General Align 450 DFC RTF kit and the T6 transmitter problems and questions

roadking

I purchased a RTF kit and was excited about flying it. I looked it over and everything looked ok so out to the back yard I went. I spooled it up slowly and it lifted nice and all of a sudden it started to get away from me. Once I got it back down and tried again I found it to be extremly hard to control and finally creahed it. It was not a hard crash with (no apperent damage) so I spooled up again and it was even harder to control so I checked it out and found a stuck servo. Now 3 crashes later I am doing a total rebuild and found bent tail rotor shaft and main shaft all 3 servos needing new gears and main gear was damaged . I was able to get it to hover a few times but it was very challenging. Now to my question, Is there a good video on the Align T6 radio anywhere for this setup. I watched the one by Jeff F. and was still a bit confused. I was under the impression that the radio was set up for novice and 3D flying, not the case. I found in small print that you have to inable idle up in the radio programing for 3D and that is all it said. Do I need to reprogram the end points or dual rates ? I figured out how to program the radio but don't know what settings I should use to make it more docile I have been unable to find a good video like Tony made for the spektrum radio. Nice video and that is what drew me to this site, that and I feel more at ease here than another site I have been a member of since 2006, you guys seem like you really want to help and not criticize and I thank you for that.

Also what is the difference between the 3gx and 3gx mr or mrs ?

I went back to flying the old 450xl/ark combo bird (don't ask) but it works for back yard fun.
Thanks
Bob

murankar

Staff member
First off I don't have either of the 3gx or mrs so I can't say.

As fIraqi the settings, all the numbers Tony uses in the video will work for your setup.

If you are flying a t-rex clone and its not tarot, then use align or tarot parts to replace with. I found my tail output shaft bending on hard landings and so I started using tarot. I had no more problems with it after that.

As for making it easier to fly, 30% d/r and about 75% expo should be a good starting point.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Nez

I purchased a RTF kit and was excited about flying it. I looked it over and everything looked ok so out to the back yard I went. I spooled it up slowly and it lifted nice and all of a sudden it started to get away from me. Once I got it back down and tried again I found it to be extremly hard to control and finally creahed it. It was not a hard crash with (no apperent damage) so I spooled up again and it was even harder to control so I checked it out and found a stuck servo. Now 3 crashes later I am doing a total rebuild and found bent tail rotor shaft and main shaft all 3 servos needing new gears and main gear was damaged . I was able to get it to hover a few times but it was very challenging. Now to my question, Is there a good video on the Align T6 radio anywhere for this setup. I watched the one by Jeff F. and was still a bit confused. I was under the impression that the radio was set up for novice and 3D flying, not the case. I found in small print that you have to inable idle up in the radio programing for 3D and that is all it said. Do I need to reprogram the end points or dual rates ? I figured out how to program the radio but don't know what settings I should use to make it more docile I have been unable to find a good video like Tony made for the spektrum radio. Nice video and that is what drew me to this site, that and I feel more at ease here than another site I have been a member of since 2006, you guys seem like you really want to help and not criticize and I thank you for that.

Also what is the difference between the 3gx and 3gx mr or mrs ?

I went back to flying the old 450xl/ark combo bird (don't ask) but it works for back yard fun.
Thanks
Bob

hi bob,i have the same 450plus rtf with the T6 Tx,do as murankar as said play with your D/R (dual rates) and EXPO

this is my EXPO, channel ^1- 35, v+0
channel ^2- 35, v+0
channel ^4- 20, v+0
^ is channel up as seen on your t6 radio
v is channel down as seen on your t6 radio

this is my D/R channel ^1 90
channel v1 90
channel ^2 90
channel v2 90
channel ^4 90
channel v4 90
iv tired to explain as you will see your D/R and EXPO in your T6 radio,hope it helps,if not just have a play with different numbers
if your struggling to find any info on the align t6,try lookin for info on Futaba J6,its the same radio

