700 Align 700E Headspeed

Dirk

What head-speed are you guys running on your 700's?

I played around last week with some head-speeds and settled on 1550 in normal, 1700 in IU1 and 1850 in IU2.

The 700 sound awesome at these head-speeds!! Goose bump material. Cyclic response at the low head-speed is perfect. I even tried some flips at the low head-speeds. Now, that is a sound you must hear to believe!

At IU1, I flew for 9 and a half minutes doing some sport flying and still had 38% left in my lipo packs. Now is that cool or what? :arms:

Unless you are a smack 3D pilot, I see no reason to run hypersonic head-speeds.

Lee

If it works for you Dirk, then thats the right head speed :)
Normally 700s run around 1900 on the low side up to 2200 unless its a Speed machine, or a mad 3D master :D

Dirk

Well, seeing that I am in no way a speedster or a 3D master, I'll stick to these head-speeds for now. Extends the flight time quite a bit. Thanks Lee.

Lee

What are your throttle curves? If its around 50/60%
The only issue is, some ESCs/Motors don't like to be run at such a low throttle. Doesn't do them much good.
The YGE/YEP ESCs have a thing called Free wheel, which allows the ESC to run at lower throttle.
If you have a low TH, it may be an idea to run a smaller pinion the get the head speed down and the throttle curve up a bit

Last edited:

Dirk

I've read about that. According to my Castle Link, I am running at 72% efficiency in normal mode. I am running a 12t pinion and a 112 tooth main gear on my 700. I downloaded the graph and the highest temp on the esc was 49 degrees Celsius during my 9 and a half minute flight. Outside air temp was 22 degrees.

Lee

I don't presume to be an expert, just observations, :D
72% efficiency means 28% Heat.
ESCs like to run close to 100% to stay cool, but at least 80%.
If the ESC is hot to the touch, I would consider the smaller pinion.

Dirk

I'm running 0-30-30-30 in normal mode, 70-70-70-70 in IU1 and 100-100-100-100 in IU2.
Max temp on the ESC was 49 degress C.

Graham Lawrie

One thing to consider is the design of the motor:) As Lee said they need higher speed. Incorporated in the design of motors are ways of keeping it cool. In industrial motors there are cooling fins and fans to help facilitate this.
I can only assume that as part of the motor design there is more air flow at faster speeds thus help the cooling process:) Slower speeds less air more heat:) just a thought:)

stokke

How will the efficiency work out on my new setup then? I have an oversized ESC compared to what the motor can draw on the Agile. My scorpion has a continuous draw of 100A (230 peak), that's 60 amps in spare on the Castle 160 - so I'll have trouble getting the ESC working above 80%

Should I have gotten a smaller ESC to get better efficiency?

pvolcko

No. You'll be fine. Motor efficiency is highest at full throttle. That full voltage. You're 160A ESC's 100% throttle is the same as a 120A ESC at full throttle. The difference the 160A esc will handle higher current draw by the motor. By "oversizing" with the 160A esc you should have a pretty cool running esc with plenty of headroom for peaks.

stokke

No. You'll be fine. Motor efficiency is highest at full throttle. That full voltage. You're 160A ESC's 100% throttle is the same as a 120A ESC at full throttle. The difference the 160A esc will handle higher current draw by the motor. By "oversizing" with the 160A esc you should have a pretty cool running esc with plenty of headroom for peaks.

Nice. Thx Paul

Dirk

I'm running an Align 470Kv motor on my 700. Main gear is 112t and pinion is 12t. I downloaded the data via the Castle Link and the esc temps went up to a maximum of 52 degrees. (Outside ambient temp was around 26 degrees Celsius) Both the ESC and the motor were barely luke warm after the flight. Should I worry? I really enjoy my 9.5 minute easy flights. Batteries are around 36% left after landing which means I am only using 64% of the battery.

Tony

Staff member
Wow, I"m WAY behind on the forum lmao. Sorry for the late response.

You don't have to worry about things being too cold. If you are getting cold temps after 9.5 minute flights, more power to ya! Keep up the good work and post video!!!

Dirk

Man, I LOVE this 700!!! I love it so much that I sold my Trex 450 Pro DFC. Flew the 450 over the weekend and to be honest, I did not enjoy it. I must get someone to take some video soon.

tperk

Hi guys I am thinking of getting a Align 700E dominator, I have been flying a 600 nitro heli and I am concerned about getting in to electric, do to short flight time, should I be concerned. what batteries are you guys using and what head speed are you using, what flight time are you getting out of your batteries? It looks as if the nitro helis are dead, I am sorry to say. I am ok with going to electric, if I can get 6 or 7 minutes flight time. I was thinking two 6 cell of 4500 amp Pulse batteries. Any help would be great.

murankar

Staff member
6 to 7, maybe if you keep the weight down and head speed low. Disadvantage to electric is the cost of the battery. I think the cost per tank vs cost per cycle is close.

You might want to look at everything and see what the flying weight is going to be. Once you know your flying weight you can compare disk loading stats against your nitro. If your electric is lighter then you MIGHT be able to close to six minutes of light flying. Hard 3D will cut your times down a bit.

Your head speed can easily be around 1900 or 1950. Not sure how you feel about low head speeds.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom