Sailplanes Airtronics Legend

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
This is my newest addition to my growing collection of sailplanes. This was built from a kit made in the 90's and served as somebody's unlimited competition plane. While it isn't a Supra or a Pike Perfect, it should be a solid performer. For the price it couldn't have been much better.....$50. And the guy that built it knew what he was doing. I'm 6'2" if that puts things into perspective. I ordered all new servos for it last night, so it should get flown in the next two weeks. Legend.jpg

Legend.jpg

Lee

Chris, shes a beauty. I want to get into gliders. My first attempt at RC flying was a glider that you throw and i took my radio gear out of a car i had and tried to make it fly. It wasn't very successful. :)

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
If you ever want to get into flying gliders the perfect plane is the Gentle Lady. It's so stable and light that just about anyone could learn to fly one in a day. I took mine out yesterday and got two consecutive 15 minute flights from riding thermals. Once you see it get lift you're instantly hooked! :highly_amused:

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Okay, so I'm finally maidening the Legend. I had a fun time adjusting the linkages so that the flaps would drop 90 degrees, it took me hours to get it right. Also had to mix in elevator with the flaps and aileron to rudder mixing. Hopefully it will fly okay with my small amount of sailplane programming skills :) I will try to get video of the first launch, that is if I'm not so caught up in the moment that I forget to give a friend my camera :p This is the largest plane I have flown so far and I'm super pumped! I will post an update later today hopefully. Have a good one! -Chris

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
I totally forgot to give an update after the maiden! Anyways it went pretty well. Flying an unlimited class sailplane is a heck of a lot harder than anything else I have flown, including helicopters. The launch can be scary and the turning radius is huge and there are three mixes being used at one time.........aaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!! Not anything like my Gentle Lady at all! But I can say it was exciting! Nothing beats launching a 5+ pound plane with no motor. Unfortunately I forgot to get video......but you don't want to see that first flight anyways :) My flap mixing wasn't trimmed out well

Tony

Staff member
We don't want to see video??? :hmmm: :chuckles:

Our moddow is, Video or it didn't happen lmao.

At least you got it back in one piece.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
I'll have to get video next time. To tell you the truth I never have people record my maidens, and I've never wrecked on a maiden, so keeping the same routine is important.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
No, it's called an Airtronics Legend. I actually am building an OLYIIS right now and can tell you that the wing is significantly smaller (by sailplane standards)

Top Bottom