AIR SHOW

I am writing this post to inform you all what happened while at work today.

Well to start the day started as normal as allways. Receiving lots, doing paperwork, etc,etc.Lunch came about , nothing unusual there .I was flighing on my real flight sim.Lunch finnished worked for about an hour and went outside for a smoke break.As I was having my smoke i hear an engine sound that i know was a plane.We get planes flying around work all the time.Since i gotinto rc aircrafts i now always look up to see the plane that makes the sound.We get cessnas all the time bell 222's, edwards 35's,so hearing the engine is nothing to me.
Any ways as i look up i saw the plane and it was a US SPITFIRE.It was doing circles around the warehouse about three times.It was so low i was able to see the lettering on the bottom of the wings. Lights and smoke going the whole time. This was not an RC flying but the real thing.
It was a great day at work

callsign4223

Staff member
I live and work right next to an US Air Force base so I get to see a variety of planes daily, mainly AWACS and refueling planes, however getting to see a spitfire would be awesome. The closest I have to compare is when a pair of AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters were flying in and passed over my house at under 500 feet. I didn't even hear them until about 15 seconds before I saw them. Gives some perspective to the stories about silent killers.

Tony

Staff member
This may come as a shock, but the Chinook can fly silent as well. There was one hovering around the base during maneuvers one day and I didn't even know he was up there until I went outside and even then, I could just barely hear it. Unfortunately, they can't fly long like that.

Tony

Staff member
That is very true. They like to fly low even out here over my house. I'm right in their final flight path I guess.

murankar

Staff member
I get to see a few myself since I am about 4 miles from the airfield. The two I see the most is the C6 and the black hawk. We also see on occasion is the C9. All they do is touch and go training. When they are over the house they are turning base to final, one big half circle.

wolfman76

i got a couple of stories you will like then folks... I have lived here in hammond indiana for bout 12 years now prior to that i lived three years at the second highest point in rushville indiana which just happen to be smack dab in the middle of the flight path between grissom air force base in ohio and camp attibury in edinburg indiana i have seen a total of four different types of jets fly directly over the house there all four of them being i think the most recognizable jets there are
1) the A-10 WARTHOG yes you got it whistling death the tank buster and let me tell you whistling death does not do that jet any justice let me put it this way it was 10 minutes minimum before i heard these jets!!! yes i said jets not 1 not 2 but three of them and yeah baby they were on the deck creeping through the air so close to the ground i swear to you i could have thrown a baseball at them and stood a good chance of hitting atleast 1 of them....
2) THE F-14 TOMCAT god i love that plane or should i say 4 of them in formation hauling some serious butt if you know what i mean later they were doing attacking dive runs which i could actually see and hear them doing from where i lived yes live fire you got it right man SO COOL!!! which is typically what the majority of jets head to attibury for which is same as next 2 jets typically did there...
3) OH YES OLD TRIED AND TRUED BUT RETIRED NOW THE F-16 FIGHTING FALCON not a whole lot needs to be said about that jet really backbone of the air force for like ever....
4) AND THEN THE PREVIOUS'S REPLACEMENT THE THE F-15 YET ANOTHER VERY NICE JET...

And as a few of you know i am former ARMY NATIONAL GUARD well my old armory use to be a attack helicopter base the AH-64 APACHE AND THE COBRA ATTACK HELICOPTER before it was changed over to 681st medivac base house the HUEY AND THE BLACKHAWK I was luck enough to get to fly in a huey before i got out of the GUARDS we flew from the base in Shelbyville indiana to LAKE PATOKA in French lick indiana let me tell you what a rush the pilot calls out hold on tight we are going to make a hard turn he banked that bird hard right on its side and pulled the stick back hard OMG!!!! what a rush best time EVER!!!
BUT WAITS THERE'S MORE !!!! WHAT ELSE COULD THIS GUY POSSIBLY HAVE TO SAY AFTER ALL THAT YOU SAY????
1 weekend drill that i was doing at camp Attibury i got the privelage of witnessing 7 count them 7 chinook's come in hot and do touch n go's and unload all personel aboard in not even 5 mins. each and then cone up and gone ..... WAY TOO COOL!!! well other then when i was in AIT at Fort Rucker Alabama just outside of dothan.. we actually got to bivwack (camp) right next to an APACHE AND SCOUT HELI airfield... Man good times good times....

Tony

Staff member
When I used to work weekends, I used to see the Chinooks do that all the time during drill. We even have a pinnacle that the chinook would land ONLY the rear tires on (front hanging off) and they would load cargo, passnegers or whatever while it was sitting there is a "half hover" lol. Then watching the black hawks doing rescue simulations is also pretty awesome to watch.

You have not lived until you see a Chinook take off and go damn near vertical with full collective, and come in and stand that nose straight up just to stop in time for the runway. And when I mean full vertical, I mean the nose is facing the ground, and it's ass is in the air lmao. It's good times.

Tony

Staff member
The sad reality is, it's not as interesting the second year you see it lmao. Now it's like "Oh, he's showing off again, back to my nap" lmao.

wolfman76

LOL!!! too funny but i have to tell you bivwhacking next to the APACHE airfield cuz we also had to dig foxholes so it kind of made you feell like you were in combat... that that that would be cool but the experience it gave you....

Last edited:
Top Bottom