1. Guest, Thank you for visiting Rc-Help. Please do NOT post tech questions in this section, post them in the Tech section instead. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  3. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  4. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Adblocker Detected

Discussion in 'RC-Help Lounge' started by Stambo, Nov 24, 2018.

< Help Starting An Rc Local Club | Special Day >
  1. Stambo

Stambo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I keep getting the adblocker detected for this forum when it is disabled.
    Any ideas why?

2. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I suspect Tony will need more info than that.... What browser and ad blocker are you using ( including the versions of each ).

3. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Are you by chance running any kind of VPN? I have noticed that VPN's sometimes cause issues with the ad block detector.

If not, it could just be a bug. I have been thinking about just disabling that detector and letting people do as they wish with ad blockers. No reason to turn people away because the site is overly annoying with ad blocker detected popups on every friggin page.

4. Tony

Blog Posts:
    I have turned off the Adblock Detector. Your issues should go away now.

5. Stambo

Stambo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Cool thanks, my adblocker is turned off for this site but I still don't see any adds, something strange is going on here.

I use Chrome, auto updated and Add Blocker Plus, also regularly updated.
    On Win 7 if it makes a difference.

6. Stambo

Stambo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I think I figured it out.
    I recently changed my default search provider to Duck Duck Go (I know, weird name but it works well) which has some sort of privacy protection built in.
    I white listed this site and all is well again, the adds are back.
    Try turning it back on again if you like and I will test for you, as it seems I am the only one having this issue.

7. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. I know supporting members are put into a usergroup that don't see ads, but not sure why you are not seeing them. Other than turning off my Adblock Detector I have not made any other changes to the site in quite a while. I will look into it though.

8. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Just saw your latest post. I have heard of Duck Duck Go, a lot like Google but more focused to "across the pond" users unlike Google which is mostly USA ro North America focused (although they are doing better in the last few years). That is great (for the site that is) that you found the issue and I greatly appreciate you allowing ads on the site. It helps us out a lot. If you ever see an ad that is too obtrusive please let me know. I'm thinking about making more changes to the site in this matter.

As for the Adblock Detector, I think I'm going to leave it off for a while and check some analytics to see how things go without it. The pink banners I had no issue with, but that one that pops up and covers the page (dims it down with the read header) even I hated. I wanted it to stand out (hence the bright pink color lol) but I never wanted it to cover the screen. Now that I think about it, I have another one that I need to disable, but I will wait until I get some results from the current test.

Thanks again!

9. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I think it was 'AdBlocker Plus' that I was running and had the same issue, also on Chrome. I switched to 'AdBlocker Ultimate' and didn't have the issue since.

I still leave mine disabled on this forum just so there is some chance of income for the site.

10. Tony

Blog Posts:
    And I greatly appreciate that Randy, thank you. Every little bit helps. That's for sure.

11. Stambo

Stambo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    The big difference between Duck Duck Go and Google is tracking and biased search results.
    There is a lot of that going on when you use Google search.
    Yeah I know, Chrome is a Google browser but the Duck Duck Go plugin stops most of it.
    Google search was ok but you get filtered results depending on what they think you should see, or not see.

< Help Starting An Rc Local Club | Special Day >