250 Align 250 DFC Gyro Burn Ups

USAF_Ret

First, I couldn't decide where to post this... Here or the FBL thread... So I will start here.

Somehow I have managed to toast two different FBL units on my Align 250. The first one I installed was the GPRO. I had a spare one given to me, and at the risk of being ridiculed, I quite actually like them from my 550L installation. After installing and getting everything setup, it few awesome. Then after about 50 flights or so it simply wouldn't bind with my transmitter. I removed it from the heli and tried to rebind it but nothing. No lights, no servo, movements, nothing.

So I kind of wrote it off the the GPRO as I had read many blogs them 'mis-Aligned' the GPRO.

Well I happen to have the 3GX that came with the 250 kit. After some help from Tony (thanks) got it working and it flew ok. (I actually think I got better performance from the GPRO). Well again, after about 50 flights it wouldn't bind. Again, I removed the 3GX and tried to rebind, but nothing. No lights, no servo movements, notta.

So obviously I am a bit perplexed and am not really interested in burning up another FBL unit.

My instincts tell me there could be something malfunctioning with the ESC and it might be causing the FBL burn up.

Has anyone else experienced this problem. On the 250 or any other heli?

Not sure how to proceed without spending lots of cash.

USAF_Ret

trainrider06

Hi USAF! It sounds like the esc just might be over juicing your units! I'd think one of the servo's would have let go also though, but I'm just guessing, since the esc is the relay between the battery and FBL unit.....
What did ya do in the AF? I was a crew chief on F-4E's.

Smoggie

Those FBL units are good for over 8.4V.. so if the BEC was supplying too much voltage then I'd expect the 6V rated servos to fail first, which I think makes that explanation less likely. What receiver are you using?

trainrider06

He had a Gpro and 3GX Steve, thats what I was thinking that servos would be toasting like marshmallows......I'm kinda curious about this, pretty weird all those flight and then both units jacked up.

USAF_Ret

Those FBL units are good for over 8.4V.. so if the BEC was supplying too much voltage then I'd expect the 6V rated servos to fail first, which I think makes that explanation less likely. What receiver are you using?

In both instances, I was using satellite receivers.

USAF_Ret

- - - Updated - - -

Hi USAF! It sounds like the esc just might be over juicing your units! I'd think one of the servo's would have let go also though, but I'm just guessing, since the esc is the relay between the battery and FBL unit.....
What did ya do in the AF? I was a crew chief on F-4E's.

That is kind of where my mind was on this, but wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts or experiences with this.

I was a crew chief as well on cargo type planes (C-141, C5, C130, T-39, C140, C-9, EC / RC / VC -135, C-20 (Gulf Stream III), C-21 (Lear 35), C-12 (KingAir), T-43 (B737), C-17, KC10)... It's a long list... CC on F-4Es is really dating yourself. :). I don't feel so old anymore.... I retired in 1997.

When did you serve?

USAF_Ret

trainrider06

I served between 81-85, I often think if I'd just stayed in I coulda retired long ago, and not had to work till I drop dead lol
So you were MAC huh? I was in the 336th fighter squadron. Did whole 4 years at Seymour Johnson. We were TDY a lot of the times Germany, Fla, Vegas....lol all of those horrible places to be! Lol
I imagine you had to spend quite a bit of time away too, MAC is always busy hauling this and that wherever!
I was thinking about your FBL unit failures, I'd have to go along with Steve because you'd definitely have some issues with servo's if the ESC was throwing too much out. But then a short somewhere might be causing this possibly. Wonder if something is possibly grounding out somewhere?

murankar

Staff member
You retired the year I came off active duty the first time. I left the Marine Corps December of 97. Love those Marine COrps CH-47s and CH-57s.

USAF_Ret

Ok from everyone's input it looks like I need both a ESC and FBL unit. I think I am going to go with the Castle 15A and now need to decide what FBL unit to go with...

I would be interested in knowing what FBL units folks are running or recommend.

Thanks.

USAF_Ret

Tony

Staff member
Grab your 3GX and plug a single satellite into port 2 and try to bind again. If that doesn't work, try another ESC or a BEC to power it and see if that works. Also, check the ESC's output voltage to the Rx after the ESC gets good and hot.

trainrider06

....as for the FBL controller probably a mini BeastX, if you choose to use a different unit. Or the AR7200BX, but that one might be too big on there...

USAF_Ret

Does anyone have any experience with the Lynx Heli MSH uBrain Flybarless System. The description says its "Perfect for the Trex 250"?

USAF_Ret

Tony

Staff member
Looks a lot like the Ikon2, but you can get the 2 for quite a bit cheaper if you get the one like that which uses adapter plugs.

USAF_Ret

Ok just a quick update on my Align 250....

Replaced the ESC with the Castle and the FBL with the Lynx Heli MSH uBrain Flybarless System. I chose this FBL from amain.com as it came with all the adapter wires.

Setup was pretty easy. I installed just forward of the rudder servo (similar to where the 3GX was installed) and I like the ability to rotate the FBL unit around so that all the adapters and connector wires can be now routed after rather than routed forward as the 3GX required.

I got a couple of test flights yesterday and everything seems to be working fine.

So for those who are thinking or needing a new FBL for a micro, I would recommend this setup.

USAF_Ret

trainrider06

Good deal! I know just from the amount of people that have written on here the pain it is with the 3G systems how much more difficult it is to set a heli up!

Top Bottom