Scale airwolf retracts

hello folks,
looking for some advice from the pros/gurus.
i am going to be building my first scale within this year i hope
going to be building a 600 size Airwolf. wondering does anyone know
what route to go with when it comes to nice scale like retracts whether custom or
already fabricated.....
thanks very much in advance for all the advice you guys throw my way.

Tony

Staff member
I have never done a scale build, but here is a free bump for you to get someone in here that may know.

Geena

Staff member
I have never built a scale either, but I know a lot of guys who have them. Most of them are using electric retracts, because they say they are lighter, easier to set up, and most of all...more reliable. I have see the pneumatic retracts fail to deploy, or only deploy one wheel. I`m sure they both have pros and cons, but I think I would lean toward electric retracts.

Jimbo

I agree with Genna on the electric. The only time you might want pneumatic, would be for a WWII plane. Most of the time the landing gear did not come up together on them. They started the same, then one would stop, the other retract then the other one would follow.

Jim

Airwolf250

Frank
Go to Scaleflying.com They make 600 airwolf kit and you can buy a set of gear for around $70.00 usd.
I'm working on a 25o size powered by my blade 230s. I have had to make my own retracts, the rocket pod and I've installed navigation and landing lights.
I also have to make up the guns. Fortunately , I can get the guns through Ultacast and the ammo through Live-resin.

DonIMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

Frank
Go to Scaleflying.com They make 600 airwolf kit and you can buy a set of gear for around $70.00 usd.
I'm working on a 25o size powered by my blade 230s. I have had to make my own retracts, the rocket pod and I've installed navigation and landing lights.
I also have to make up the guns. Fortunately , I can get the guns through Ultacast and the ammo through Live-resin.

DonView attachment 17846

Don.....?
is this you, the man known for his awesome custom fabrication on scales and for the infamous hat???? lol
yes i know of your building skills, Sir!!!

Airwolf250

Frank
Thanks for the complement. But, Im not that Don. I'm just a good 'ol boy doing what I enjoy and enjoy what I'm doing.

Don

Airwolf250

Not on the site. just go there to look at the kits and dream. Been flying RC fixed wing since 1968. Just got int heli 2016. When in the air I found that the heli flies much like a fixed wing. Hovering, a different fish. I've got it down to about four feet. So, I say I can control the 230s but I'm not accurate.

Frank
Thanks for the complement. But, Im not that Don. I'm just a good 'ol boy doing what I enjoy and enjoy what I'm doing.

Don
You welcome sir! Well I guess there are a couple of Dons from Canada that I know now...lol
What name do you go by on scaleflying.com
Not on the site. just go there to look at the kits and dream. Been flying RC fixed wing since 1968. Just got int heli 2016. When in the air I found that the heli flies much like a fixed wing. Hovering, a different fish. I've got it down to about four feet. So, I say I can control the 230s but I'm not accurate.

It's all good, I am a beginner myself tried my hands with a 250 and could never stay up longer than 30 secs so made the jump to 450 did much better there. My 600 airwolf project will be a slow building project as I learn on my 450 and the 600 in tail and pod config.

Jimbo

Aiwolf250, I put my 230s inside an RC Aerodyne 250 scale, MD 500 and it would not lift it off the ground. What changes have you made to get this combo to work? I would be very interested.

Jim

Airwolf250

Jim.
Now you tell me lol. I,m still learning to fly the 230s.
Changes so far.
Changing Rx to AR7200bx. I need a gear channel and the AR636 uses all it's 6 channels when you use panic recovery.
Making my own esc out of 2 Emax 30a. The AR7200bx will not arm the stock esc. The esc's should be here in the next couple of days.
I'm using a DX8g2 tx. In stability mode, I'm using a flat throttle curve bumped to 70% . I find the heli works better for me when I don't lose
head speed when I change collective. I did the same thing to agility mode bumping to 80%. Hovering and landing are getting real good. If you call within 4 square feet
good.
So, no, I have not got it to flying statis. Piling all the parts on the wife's scale, it's assembled weight is just under double the weight of the 230s.
I've watched some you tube videos and I don't anticipate any problems.
Let's keep in touch as I progress.

Don

Jimbo

Something else to consider. The 230s has a driven tail motor and the AR636 with SAFE supports that. Not sure if the AR7200 does. I also don't know if it has SAFE.

Jim

Airwolf250

Point taken. That's the reason for the two esc's. Both hooked in paralell to the 11.1 source. One is hooked as normal to the throttle port. The other has the positive and negative removed and plugged into the rudder channel and only supplies power to the tail motor as per 230s. The AR7200bx does have SAFE but works differently than
panic. BTW did you ever use SAFE in the bird beside you....lol.
Have a good day.

Don

Boogs

Airwolf250, I'm wondering the amperage of your new ESC's? If you went 25a, you could use a 300X/CFX/250CFX motor. More power is never a bad thing.

Airwolf250

Boogs, I'm going to use the Emax 30a. My post above explains some of my changes and reasons. I anticipate IU1 at 80% should work and that also gets rid of
the control limitations of stability mode. If i run into overheating I'll look into more power. As you said "more power" and I say more control are not a bad thing.
Right now I have to concentrate getting a handle on the 230s. I'll keep posting as I go through this build. For now here are a couple more pics. Antenna have been
dry fit and the fuse had little or no vent on the hood. If it still looks too big after paint I'll cut her down. After all its only plastic and paint. And, us retired guys have lots of time.

DonIMG_0644.JPG IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0646.JPG

Boogs

I think my time since retiring has shrunk! Seems like there's never enough. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

Top Bottom