solution just hit me, but we will soon find out.

Tony

Staff member
Holy crap, I just about crashed the CRAP out of the Devil 450!!! If you want to see video of it, I did pull it from the dash cam in my truck.... Yea, the rest of that flight was me shaking almost uncontrollably lmao. But, I fixed the tail issue, the 3GX is as stable as ever (ha to you haters out there lmao) and she came down in one piece! Which is nothing short of miraculous. Damn, that was a chilling flight! Should have known not to do that...

Eggy 71

I had almost an identical issue a couple of weeks ago. I brought it up in a thread on July 1 in FBL section. Never really figured out why it was yawing, I needed -28 subtrim to cancel it out. It did it 5 times I initialized and went away on the sixth without me changing anything.

Tony

Staff member
The issue with mine was I was on channel 5 for the tail gyro when I should have been on channel 7 or Aux2. No matter what I did to it, tail linkage adjustment, servo sub trim adjustment, nothing helped. Once I put it on channel 7 with 45% gain, the tail is solid as a rock! Not bad for version 2.1 lol.

Smoggie

Congratulations on a safe maiden Tony. Special congrats are in order considering you have the handicap of the 3GX to cope with:biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
lmao, And this time it was, and wasn't the 3GX's fault hahaha. But yes, it is very stable and a great flying little helicopter. My other handicap is the lack of stick time on these things lol. Then I botch a flip and holy crap... You will see in the video that uploads in 2.5 hours from now...

Geena

Staff member
Hey...there`s nothing wrong with the 3GX. They are great to fixing wobbly tables, and holding doors open and such. Hahaha Just messing with ya. I`m glad you got the tail issue sorted, and were able to get a good flight on it. I can`t wait to see the video. :D

Tony

Staff member
Eh, the video is not that great. In fact, I'm not even going to take it public. Too many thumbs down on the 150 flight since I didn't have the camera on my head, I didn't do any talking during the video production and so on. It is just a capture from inside my truck because there was a camera rolling in there lol. I did do a voice over though. Maybe that is what people don't like. But, no one that leaves thumbs down is brave enough to actually leave a comment to let me know what they didn't like. Whatever, I will just fly and not capture any video. Just try to have some fun. But not today, making a different kind of video on what I'm doing today.

Top Bottom