500 Align Trex 550 DFC or Blade 550?

Dirk

I went on a business trip yesterday and popped into the Spektrum/ JR importers here in S.A. They get most of their goodies from Horizon. They tried their best to talk me into a Blade 550. I had a good look at the heli. All Spektrum electronics, but quite a bit more pricey than the Trex 550 DFC.

What do you guys think? (Not a word from the lucky Goblin owners!!!! I can't afford one of those beauties just yet)

For the sticker price of the Blade 550, I can get an Align 600 DFC Pro combo.

I also had a look at their range of Revolution main and tail blades. Nice!

HELP PLEASE!!!! :torn:

pvolcko

The 550 has seen a price drop in recent weeks as part of the fallout from the ESC recall they had to do. The full combo was about $1000 street price. Now, without ESC, the combo is about $900 (probably can be had for $800-$850 if you sweet talk em). Align 600E is around $850-900 in the places I checked. Align kit includes an ESC so it is a better deal.

Of course those are US prices. What prices are you seeing?

ESC issue aside, I've been pretty happy with my 550 X Pro. And the Castle Creations ESC I replaced the stock one with is far superior anyway, so I'm not that upset about the whole deal in the end. Quality wise, I'd say Align is still a little ahead of Blade. Blade's 550 isn't bad, but the Align is just a touch better. Bearings are a little smoother. Frame and skids feel a bit more solid. 550's tail boom is solid and the tail fit and finish in terms of smoothness is a little better than the Align setup, IMO, stock for stock. 550 will be a bit lighter than the full 600, and will probably have roughly the same power, so the 550 will likely be a little better performing. 550 went together very easy compared to the align 700E v2 I have. But if you're looking at a DFC Align then the problem area of the 700E v2 (the more complicated linkage and swash setup) will not be an issue.

I don't think you can go wrong on either choice. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

heli-maniac

I love my TREX 550 very solid and proven Heli
the blade 550 is still up in the air if it is worth the money with all the problems

Top Bottom