General Airplane prop basics

callsign4223

Staff member
Ok guys, I am looking for some prop 101. I understand that a 11x5 prop is 11 inches long and goes 5 inches forward for every revolution. What I am wanting to know is what are the advantages to going with a larger or smaller diameter. What are the advantages for a larger or smaller pitch. I know that there are recommendations for prop sizes depending on the watts and kv of the motor, but what do the different extremes of those ranges give you?

OwnageKingX

Hey call sign..
2 things for a prop first the Outer Diameter of the Prop which would decide the amount of thrust produced by the Prop..second is the pitch for which you are correct it decides the forward movement of the plane per rotation of the prop..so smaller the pitch the slower the plane..greater the pitch faster the plane..however the motor load power is also a deciding factor for choosing the right prop..you can check the motor's specification to choose the allowed prop range for the motor..
choosing a prop beyond the max allowed size for your motor is only going to overload the motor at full speeds and may damage it..

Own.

Top Bottom