Align 500 build

myndset

Getting ready build my Align 500 FBL and saw a thread on Helifreak and the guy takes the tail all the way down to clean and lube and lock-tight etc. Now on u tube there is a 500 build done by an Align rep and he just takes it partially down and does the same (lube lock-tight etc.) my question is how far down do I need to go on this thing?

zenmetsu

I have a 500 that I am building. I took everything down and loc-tited every screw.

The pitch slider has an inner shaft piece that was not screwed down tight at all, so it is important to check everything from the factory. The small screws (phillips head) in the tail assembly are probably loc-tited, but they may be too tight and causing binding. There may be plastic parts here, so be careful that you don't get loctite into the brass bushings or onto the plastic. You want to tighten those screws down until the tail slider just starts to bind and then back them out until it is free moving.

I cleaned all my screws with acetone to remove old loctite. This is a good practice to get into.

myndset

Thanks Bro, I suppose it's not as hard as it looks especially given the fact that I have an excellent thread on Helifreak that pretty much shows how to do it all. I'm just paranoid about my building skills. I just need to relax and enjoy the build. I am a complete newbie to Helis. I have past experience with Rc Planes and cars, so that should be some help. Soo here goes. he he

stokke

Recommend disassembling everything, this is a great way to learn as well as being sure everything is put back together nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

ps. We all had to just dive in at one point ;) Good luck

Lee

Take your time. Enjoy the build, you'll learn lots about the heli that way. Take everything apart down to the last screw, see how they work together. Never trust that the factory has put lactate where they are suppose to.
Good luck

Edit: my auto spell checker put lactate instead of loctite. But i'll leave it in for comedy value. :D

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Take your time. Enjoy the build, you'll learn lots about the heli that way. Take everything apart down to the last screw, see how they work together. Never trust that the factory has put lactate where they are suppose to.
Good luck

Why would the factory put milk on the helicopter? :lmao:

myndset

My Bad

- - - Updated - - -

I love Brests Tony lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

Good advise Lee and funny as well. Good one.

- - - Updated - - -

To keep us coming back for more. lol

makarthur

Hi,

I am a newbie and building my first heli kit.

When I try to take down the rotor head, I found the screens are very tight. I worry too much strength will twist the tiny hex key (1.5) I am using. Would like to have some guidance on how to take down factory assembled parts.

Thank you in advance.

bbj

Some may be tight but they still need to be taken apart. If your referring to the screws that hold the main bearings and grips for the blades you will need 2 tools since each screw will just turn the shaft without the other screw held. You can also find some great youtube videos by Aligns Jeff Fassbinder about building the 500. The 550 is almost the same and it may help as well.

Tony

Staff member
You can try touching the bolt or grub screw with your soldering iron for about a minute or two. If there is thread lock on the threads, it should loosen it up and let you remove it. If that doesn't work, may have to get a heat gun or small butane torch and heat it up that way. Warning though, it will discolor the metal if you get it too hot, so be careful!

makarthur

You can try touching the bolt or grub screw with your soldering iron for about a minute or two. If there is thread lock on the threads, it should loosen it up and let you remove it. If that doesn't work, may have to get a heat gun or small butane torch and heat it up that way. Warning though, it will discolor the metal if you get it too hot, so be careful!

Tony,

Thank you for your advice.

It works. I used my soldering iron to heat up the bolt and the screw is easier to turn.

Makarthur

Top Bottom