600 Advise for build and setup for Trex 550L Dominator

USAF_Ret

Well, I took the plunge and bought a Trex 550L Dominator and it should be arriving tomorrow (Monday). I have reviewed the build videos but wanted to see if anyone else had some words of wisdom regarding the build. I will be using the GPRO gyro that comes with the kit and the Align video seems pretty straight forward, but I have seen several questions and concerns of various chat forums on the setup. I will be using my DX18, so if anyone has some thoughts around that as well, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Staff member
I think if you just take it slow, make sure everything is silky smooth and yoru head is setup perfectly, you will be just fine. I'm hearing the GPro is supposed to be a great gyro. I really want to get my hands on one and test it out for myself just so I can say I have played with it. so if you know anyone that wants to sell, donate or lend one of the GPro's, let me know so I can get my feet wet with this gyro.

But all in all, just take your time and don't rush it. It will turn out just fine. Just don't forget to post pictures and a video of the maiden so that I can keep my sanity hahahahaha.

bbj

My build went super smooth and fast. Its extremely easy to put together and I love the extra holes in the frame that allowed me to hide my wires inside the body. Can't wait to see your pics.

USAF_Ret

Ok, Day 1 of the build complete. I am being pretty methodical and definitely not rushing through it. Here are a couple of pics.

One area that I didn't get from the manual or the build videos is the proper positioning of the lower bearing block and how it actually serves as the lower mount for two of the cyclic servos.

Trex 550L Build, Day 1.3.jpg
Trex 550L Build, Day 1.4.jpg

Overall the build is going well. I am not yet thread locking the frame pieces as I have learned from other builds sometime you have to pull stuff apart to get access to other items. I will thread lock the frame screws once I get closer to the end.

- - - Updated - - -

BBJ,

Do you have a couple of pics that show how you routed the various cables. I have a couple of ideas on how I might want to, but would like to see how others might have done it as well.

Thanks. USAF_Ret

Trex 550L Build, Day 1.3.jpg

Trex 550L Build, Day 1.4.jpg

bbj

20150224_075610.jpg20150224_075538.jpgIts hard to see the wires since they are in the frame but hope these pics help. Some of the wires are a tight fit between the motor shaft and around the back side of the servo. That's how I ran the wires from the 3 servos for the swash. The tail servo and antenna wire I ran below the main gear and then up to the Ikon. If you need better pics I could take some more if needed.

20150224_075610.jpg

20150224_075538.jpg

USAF_Ret

bbj,

Thanks for the pics. I agree that things are a tight fit, but I did get all the wires run inside the frame. I noticed that you are also running the TM1000. What telemetry values are you getting? Also what the circuit board in front of the IKON for? Just curious.

USAF_Ret

Ok, I have completed the Trex 550L Dominator build and posted a couple of pictures below.

Overall the build went pretty well. The manual was OK but I primarily used the videos from Jeff Fassbinder. Overall they are pretty good. As I said in my earlier post I don't normally locktite anything until I get it assembled. I did get all of the wiring inside the frame, but it was very tight.

Some general notes from the build:

1. The motor installation is a bit tight in the frame so I simply removed the frame spacer support just in front of the motor and it went in really smooth. (hence why I don't locktite everything.)
2. Fortunately, when I prepared the servos for installation, I used a servo tester to get them at neutral and then installed the servo horns as close to 90 degrees from their final installation. In the video, Jeff discovers he failed to do that and had to go back several steps and redo this after he already got the swash level done.
3. The GPRO software is very easy to use and walked through the process quickly. You even use the GPRO software to get the swash plate level. Additionally, the software helps you get the zero degree pitch at center stick as well as the matching positive and negative values.
4. The software parameters are all completely configurable but I opted for the 'beginner' settings to get things started for my first flight.

I have ordered the bluetooth adapter that works with most mobile devices so changes at the field should be very easy.

Hence, I took it for its first flight and it lifted off with a straight line throttle curve for Normal surprisingly easy and was level and stable right off the bat.

I had a small, slow tail wag and and did some research and a likely problem is not enough head speed. I changed the normal throttle curve to what's spelled in the manual and increased my Gyro gain to 80% and the wag seems to have gone.

Overall very pleased with the build and my first hover flights.

Trex 550L Build, Complete 1.jpg
Trex 550L Build, Complete 2.jpg
Trex 550L Build, Complete 3.jpg
Trex 550L Build, Complete 4.jpg

USAF_Ret

Trex 550L Build, Complete 1.jpg

Trex 550L Build, Complete 2.jpg

Trex 550L Build, Complete 3.jpg

Trex 550L Build, Complete 4.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Those are some awesome looking birds you guys builded. Good luck with them and enjoy!

bbj

bbj,

Thanks for the pics. I agree that things are a tight fit, but I did get all the wires run inside the frame. I noticed that you are also running the TM1000. What telemetry values are you getting? Also what the circuit board in front of the IKON for? Just curious.

I use the telemetry to show rpm's and battery voltage. My thoughts were to land if the battery voltage gets to low even if my timer still shows I can still fly. The module in front of my Ikon is Bluetooth devise which allows me to change settings at the field rather than bring my laptop along for these changes.

USAF_Ret

BBJ,

Thanks for the response.

I have read that the RPM sensor for the TM1000 is not very good. Have you had any problems with that? Also are you using the Governor feature with the Talon 90 and if so what head speed are you using?

Lastly, I am working through breaking in my new Venom 6s 5000 and am curious as to what types of flight times you are getting?

Thanks again for you help.

USAF_Ret

bbj

USAF_Ret,
The settings on my Ikon allow me to setup 3 different switch settings for different flight styles as well as rpm's for each style. But I am only using 2 of the settings for fly mode the 3rd is for auto bailout. My rpm telemetry works great. I have my gov set on the Ikon to 2200 and 2300 and my tx shows those rpms within +20. I let my Talon 90 do the soft start and then just use the left stick for elevation.

At this time I haven't flown this one yet. Been to busy with spring projects or its been either to cold or windy. So I don't know what my flight times will be yet.

USAF_Ret

USAF_Ret,
The settings on my Ikon allow me to setup 3 different switch settings for different flight styles as well as rpm's for each style. But I am only using 2 of the settings for fly mode the 3rd is for auto bailout. My rpm telemetry works great. I have my gov set on the Ikon to 2200 and 2300 and my tx shows those rpms within +20. I let my Talon 90 do the soft start and then just use the left stick for elevation.

At this time I haven't flown this one yet. Been to busy with spring projects or its been either to cold or windy. So I don't know what my flight times will be yet.

BBJ, I am working on setting up the Telemetry and wanted to confirm what RPM sensor you are using and how you connected it?

Thanks in advance.

USAF_Ret

bbj

BBJ, I am working on setting up the Telemetry and wanted to confirm what RPM sensor you are using and how you connected it?

Thanks in advance.

USAF_Ret

I used a brushless RPM sensor that is a hobbywing unit part no. 86060041. The leads from it are soldered to 2 or my motor wires that are plugged into my esc. The other plug end of the sensor I changed the connector by using an ikon gov connector cable IKN606 and plug that into my gov port on my Ikon unit. The adaptor cable IKN606 and RPM sensor I purchased from HeliDirect.

USAF_Ret

BBJ, Thanks for the reply. I have done some additional research on the telemetry capabilities of various vendors and posted a new thread on the topic. I realize that you are using the IKON while I am using the GPRO, but there may be some common ground.

Hope to get your input on the new thread.

USAF_Ret

Top Bottom