Servos Align DS520 Sticking Problem

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Gentlemen,
A person I mentor ( a new RC heli fellow) has a sticking DS520 servo that behaves ( or misbehaves) exactly like what you'll see in the following video:

Servo Stick - YouTube

The servo would get stuck after about 20 cycles and remain stuck until the operator "helps" it a little. The servo is still new. Suggestions, please!

Tony

Staff member
Just an FYI, the servo section doesn't allow HTML, so the iframe code will not work. But, if you click share under the video and copy the short code, it will work. The second link is what will work, but when it adds it to the other post, for some dumb reason it won't embed that code. Not your fault, ti's the forum and there is no fix. But I fixed the thread.

as for the servo, I would take it apart and check for dirt in the gears, if that doesn't fix it, then check all of the connections. If that doesn't fix it, then it's time to call in for a recall. Soemthing is wrong with the servo or the gyro. Oh, try plugging it directly into the rx and bypass the gyro.

Lee

I would be looking at the pot inside the servo. Maybe there is some grease on the track. Give it a clean and see if that helps.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ds420...

Yes like tony and lee said open and look for dirt and change out the gears. It's a plastic gear servo .. Gears are cheap.

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Westy

LEGEND
Looks like a potentiometer issue.... some foreign material inside the Pot.

Isopropylene is your friend here ...... and an air line to blast it out.

It is kind of like ... when your brushes are getting worn our on a starter motor on a vehicle.... it clicks ... clicks ... clicks and will not crank the engine.... then you hand turn the engine a little and then try it again .... or turn the armature if it is on the bench and then try again ... and bang it fires into life.....

Dust is a poor conductor and can easily cause a mechanical issue like this. Let us know how you go.

Last edited:

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Just an FYI, the servo section doesn't allow HTML, so the iframe code will not work. But, if you click share under the video and copy the short code, it will work. The second link is what will work, but when it adds it to the other post, for some dumb reason it won't embed that code. Not your fault, ti's the forum and there is no fix. But I fixed the thread.

as for the servo, I would take it apart and check for dirt in the gears, if that doesn't fix it, then check all of the connections. If that doesn't fix it, then it's time to call in for a recall. Something is wrong with the servo or the gyro. Oh, try plugging it directly into the rx and bypass the gyro.

Regarding the video, I am a little confused. Isn't the 1st link in the original post a embed code?

He has tested the servo directly plugged into the RX. It is not the 3GX.

Do you know if Align has a point of contact for defective parts?

CHet

Hi guys,
I am the one with the sticking servo problem. I took out the gears & they are in excellent condition. How do I access the pot?

CHet

I have found the problem with the servo. The clearance between the gears & the cover is too small. When I loosen the 4 bottom screws slightly, this solves the problem.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I would check the bearing and make sure the rods are all the way in the holes in the case. and thanks for signing up.

As for the embed question, the iframe code is HTML and it's turned off in this section of the forum. However I have installed some software that will convert the second link you posted into an embedded video. All it really does though is it puts [ video]youtubeURL[/video] brackets around the link which will embed the video. This is what's known as BB Code and is separate from html. If you would like to do this manually, you can either click the video button above the reply box (looks like a film strip) or you can put the same code in front and behind the URL, less the space in the first one. I put the space there so it would show up without trying to embed. Hope this helps explain it a little easier. Also, at the top of the forum, there is an "RCH How-To" button. If you click on that, I have a video in there that explains some of the video embedding options.

CHet

I am happy to be on this site. Hope to learn a lot.
Thank you for your advice on this issue.
I have checked the bearing shaft & gears. They are fine.
I do believe that it is the cover. Plastic can be affected by temperature.
When this unit was in Ohio, it worked fine. The problem is here in Florida.
Under full tightening of the screws, the cover may be slightly twisting.

Cheers Chet

Top Bottom