3gx mr,the mr in the 3gx means mico receiver,no need for a separate receiver,all in one little box;)

also the two antennas on the 3gx mr unit,make shore they stick out of the side of the carbon frame,i had problems losing connection with the heli in mid flight and crashed ALOT:damnit:,the antennas was tucked inside the carbon body originally,not good

hope that makes sense to you bob,im not the best at explaining meself through keyboards and computers;)

roadking

Thanks for the advice and I do understand your explanation. I got parts today and just took a break from the rebuild and I must say I am very dissapointed at what I am finding.
While putting new boom on I discovered that the tail servo is bad also. I only ordered gears for the front three. I don't see how all 4 servos could be toast. I am also finding a few stripped thread holes in the plastic stuff like one of the blade grips, not good.
My D/R is now 70/100 on ch1 70/100 on ch2 and 100/100 on ch4 the tail control seemed ok untill the last crash and I think that the servo stuck because of earlier misshap.
My expo was -30 so I went to -35 /-10 same on ch2 and left ch4 at 0 . I did not change the end points all are set at 100 except for ch 6 it was at 60% and the video I did watch (not Tonys) said to set to 50% and that setting controls all 3 for swash ?? I think ! anyway I set mine down to 50.
I did notice the antenna are inside the frame with about a 1 inch piece sticking out the back under the tail servo area.
Thank you guys NEZ and MURANKER for the replys. It will be a couple of days before I will get to try it out again. I need to get another tail servo.
Nez I would like to know if you had to inable your idle up function in the radio and did you have to re program anything for the higher rates?
Thanks again gentelmen
Bob

Nez

hello bob,yes pull them antennas to outside the frame bob I had no end of problems at first,now that there on the outside its been spot on

iv had to replaced the servos after every crash(antenna problem),the DFC head is hard on servo's in a crash,but never needed to replace the tail servo as yet(touch wood)

iv not used the idle up on yet,just getting normal flight nailed first,but if you want to get to the settings in your radio

turn on radio
on your screen you have 45MR in pre-set ch2
now press and hold MODE button till it beeps
now the number 2 will be flashing
now push the silver DATA button down once - pre-set ch1,now you should have 450 on the screen,now I think this is for 3D
if you push the silver DATA button up + pre-set ch3,twice you should have 25MR on your sceen,now i think this is for SPORT
then just push the END putton the get out the settings

just make shure you have throttle hold on if you try them settings bob

hope this helps
nez;)

Nez

also bob I think you need to keep you D/R the same each way,ie ^70/v70 and not say ^70/v100,try and keep the numbers the same ^,v
but in EXPO not so much,i also put some 500 skids on me 450 so it doesn't tip over as easy and also as a bigger foot print,looks a bit leggy but till I get to master it ill keep them on

roadking

Nez, I will pull the antenna outside of frame, also I did find model #1 450 but I did a reset and practiced programing that one to get familiar with the radio. I didn't look for any other models but I did inable idle up for model #2 on switch c with a delay before it goes into idle up. I don't think the other programs model 1 or model 5 will work with the 3gx but I am not 100% positive about that, I would need to find out before using them.
I noticed you are new to this forum like myself, were you a member of the other (big) heli forum before? just curious.
Thanks for all your suggestions it's nice when someone else has the same setup and experience with it.
Later
BB ( Bob Budde)

Nez

yes bob been a member on a couple of heli forums,but not much time to post on them,im not a lover of computers to be honest im a bit old school.
that's how I got me head round the radio,by just getting in there and playing with the settings,iv just got a DX7s and I find this radio a lot better for programing will replace the 3gx mr for beastX soon as money lets me,also got a second hand align 500 that just needs a FB unit Beastx on that one to me thinks,costin me a fortune this hobbie:eek1:,but it will be worth it once they are done

Tony

Staff member
I wish I knew more about the T6 Tx, but I just don't know anything about it. It's based off the Futaba, and even those I have never had my hands on. sure wish I could help.

