FBL Gyro Align 3GX Flybarless System

murankar

Staff member
this would be better placed under heli gyros.

Its hard to say since Align dropped support back during the windows 8 platform. It appears that windows 10 does not offer the ability to run as a different windows environment. One thing to check is to plug in your gyro to the pc. go to device manager and see if you have any errors for your gyro on the usb devices. If you have the yellow triangle then you will need to manually install the drivers.

If you have the funds I would just toss the 3GX since Align did drop support for it. They could not get it to work the way it should. Every update some things got fixed while more things got broke. If the funds are available look at the Vortex Spartin as your replacement. It not much over a $100 and is proving itself as a decent fbl unit. If you can afford an fbl unit in the $230 range then that open the door for a lot of great gyros. iKon/Brain, Bavarian Demon, Vbar and BeastX just to name a few. Most of those can be bought used for around $150 on the forums.

Last edited:

Smoggie

Have you got the 3GX powered (by battery or BEC) and connected to a receiver, and bound to the transmitter? If you don't have it powered up and bound then it will 'play dead'.

I used to use 3GX's myself but these days I've found there are much better options. If money is tight and if you don't object to using 'cloned' products then you could try a Kbar.. very cheap but they work great (but they are 'rip-off' copies)

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Yes there are clones but they are hit and miss. The Kbar does work and does what its supposed to. The only issue I have is that it is known to loose settings. If this happens you will have to do a complete setup again. Not much of an issue if you have the right tools. If you go the clone route then the Kbar would be the better option.

Smoggie

I've used several Kbars both 'mini' and the 'full size' versions. They have all performed faultlessly and I've never experienced a loss of settings. The only issue I'm aware of (though never experienced personally) is the odd one turning up 'DOA'. With clones you do have to accept that there manufacturing origin and quality is uncertain.

I've moved most of my fleet over to genuine Vbars and/or the Spirit now, but not due to any performance issues with the Kbars. The Spirit is certainly worth considering if you want a FBL with 'self levelling' and 'rescue' functions.

murankar

Staff member
Myself and Superbad both experienced it. I am not sure what led to his doing it but mine was due to not using it for an extended period of time. I am not knocking it or saying its bad, just stating it can happen. I bought mine off an e-bay store and did fine for the 6 months I used it. It was because of the kbar I went and got the real deal a Vbar Neo and Vcontrol. Not saying you have to go that route because $1100 is a tough pill to swallow for most common man fliers. You can how ever get a Vbar Neo for about $220 before the almost hidden fees. After the almost hidden fees you are around $330 if you choose to go that route. The pay for extras are not needed but are nice to have. I'll tell ya what though I love the Vcontrol, mostly. There are things I dont like but the things I like out weigh the negatives. The best part is that the radio knows what model your fly as soon as it links to the radio. Unless you transfer the Neo to a new model you will never link to the wrong model.

Might I digress, In the end get the best you can afford. I would personally try and at least start with the Vortex if you can. Its a high quality entry level gyro that is being improved weekly. Angelos is currently working on the Jeti integration which will essentially mocks what the Vcontrol and Neo do. I case you dont know thats where you can tune the gyro from the radio, no need for a program box, computer or android/iOS device. Shortly there after the electric governor will be developed. Just some food for thought.

Smoggie

Probably drifting wayyyy of thread topic but personally I'd not recommend the Neo to anyone that didn't plan to also go with Vcontrol. Problem being that Mikado removed Bluetooth support from the neo so field tuning to non-Vcontrol users requires hook up of a laptop by USB. Also any form of 'tweaking' from a standard Tx is now impossible, even tail gain can't be adjusted from a standard Tx. Add to this that the strange way the Neo deals with throttle curves etc means setup in a standard Tx is difficult/unusual.

I'm not sure if the removal of features previously available on the Vbar was a deliberate strategy to force people into Vcontrol or not but either way there are plenty of cheaper FBL options with better functionality for regular Tx users.

Vcontrol is really a non-starter for those wishing to fly both helis and fixed wing with one Tx (and who don't want to spend $330 on each fixed wing receiver.)

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Actually for fixed wing its about $270. I have not read anything on the blue tooth support on the neo so I cant comment on it (need to look it up though).

This discussion really is not off topic because if the OP decides to bin the 3GX he then has some info to consider.

If having tunability via cell phone or tablet then you best bet is going to be iKon. My reason is simple it has the least amount of hidden costs to get running. If I am not mistaken the iKon app is free. Next you can make your own Bluetooth TX for it and it is almost guaranteed to work. The Mikado app is $9.99 even if your using it on a K-bar, the bluetooth dongle has to be a specific dongle or requires you to jump through hoops to get it to work. I did the cell phone deal with the Kbar and with the ZYX-S gyros. I will say it did give some convenience but in the end it was not any more convenient than plugging into my lappy. Now if your only option is a tablet or cell phone then I guess its just as convenient.

