General Air Filter?

Hello everyone . Is there anything or a way to use as an air filter for this carb? What could I use that would work well without diminishing air flow? Does someone make somethin?
Thanks

Attachments

• 644202AE-64F9-4475-B476-55D916C07A09.jpeg
    644202AE-64F9-4475-B476-55D916C07A09.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 03FF1E27-03A8-4DE0-A8EE-AB7995B39B20.jpeg
    03FF1E27-03A8-4DE0-A8EE-AB7995B39B20.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 7

Tony

Staff member
So I found this weird when I got into the "Air" part of this hobby. I started out racing, and yea, we had to use filters. But, planes and helicopters do not use filters. My 600 Align doesn't have a filter, my Decathlon doesn't have a filter and my F4U doesn't have a filter. As far as I know, there is no way to run a filter on a nitro helicopter. Just no room.

RandyDSok

In addition... any and all air filters will diminish air flow.

I learned this even more with computer cases that use thin mesh filters, removing the filters the CPU/GPU's can be several degrees cooler... So with any IC engine, it's going to be even more constricted.

That’s what I was thinking. I’ve been hovering around here at the house and been cleaning dirt off the sides and it scared me that I may be ingesting some of this dirt. Thanks all, I’ll just try and watch where I fly.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, unfortunately that is about all you can do. Just take off and land in a clean area, which is pretty much impossible where I live.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I looked and looked but cant find this anymore. I got this from Rons Helicopters when he was still around. Its a fine mesh screen that fits perfectly over the intake and in the shroud. Hard to see but heres a picture of my 600.

Attachments

• filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 2

Geena

Staff member
The only air filters I have ever seen for nitro engines, are those they use on nitro surface vehicles. You could probably modify the fan shroud to make it fit a helicopter, but in my opinion, it`s a waste of time....and you might end up causing the engine to run hot. Because of insufficient airflow over the engine head. I have been flying nitro helicopters for quite a while....in some pretty sandy fields, and I have never had dirt, sand or anything else get into the engine.

Tony

Staff member
As much as Geena flies, if she is not noticing any scoring on the piston or cyl walls, then no one will lol. Unless you are just sitting there stirring up dirt on the ground lol.

Geena

Staff member
If I were worried about getting debris in the engine, I would just put down a sheet of plywood to take off from and land on.

Top Bottom