Batteries Above 450 heli Bec or battery ?

treff

I wonder what others use on helis above 450. Does everyone use bec or a stand alone 2 battery
system. One for motor the other for RX and servos. Would be very interested to get some info
because coming to the end of Agile 5.5 build and can not decide what to go for. Many Thanks.

Slobberdog

Treff I think the most common setup is external bec direct from the flight pack,

But I think Lee has the best, with the external bec from flight pack and back up guard from scorpion in there as well, so if he has a bec failure or main pack failure then he still has power for an auto rotation

Lee

Yep.
I use the Castle Creations Edge 80HV ESC.
It doesn't have an internal BEC, so i have the CC BEC Pro 20A.
I have used these on all my big helis without issue.
Then I have as Kev said, the Scorpion Backup Guard or (BUG) as its called.
The Bug is a very small battery that sits dormant, until you have a BEC failure.
It then gives enough power to the servos/RX to perform a safe landing (auto rotation)
For £20, its a no brainer insurance policy :D

It also double up as a battery for testing the radio/servo/FBL gear without having to plug in the main pack, and potentially spool up my heli when on the bench :thumbsup:

Last edited:

treff

Thanks both for the info. I have very limited knowledge of the electronic set up just about enough info to write down
on the back of a match box lol. Surprised Lee on the use of CC 80 HV BEC thought that maybe on the small side but
my knowledge does not stretch that far. I looked at the 120 HV but thought it was on the expensive side. Thanks again both
I need to do more reading about the subject.

Lee

Is your Agile running on 6S?
If so then yes you need a 100A or bigger ESC.
I'm running 12S, which means I can get away with a lower Amp ESC.
You could look at the Castle Phoenix ICE 100A or the newer Edge 130A.
Both are 6S capable ESCs, but the 120HV is an awesome bit of kit, and will give you the option of using 6S or upgrading to 12S at a later date.

treff

Thanks Lee for the info. Yes 6s with option to change to 12. Yes forgot about the amp drop on the 12s motors.
Well I will have to save a few more squid. I also need sats and batteries, it goes on and on lol. Still kit
now built and it looks great but what surprised me is the weight. It's a monster.

Slobberdog

I think the optipower seems a lot more engineered, and from a great company, but for simplicity the bug has to be the easiest.

Lee

If I had the money, I would have gone for the Optipower. But at twice the price, my budget couldn't stretch.

cml001

The opti power if definitely better from what I read.. U don't have to charge it)or turn it on.. Lee..lol).. I have a seperate rx pack.. I like it.. I can power up the rx and not worry about spool up when tuning. It's a matter of choice. BEC is less to deal with tho..

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
I remembered the review on it from RCHN and thought about it. From what I hear the lights are BLINDING even in day light. It does have some nice features like the charging of the backup pack and not having to worry if you turned it on. I am sure scorpion is going to add some stuff theirs at some point to make it more competitive to the opti while keeping a the original still in circulation.

Top Bottom