450 Align trex 450l help please

Tony

Staff member
Those two videos are the same. But, in that video, all you need to do is add a little more right thrust to your tail blades to compensate for the drift. Depending on the gyro, you may not have to do this step, but it's extra insurance.

The other thing is the head speed is not high enough. You need to test at at least 70% to know if there are vibrations. There is always a resonant vibration in a helicopter, even in full scale that you have to pass through. Once through it though, it will smooth out. If it doesn't, check all shafts and blade balance.

And holy crap please don't keep it spooled up inside on that box. I was just waiting for it to fall off.
And trust me when I say, those blades hurt when they hit you. :)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah, I agree with Tony about spooling up your heli in the house and no less on top of a box. Not cool at all. You won't know what damage that blade can do til it happens to you and by then it might be to late. Safety first.

Ni_2016

Those two videos are the same. But, in that video, all you need to do is add a little more right thrust to your tail blades to compensate for the drift. Depending on the gyro, you may not have to do this step, but it's extra insurance.

The other thing is the head speed is not high enough. You need to test at at least 70% to know if there are vibrations. There is always a resonant vibration in a helicopter, even in full scale that you have to pass through. Once through it though, it will smooth out. If it doesn't, check all shafts and blade balance.

And holy crap please don't keep it spooled up inside on that box. I was just waiting for it to fall off.
And trust me when I say, those blades hurt when they hit you. :)

HH mode
align trex hh - YouTube

yea i agree not safe to do indoors but i will try at 70% throttle stick outside but it will take off ? lol also i have noticed if i add a little right or left rudder it will stop the spinning so should i add sub trim ? or adjust the tail control rod ? gyro is disable 0 in for RM Tx, only HH has gyro on at 70% in Tx

Thank you for your help :)

Tony

Staff member
I'm not seeing any vibration in that last video. Just what is considered normal. And only adjust the linkage rod, never add subtrim to any gyro. But like I said, depending on what gyro you are using, that drift may not be an issue. What gyro are you using?

And I suggest setting up a throttle curve of something like 0 70 70 70 70. That is what I fly because it locks the tail in a lot better than using a linear curve.

Ni_2016

I'm not seeing any vibration in that last video. Just what is considered normal. And only adjust the linkage rod, never add subtrim to any gyro. But like I said, depending on what gyro you are using, that drift may not be an issue. What gyro are you using?

And I suggest setting up a throttle curve of something like 0 70 70 70 70. That is what I fly because it locks the tail in a lot better than using a linear curve.

gyro is align gpro, i have it set to linear pitch and curve for now, ok will setup a 0,70,70,70,70 curve and test it out, i'll make another video later today and post it if vibrations continue

Thank you for your help and advice :)

Tony

Staff member
With that gyro, you really don't need to do the rate mode adjustment. Just run it in HH mode and it will be fine. And yes, keep me posted.

Smoggie

Looks good in the video from what I can see. +1 on Tony's advice, just use HH mode and don't spool the heli up indoors, you wouldn't believe how horribly wrong that can go in the blink of an eye.

Oh, and also never use trim or sub trim on a flybarless heli.

PS.. where in the UK are you?

Ni_2016

With that gyro, you really don't need to do the rate mode adjustment. Just run it in HH mode and it will be fine. And yes, keep me posted.

ok will try it in HH see what happens

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good in the video from what I can see. +1 on Tony's advice, just use HH mode and don't spool the heli up indoors, you wouldn't believe how horribly wrong that can go in the blink of an eye.

Oh, and also never use trim or sub trim on a flybarless heli.

PS.. where in the UK are you?

why should sub trim never been used on a flybarless heli ?
i live in wales, carmarthenshire

Tony

Staff member
You can use subtrim ot center the servos, but never use the trim tabs on the face of the Tx. It will make the gyro do really weird things. It was my mistake saying never add subtrim. I meant trim. My bad. But, once you set your servos to 90º to the links on the head and tail, you will never touch the subtrim again.

Ni_2016

You can use subtrim ot center the servos, but never use the trim tabs on the face of the Tx. It will make the gyro do really weird things. It was my mistake saying never add subtrim. I meant trim. My bad. But, once you set your servos to 90º to the links on the head and tail, you will never touch the subtrim again.

ok i understand now, Thank you for your advise and help really appreciate it :)

i tested the heli in HH i hovered, left and right drift and then i hard landed it and stripped the umbrella gears so i will be replacing them soon

correct me if i'm wrong but in HH the heli should have hovered stable hands free ? with no drifting left right ?

- - - Updated - - -

i've rounded 2 screws on the heli so not sure what to do can someone please recommend me a method to remove the screws ? i've looked at extractors but any recommendations for a quality extractor to remove the screws

Tony

Staff member
What did you have your gain set to?

And use a dremel to cut a slot into the head of the screw then use a flat blade screwdriver to take it out.

Tony

Staff member
Are you using a DX6i? If so, try going up to 65 or even 70 on the gain. It sounds like the tail is hunting. What servo are you using?

Ni_2016

Are you using a DX6i? If so, try going up to 65 or even 70 on the gain. It sounds like the tail is hunting. What servo are you using?

Dx6i i will try higher gains when i replace the gears standard servos on align 450l dominator are the ds525m rudder, 3x ds430m controlling the swash plate

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I was asking because some are using slower servos and with those you need to add some delay otherwise it will shake. But yes, raise your gain until you get a very fast wag, then back it down about 5% and you should be good. And be sure to get the black gears and not the white ones.

Ni_2016

Okay, I was asking because some are using slower servos and with those you need to add some delay otherwise it will shake. But yes, raise your gain until you get a very fast wag, then back it down about 5% and you should be good. And be sure to get the black gears and not the white ones.

ok, will get the black ones i have looked on aligns website they have upgraded the gears to stronger, durable hope they last longer this time lol , metal ones would be better but they don't stock them, i don't know how long until next flight test as i don't have dremel with me but will try to get those rounded screws removed a.s.a.p

Thank you very much Tony for your help and advise really appreciated :)

Engel

Hello, my Trex 450L Dominator 6s originally came with 360mm blades but one of them broke, can I use 325mm blades?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hello, my Trex 450L Dominator 6s originally came with 360mm blades but one of them broke, can I use 325mm blades?
Howdy Engel. I use 325mm blades on my Gaui X3 when I don't have a spare 360mm blades :).

Top Bottom