Adblocker Detected

Stambo

I keep getting the adblocker detected for this forum when it is disabled.
Any ideas why?

RandyDSok

I suspect Tony will need more info than that.... What browser and ad blocker are you using ( including the versions of each ).

Tony

Staff member
Are you by chance running any kind of VPN? I have noticed that VPN's sometimes cause issues with the ad block detector.

If not, it could just be a bug. I have been thinking about just disabling that detector and letting people do as they wish with ad blockers. No reason to turn people away because the site is overly annoying with ad blocker detected popups on every friggin page.

Stambo

I have turned off the Adblock Detector. Your issues should go away now.
Cool thanks, my adblocker is turned off for this site but I still don't see any adds, something strange is going on here.

I use Chrome, auto updated and Add Blocker Plus, also regularly updated.
On Win 7 if it makes a difference.

Stambo

Ok, I think I figured it out.
I recently changed my default search provider to Duck Duck Go (I know, weird name but it works well) which has some sort of privacy protection built in.
I white listed this site and all is well again, the adds are back.
Try turning it back on again if you like and I will test for you, as it seems I am the only one having this issue.

Tony

Staff member
Interesting. I know supporting members are put into a usergroup that don't see ads, but not sure why you are not seeing them. Other than turning off my Adblock Detector I have not made any other changes to the site in quite a while. I will look into it though.

Tony

Staff member
Just saw your latest post. I have heard of Duck Duck Go, a lot like Google but more focused to "across the pond" users unlike Google which is mostly USA ro North America focused (although they are doing better in the last few years). That is great (for the site that is) that you found the issue and I greatly appreciate you allowing ads on the site. It helps us out a lot. If you ever see an ad that is too obtrusive please let me know. I'm thinking about making more changes to the site in this matter.

As for the Adblock Detector, I think I'm going to leave it off for a while and check some analytics to see how things go without it. The pink banners I had no issue with, but that one that pops up and covers the page (dims it down with the read header) even I hated. I wanted it to stand out (hence the bright pink color lol) but I never wanted it to cover the screen. Now that I think about it, I have another one that I need to disable, but I will wait until I get some results from the current test.

Thanks again!

RandyDSok

I think it was 'AdBlocker Plus' that I was running and had the same issue, also on Chrome. I switched to 'AdBlocker Ultimate' and didn't have the issue since.

I still leave mine disabled on this forum just so there is some chance of income for the site.

Tony

Staff member
And I greatly appreciate that Randy, thank you. Every little bit helps. That's for sure.

Stambo

The big difference between Duck Duck Go and Google is tracking and biased search results.
There is a lot of that going on when you use Google search.
Yeah I know, Chrome is a Google browser but the Duck Duck Go plugin stops most of it.
Google search was ok but you get filtered results depending on what they think you should see, or not see.

Top Bottom