450 Align 450 Pro Tail Boom Issue

Tomhintz

I was having problems stripping out the inside of the umbrella gear on the main frame end of the tail boom. It looked like the spline on the drive tube was not fully engaging the internal splines there. Because I only saw this on the main frame end I focused on that when trying to find how it was happening. But, I could not find why it would do that. then last night I crashed (got way too brave) and tail.jpgknocked the tail boom off. When I replaced the boom tube I found what you see int he photo. I had not gotten the tube seated all the way int he metal housing at the tail rotor. I found a small burr that was stopping the tube from going all the way in. I cleaned the burr out, installed a new tail boom tube and all is fine.

tail.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that would be a problem. Glad you found it, and glad this wasn't the cause of the most recent crash.

Tomhintz

Yup, that would be a problem. Glad you found it, and glad this wasn't the cause of the most recent crash.

The tail boom was innocent in this last crash. this was all me. I had been making turns and stuff int he yard and for some reason decided that wind or not, I could go ahead and fly circles in front of me. I did one but got hit with some wind on the downwind end of the second circuit, ti dropped, turned sideways more than I expected and my thumbs gacked - crunch. It wasn't bad and I had everything to fix it and have flown it today already. everybody remarks about how smooth it is in the air. I am getting better at sticking this thing back together!

Tomhintz

Been flying it all day and all is fine. I have changed to a DX8 transmitter and for some reason the pitch stick seems very touchy. So far I can't find any logical way to soften that response without deadening everything else which feels fine. Saturday I shoujld be abnle to hook up with my buddies at the field who fly the same combination of helo and radio. Until then I am patrolling the back yard from dawn to dusk!

Tony

Staff member
Go into the Swash menu and lower the Pitch number. You will be lowering the overall max of the collective pitch of the blades. Put a pitch gauge on the heli and check it, then lower 2º at a time until you like how it feels.

Tomhintz

Go into the Swash menu and lower the Pitch number. You will be lowering the overall max of the collective pitch of the blades. Put a pitch gauge on the heli and check it, then lower 2º at a time until you like how it feels.
The AR7200BX has a total collective menu so I went in there and reduced total positive and negative pitch to 12.5 from about 13.4 each way. Before that I also made sure everything was zero'd out at mid stick and found half of a turn on one blade/pitch link so hopefully it will be a little better. baby steps and lots of practice...just can;t get away from that and expect anything good to happen!

Tomhintz

I just put in a couple flights with the 450 at the lower overall collective pitch and that does seem better. I am going to fly it like this today and tomorrow and then go out to the field to meet up with the other guys and see what they are doing in this regard. It surprised me how close all of the setups are out there and these guys are doing all of the 3-D stuff (with rare crashes to boot) so for my hovering around fliying I shojld be able to get it pretty decent!

Tony

Staff member
Doh, I'm glad you caught that. I'm so used to just adjusting things in my Tx that I keep forgetting about the BX having it's own functions. Hope it all works out for you.

Tomhintz

Just a note tyhat dsionce fixing this issue with teh boom the 450 is flying smoother and quieter than ever. I have tons of flights on it since that fix and e3verything still feels like brand new. No play, no change in gear lash, jsut a drop of oil now and then and keep flying. I did have to tone down rudder control just a tick as it was way more responsive with everything seated right, I think mainly becuase the servo arm was actually 90-degreees to the boom now to get full throw.

Tomhintz

Just checking in. I am still flying without a crash! I continue to do lots of hovering, working on hovering 90-degrees to either side, about to start on nose-in hovering. Have been doing some small forward flight with banked turns, sort of an S from either side. Taking it easy and getting comfortable with one thing before I jump on something else. Hovere3d a friends Align 550 Sunday and have decided that will be my next helo, maybe around Christmas as I have a new plane coming in the next couple weeks that is new to the market and I have to get on that for reviews and such.

EyeStation

Good Job on keepin' her airborne Tom. The flying steps you are taking are quite logical. Take your time and enjoy the Air Time.

Top Bottom