Servos Align servos?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I just received my Align servos " DS415M, DS425M" and went to install them in my bird" Not Align" :crushed: Notice that my linkage are not perpendicular. With out cutting the frame can i somehow extend the servo arms forward to make my linkage work or wishful thinking?

Tony

Staff member
I think we are going to need a picture to help with this one. I'm quite lost as to what you mean.

pvolcko

Even if you are using these new, different servos, you should be able to use the servo arms/horns that you were using before and things should line up pretty good. Yes, a pic would definitely help.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm sorry that i couldn't explain my self well. Maybe this will help. The Align servos casing is a lot thinner then the servo" Fusonic" I'm using right now. What i have done is taken my Walkera V450D01 and took out the rotor head,shaft,ect then replaced it with Align 450 DFC main rotor head upgrade,ect New ECS " YEP 45amp" & Motor "Turbo Ace 804-KV 3950" was also added. The bird fly's excellent for me. Just wanted to replace servo with Real one. I don't have the knowledge to attach picture so i can't show pic. to you but like the heli, i'm still learning how to work a computer. Hope that might help some? Yes i should of bought an Align Bird but at the time i didn't know any better and did't find out about The RC Group. before it was toooooooo! late. Learning alot by reading. Keep up the good work everyone!

Tony

Staff member
Maybe this will help you upload a picture. I"m still unsure exactly what your saying. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited:

pvolcko

I found some pics online of the stock heli's servo configuration and the DS415m servos. They look like they should be a pretty close match. They mount with a center screw top and bottom. If the horn is positioned to the corresponding swash balls a little further back than the stock ones, resulting in a slight backward cant to the link rod between the servos and the swash balls, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it is a problem, you can maybe try putting a longer ball on the servo horn to get the servo side of the link arms out more. Or maybe put a washer between the servo and the mount points top and bottom on the frame, to force the whole servo forward a bit (may need to get some longer screws to secure the servos properly).

But if the servos horns are back a little from where the stock servos had them, it shouldn't matter too much. You may need to lengthen the links to the swash a little bit to compensate. Of course, since you're changing out the servos you will need to re-level your swash and do flybarless controller setup again anyway, which should force you to take care of that.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Tony for the pic. upload. As soon as I figure out how to upload I will send pic.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the 411 pvolcko. Do you know where I can purchase these longer ball for the servo arms? I will have some pic by the weekend I hope. Trying to convert Walkera V450DO1 with Align product is a challenge but fun! So far Align DFC works fine in the bird. Waiting till x-mas so Ms. Clause can buy Mr. clause a Align 450L Dominator. Till then I will fly and have fun with my heli. :)

pvolcko

Let's wait for a pic before you do anything just to make sure we understand what you're talking about. :) But you can get them from most parts suppliers. May have to look at the ball sets for swashplates or other parts of the heli to find the right standoff length though. Keep in mind, the longer you go the more twisting torque the arm will see which can be detrimental. It may make more sense to put some washers between the servo and the mounting surface to stand the whole servo off from the frame.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That make sense on the washer part. I will wait till pic are submitted, so I can get some more input on this dilemma. Due to mother nature pic will be on delay till rain stop in FLA. Mean time I'll fiddle with the washer idea and give that a try. Thanks Paul!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
P9150008.jpgP9150003.jpgHey there Mr.Tony. Finally got those pic. so you can see what I'm talking about the servos linkage not sitting parallel. Blue servo" Fusonic" Black servo " Align". A Picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the video on up loading picture. Helped a lot! :)

P9150008.jpg

P9150003.jpg

Graham Lawrie

Is it affecting the performance? If not, it will be fine. You could pack the servo out. Part of the ball link design is to allow for movement.

Tony

Staff member
I'm glad I insisted on the picture, it's completely different in the mounting than I thought it was. In this case, you can try and put some shims behind the servo where it bolts to the block, but make sure it goes all the way across the mounting tab behind it. Wouldn't want you to break the new servos.

As Graham stated, it may be fine for normal flight (hovering, and FF). If you are trying to get into some Smack, then I hate to say it, but I would rekit everything into an Align frame. But, you "should" be fine the way it is. I'm not sure of a way to correct this issue 100%.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you for helping me out on this situation. Probably will have more question to ask in the future. Later on down the road, I will buy an Align bird, till then I'll keep having fun with my Walkera/Align Heli. With Rchelp.com members helping out. I'm learning a lot from everyone. Keep up the good work!

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for that. Let us know how everything goes on the first flight with the new servos.

xokia

You could maybe use a stand-off. They are usually used to keep circuit boards aways from their mounting surface.
If you can find one with the right threads you could use it to move the ball further out. That creates a lever and wouldn't be ideal.
But it might work

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there xokia. Thanks for the suggestion but I going with the packing out the servo trick. Right now the bird is being taken apart and completely done over. Got all my parts in and suppose to rain all weekend in FLA so I will have plenty of time to work on her. I will post pics after completing the bird make over. Thanks for everyone suggestion!

Top Bottom