600 Align Model Numbering

Heliman450

Hi all, can anyone explain the numbering system of the Align Helis? I'm thinking of buying a 600-sized as a spare to my 550.

My local hobby store has both 550 and 600 (Super Combo). The 550 carries the number 'RH55E09XT' and the 600 number 'RH60E14AT'. The Align website lists their numbers as - 'RH55E12XW' (550) and 'RH60E14XW' (600).

What does this mean in terms of the actual production date and possible improvements during the period? Of course, to a layman like me, this means the local store's 600 is not too far off the current Align product number and the 550 is not so close. But what does this really mean?

The prices quoted aren't too different, so to me this isn't really a problem.

Thanks in anticipation.

Smoggie

The Align product codes are very confusing for sure. They not only have different codes for different versions (and a new version every year) but also different codes for different kit types (if they are basic kits or 'combos'). That being said you can usually pick up the differences easily enough by reading the spec sheet.

The two 600's appear to be identical in every detail, only thing i can guess at is the codes may be regional specific. The two 550's are identical except for the FBL controller. The latest versions come with the BeastX, the one your dealer has is the Gpro which is now discontinued so best avoided. The dealer might be willing to do an upgrade of the kit and exchange the Gpro for a BeastX?

Another thing to note is the very latest 600 Super Combo ( code# RH60E14AW ) comes with the Align branded Hobbywing 130A HV ESC which is a nice upgrade to the Castle 80HV that came with previous kits. i'm not sure if that version has hit the dealers yet?

If you were planning to share batteries with your 550 then the 600 is out because it's 12S powered and used a couple of 6S 2700-3300mAh lipos rather than the single 6S 5000mAh used in the 550.

Heliman450

Hi Steve, I had a feeling you'd be getting back on this one. So don't bother with the 600, go straight to the 550?

Smoggie

Between 600 and 550, your call. The 550 is the more modern design and you do get to reuse your existing batteries, so probably the sensible choice. But i have a soft spot for the 600, i really like mine (though it's only half original these days). Here is my much modified 600 flying yesterday:
ScreenHunter_23 Sep. 18 19.35.jpg

ScreenHunter_23 Sep. 18 19.35.jpg

Heliman450

Hi Steve,

As a spare for my 550 there's only really the sensible choice. However, do I modify the new one to match the spec of the old? Now there's a question for me to answer.

Thanks for the input.

Smoggie

They are quite different helis. The 550L has totally new frames with completely different layout, plus all the electronics are different (servos, ESC., motor etc). ... So really you could never make them 'match'.

Heliman450

They are quite different helis. The 550L has totally new frames with completely different layout, plus all the electronics are different (servos, ESC., motor etc). ... So really you could never make them 'match'.

I wasn't quite thinking to trying to 'match', I was thinking more along the lines of the tail conversion. Also, at the moment I'm still running the 0.8 gear train so I was thinking to make sure that they match but if that was to the 0.6, then I'd have to find a supplier from elsewhere as my local guys are stuck on the point that it no longer exists.

Another learning point on my journey so far is to always get the bits for an upgrade or major overhaul before starting as it's taken so long to get to the point of action. On a positive note, the weather's changed for the better so my re-run of my maiden is set for this afternoon :biggrin1:

murankar

Staff member
The only thing I can add Tonto's is that the 550 is cheaper to fix. The 550 is the entry model to big helis or helis that can auto rotate.

One thing about the 600 is that if you don't have a 550 go for the 600 otherwise stick with the 550. The 550 is a great intro to large helps while keeping costs down.

Heliman450

The only thing I can add Tonto's is that the 550 is cheaper to fix. The 550 is the entry model to big helis or helis that can auto rotate.

One thing about the 600 is that if you don't have a 550 go for the 600 otherwise stick with the 550. The 550 is a great intro to large helps while keeping costs down.

Excellent stuff Matthias, thanks for the input. The boring side of me tells me that I'm not good enough to risk crashing a more expensive heli just yet. The dreamer side of me ('the devil on my shoulder', if you like) tells me that I can afford to take that risk and go forward into a bigger heli, so why not go for what I want and can afford.

I'm under no pressure to make that decision just yet, maybe after this weekend.

Bye now!

Smoggie

Phil,

It varies between brands but if you are looking only at Align helis then the 550 and 600 share a lot of components. For instance the complete head assembly, most of the drivetrain, complete tail assembly, servos, FBL, landing gear and a host of other minor stuff are shared between the two helis. For this reason maintenance and repair costs are much the same between the two. Where the biggest difference is in batteries. The 550 uses a single 6s 5000mA whereas the 600 used two 6S of around 3000mAh in series.

IMHO the main advantages of the 550 if you have ambitions of getting a 700 (or even the Velos 880) is that they all use the same 6s 5000mAh batteries.

Having said all of this... You already have a 550 so if there would be much point getting another one I'm not so sure (I appreciate that this is rich coming from someone with more helis of similar size than i can shake a stick at!)

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi Steve, all feedback is appreciated (you devil :biggrin1:).

Right at this moment, I am suffering from the news of having to pay almost 2,000CHF for dental work to fit a crown after breaking a tooth. I had a repair in 2014 that didn't stand the test of time and I didn't want to return to the same dentist to argue the point. Sobering news, which has seriously knocked my enthusiasm for spending money just now. The main thing that's stopped me from rushing out to buy a 550 or a 600 T-Rex is my determination to work with my 550 to resolve the issues and not just go buy another kit to build instead. Given another couple of days and I may have worked it out of my system and return to the true path of heli buying.

I was greatly influenced by your tip on batteries, so I must say that the T-Rex 600 doesn't fit the bill as an emergency spare for the 550 should I decide to buy one now. Of course, I have no intention of having a spare for every heli I will ever own, but I've learned the pain of not being able to go flying while the 550 was out of service :boohoo:

I'm meeting later today with my financial director (my wife), who, I'm sure will help me through the current dilemma :banana:

murankar

Staff member
Just like the Goboin 500 and 570 share parts. So when I made the jump to a bigger frame I looked at a shload of 550 class helies. When it came to Goblin I wanted to stay in the 500 range and had to options, the 500 or the 570. At first glance the 570 looked more expensive but once you look at component costs it is an par (for the most part) with the 500. Plus the Goblin is very reliable.

When making this jump research crash costs also. What you will find is some manufacturers will reuse parts on other frames when necessary to save a design and kiting costs. In turn this saves you money. So do some home work and find out what will work for you.

Just so you know Tony and Smoggie know more about Align than I do. Because of that I don't know their frames all that well.

Top Bottom