Nez

yes Tony its a futaba j6 radio,not the best radio for a newbie get his/her head round,i'v struggled with it to be honest ,if I had me time again I would go spektrum and build my own heli ,that way you know how the heli goe's together and that everything's as it should be.

iv rebuilt my 450 three or four times now(no fault of mine mind) so iv picked up how they go together and I quite enjoyed the rebuilding of it too, witch I didn't expect:)

roadking

Tony, Thanks for your concern, with help from Nez and a few hours with the manual I believe I now have a handle on the tx. After the new tail servo arrives and the weather cooperates I will know for sure.
Thanks again
BB

roadking

Nez, Hate to bother you again but I have another question, after watching Tonys video again I checked my gyro direction correction and found mine is backwards. When I tilt the nose down the swash tilts forward, same with the back and side to side all backwards. I was wondering if your heli was or is the same. According to Tonys video when the nose tilts down the swash should tilt back and so on. also I noticed my swash plate only tilts a very small amount and then centers, in Tonys video the swash tilts quite a distance and stays there until he corrected the angle then the swash leveled out. I am not sure how to correct this because the 3gx mr unit seems different than the one in the video not to mention the tx. The video is part 2 in the 3gx how to about 5 min. in.

Nez

hi roadking,its no bother bob if I can help I will pal,if I tip my nose down the swash compensates and tilts back and vies,versa if I tilt it left the swash compensates and tilts right, tilt right the swash tilts left so its always trying to level the swash plate out,are you shore your not in the 450 mode in your tx,cause I think that reverse's your swash movement Mmmm,something not right bob,dont try and fly it like that will be very hard to control, I don't think its a big problem just probably something and nowt to fix

ill dig me manual out and have a gander

Nez

right bob go in to your settings in your TX and go to REVR these are my settings,see if yours match them

ch 1 NOR
ch 2 NOR
ch 3 REV
ch 4 NOR
ch 5 NOR
ch 6 NOR

and make shore your swash(SWSH in your tx) is set to H-1

take a look at yours and see if they match if not copy mine and give it a go

then get back to me,its a starting point;)

roadking

I sent an email to align asking about the gyro direction correction setup for the 3gx and the T6 TX. They actually sent back a phone # and said Timcan helpe on the phone. I called before noon and was told Tim is running late today and to give him about one and a half hours and call back. I did mess with the 3gx and had all kind of flashing green lights. now when the nose is tilted down the swash goes down in the back but not much and not for very long. You can hardly see it the only way to see it is to watch the servo arm go down. Even if I leave it tilted nose down it onlc compensates for gust a split second then levels out, nose still down unlike on Tonys vid when he holds the heli nose down and keeps it there ths swash tilts way back and seems to stay there. Did you get a chance to watch his video?. I am not missing any flying time because of the weather but I sure would like to get this corrected.
Later
BB

- - - Updated - - -

My settings in the TX are the same. I didn't see your settings till after my reply.

Nez

ill give tonys vidio a watch now,its defo the 3G mr wants a reset me thinks,the manual is no help on the 3g mr,no wonder people dump this unit,i cant wait get rid of it,if anything go belie up on mine,i have no chance get me head round it,it had a page were it shows how the swash should tilt,and if it tilts the roung way go to page 26 in the manual,page 26 is all about the battery charger lol,its a joke

I feel your pain bob

roadking

Well I just got off the phone with Align (Tim) . He said there is no changing the 3gx MRS because the direction the swash moves depends on how 3gx MSR is mounted !! Upside down with wires towards tail boom. That is how mine is but he also said the roll rate should be set at 8 o clock I tried to turn mine down to 8 and it would not move ?? turns out mine was turned all the way down to 5 o clock area. I don't know if that was a problem or not Tim said any higher than 9 or 10 would make it hard to handle. I am thinking at a setting around 5 my 8 yr old grandson should have been able to fly it.
Ok all new servo gears in the 415's, new main gear and main shaft tail rotor shaft, checked feathering shaft its not bent. Swash plate very sloppy so new one is on the way along with a new 425m tail servo new tail boom and boom supports .($$$$$ very understanding wife) it's new again and now I have expo -35 on ch1 & -35 on ch2.
I also changed the D/R to 70/100 and according to Tim it may be too much with expo and lowered D/R. We shall see . I will let you know how this turns out hopefully next week the weather is suppoes to be very cold and windy for a few days.
Don't give up on the MRS yet lets figure this out and maybe we can help someone else down the road, I don't think many people have a handle on this goofey thing.
Thanks for all your help mister !!
BB

Nez

That's good of them to phone you up and explain and help like that, fair play,good luck with it BB

Top Bottom