450 Align Trex 450 Pro V2 - 6s Set Up

Matt

I've got an Align Trex 450 Pro V2. I'm thinking of converting it to a 6s set up, with a 6s battery, motor, and ESC.

I have a Scorpion HKII-2221-2010Kv motor. Would the Castle Lite 50 be a good ESC for this motor?

Admiral

I have run that exact setup on one of my 450s, from memory ran a 1300 mAh 6S battery and got 7+ minute sports flying flights.

Matt

Is it worth it? I've heard a lot of people say it's better. I've already got the motor, I just need to get an ESC. 1300 mAh battery is what I've been reading too.

Admiral

Yes it is, 1. It's a learning experience, 2. You do get more power & longer flight times.
The only reason I changed back was the to rationalize batteries to all 3S as I had several 450s, now I run 3 x 360s all running 6S so it wouldn't be a problem.

Tony

Staff member
Battery fitment under the canopy is going to be tight, but can be done. I have always left the Pro frames as 3s and only considered the Dominator frames with a battery tray for 6s. Of course, my 450 Dominator I'm still running on 3s lol.

Geena

Staff member
I run my X3, and X3L on 6s. The battery is a little snug under the canopy of the X3L, but OMG...the power! :)

Matt

It’s more head speed but without having to sacrifice flight time. The 3s with more head speed tend to drain the battery a lot quicker.

Admiral

The 1300 mAh 6s Nono-Tech that I used was the same dimensions as the 3S 2200 mAh so there were no issues with the Pro frame, although I can't see that battery listed anymore but there should be alternatives.

Matt

I ordered 2 Venom 50c 1300mah packs from eBay and a Castle Edge Lite 50 amp ESC. Waiting on shipping. Once that’s shipped it’s going to be a lot of soldering

Matt

Everything got delivered. Time to start soldering. Do you guys always fly with a canopy on the heli? Does it help with orientation? I’ve gotten in to the habit of not flying with a canopy. I’m thinking I’d progress further if I put the canopy on the heli.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
My self being blind as a bat I rather fly with the canopy on just for that reason...orientation.

Admiral

I sometimes test fly in the backyard with the canopy off but I always put it on in the field for orientation, I also often paint my vertical stabilizer iridescent orange for the same reason.

Tony

Staff member
As stated, the canopy will help tremendously with orientation especially if it gets a little far away from you or against a dark background.

Matt

This heli is a beast..

I’ve got an Align Trex 450 Pro V2

Align DFC Head
Hobbywing 40 amp ESC
Scorpion HKII-2221-2010kv motor
121 tooth main gear
12 tooth pinion gear
1300 mah 50c battery (22.2 volts)
Microbeast
KST servos

I’m getting about 3500 rpm at full throttle and about 5 mins of flight time.

Thinking of going to a 10 tooth pinion or a 9 tooth pinion

Think I should go to a 9 tooth or 10 tooth pinion?

Tony

Staff member
I would not do the pinion. You are right where you need to be on head RPM for absolute max. what I would do though is setup your governor in the hobbywing and fly at 90% for max. This will give you 10% overhead if the helicopter needs it. It will also slow down the head slightly possibly resulting in reduced vibration.

Speaking of vibration, is is a vibration or an oscillation? Can you post a video of what it is doing?

Matt

Another thing to add to the laundry list of things wrong with this heli.. I just noticed the screws came out of the brand new tail unit I just bought.. What needs to be loctited, and what doesn't need to be loctited?

Top Bottom