As for the Neo in general, there are 2 versions of it available non-tx integrated and tx integrated. The tx integrated one is the one I use because of the Vcontrol. As for the non-tx ready, you can use any RX you want as long as you using something that is 7 channels or more. You can use 6 but you will find 7 or more even better, just because. Bank switching is the key to using the Neo, you have three separate setups at the flip of the switch. Your throttle curve, tail gains, head gains, flip/roll rates, "Dual Rates" (I believe this is agility in vstabi). If setup right then your tail gain can be adjusted through the radio. It has to be setup correctly and you have to have enough channels on the radio to do it (again 7 or more).

Down side is cost, most people cant stomach the price tag of Mikado. Its no secrete Mikado is not the cheapest game in town. One thing is for certain is that Mikado set the standard for FBL units. Downer number 2, you can brick your k-bar if you try to update it. Mikado has made sure they take out the clones. Once you get vstabi 5.3.# installed that's it don't do anything else, leave it. I have heard of folks disconnecting from the internet just to ensure they dont brick the kbar. Hell I even made sure my wireless was turned off before connecting to the lappy.

Which is going to be the best solution for someone switching from 3GX. Well its going to take research and time to find out.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself:

How much can I spend?
Do I need self level/rescue/ or what ever you want to call it?
Built in Governor?
Bank switching?
TX integration (this is becoming the latest craze)?
Support (iKon has a huge community where as Vortex does not have a huge community)?
Regular Update cycle?
How well does it sell as pre owned (you may not like your first choice or want to experiment)?
What do people in my/your area fly (going with what people have in your area is the best fbl unit)?

This is just a small list of questions to ask yourself.

P.S. I am not a rep for Mikado, I don't endorse Mikado and I don't get any kickbacks from them. I am just an average guy who just so happened to have enough money to get a vcontrol. I don't regret it, I love it and I hope you find what works for you.

Last edited:

Smoggie

No, there is no ability to adjust gain independantly of bank switching from a 3rd party Tx on the Neo. The only way to adjust gain 'in flight' is by having different values set in different banks and switch banks. You used to be able to do gain adjustment with the 'old' Vbar but Mikado took away that functionality along with Bluetooth support when they went to the Neo.

For fixed wing it was my understanding that you needed the 'Pro' firmware update to get the 'Vplane' functionality, though admittedly I could be wrong on that as I'm going on hearsay. Even so $270 or $330 makes little difference, its still ridiculously expensive if all you want is a simple Rx for your fixed wing plane.

My personal favourite FBL right now is the Spirit because that too comes with all the features 'turned on'.. no hidden costs. It also has rescue and acro rescue similar (but more advanced) to the much more costly Bavarian Demon.. and more advanced than the Neo too because the Spirit has inverted (acro) rescue and stability modes, neither of which the Neo has even with all the paid for upgrades.

But we all have our favourites so pay you money and take your choice.

murankar

Staff member
Pro firmware is $50, then its another $50 to get rescue mode. You cant have rescue mode with out pro so rescue costs about $100.

That's why I don't bash any hardware. You have to come to terms with that every brand is different. For ME the neo works and Ill talk on what I know about. For others its iKon/brain or its spirit or it can be vortex. All I can do is point out that every piece of hardware has its place. You as the consumer have to find out what it is you want. I really hate those "whats the best..." questions. That answer is going to be different for everyone.

Last edited:

Smoggie

ok, that explains it.. You need the 'Pro' upgrade for Vplane but not the additional 'Pro Rescue' (unless you want rescue function for the plane presumably?)

thanks.

I still think it's bordering on unethical to sell a product with half it's features disabled and then make you pay to turn on the features that you probably bought the thing for in the first place!. This seems to be a German thing because BeastX do the same dirty trick.

murankar

Staff member
IBM does it all the time with their servers. A customer can buy a terra bite of ram but may activate 500 gig's. Meanwhile the customer is paying a monthly fee for that 500 gigs.

It's known by most that Mikado does this. It's been their practice for a while now. Those who use Vbar agree to this because they bought it. Does it suck yes but it's how its done. Be lucky it's a one time fee for each gyro and not a monthly fee.

Smoggie

Might need to upgrade your software to 5.0.

V5.0 on the 3GX for me was terrible. I actually had the 3GX working quite well on a few helis on V4 firmware. I 'upgraded' to V5 and ruined them all!. The main problem was that the head gains seemed to be much lower in V5. I turned the adjuster pots all the way to max which got my 500 fling ok, but on the 600 and 700 (which need higher head gains) even maxing out the pots left the heli feeling loose and 'sloppy' to fly.

I guess i could have 'downgraded' the software back to V4 but instead i tried a Kbar and found it MILES better in every respect.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, just about any gyro will setup much easier than the 3GX unfortunately. I like the 3GX because of the size of it, but that is about the only thing I do like about it.

3dguy

Can someone point me in the right direction . I have a 3gx v4 and as soon as I get the skids off the ground it is doing a death wobble. I am experienced in Helis but not 3gx nothing is bent it is def an adjustment issue not sure what though

Tony

Staff member
Sorry for the late reply. When you connect to the computer, what are your cyclic gains set to? They should be around 105. ,

Top Bottom