Spektrum About satellite Rx's

myndset

Ok here goes. How do satellite receivers work I mean how are they different from convential Rx's . I know this sounds lame but I have to start from somewhere. I really don't understand the concept. I have not been in the RC world for 10 years and boy things have changed. Many thanks,

Dennis

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well, for one thing and most important. Your satellight rx antenna will be pointing the oppisit direction than the Rx's antenna. This give you more range to fly. Better signal distribution. That is why they work better than just having an rx antenna.

stokke

I believe the main difference between a Receiver and a Satellite is that the Satellite do not possess the tech to power servos, therefore making the Satellite only an extension of the Rx. You can only use a Sat in combination with a Receiver or a Flybarless-module, never a Sat alone to run an entire vehicle.

Tony

Staff member
Satellite Rx's are a redundant way to lessen the chance of losing signal (also known as a "brown out" on the 2.4GHz tx's). If you position your Rx where the antennas are facing front to back, then you would want to place the satellite antennas facing up and down. When the Rx is receiving a signal, there is a dead area being shot out of the end of the antenna wire that is shaped like a cone. If that cone comes to face your Tx and you don't have another antenna to gain coverage, you will brown out and lose control.

Make sure never to run one antenna front to back and the other side to side, they are effectively facing the same way. You must have one facing up and down as well.

And what Stokke stated is pretty accurate. Satellite Rx's only acquire the information and don't have the ability to decode it and send it to the servos/ESC. They have to be hooked up to something that can like a Rx or 3GX gyro (as an example). Those will decode the information and send the signals to control the aircraft.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Satellite Rx's are a redundant way to lessen the chance of losing signal (also known as a "brown out" on the 2.4GHz tx's). If you position your Rx where the antennas are facing front to back, then you would want to place the satellite antennas facing up and down. When the Rx is receiving a signal, there is a dead area being shot out of the end of the antenna wire that is shaped like a cone. If that cone comes to face your Tx and you don't have another antenna to gain coverage, you will brown out and lose control.

Make sure never to run one antenna front to back and the other side to side, they are effectively facing the same way. You must have one facing up and down as well.

And what Stokke stated is pretty accurate. Satellite Rx's only acquire the information and don't have the ability to decode it and send it to the servos/ESC. They have to be hooked up to something that can like a Rx or 3GX gyro (as an example). Those will decode the information and send the signals to control the aircraft.

So you saying the sat. Has to have the antennas pointing up and down? This is important cause on my QAV I have th rx pointing left to right and the sat. Facing front to back.

Tony

Staff member
It doesnt' have to be the Satellite with the antennas pointing up and down, it just has to be one or the other.

myndset

It doesnt' have to be the Satellite with the antennas pointing up and down, it just has to be one or the other.
Thanks again Tony and all others that chimed in. I get it now. So what do you recommend for use on my 3GX ?
many thanks,

Dennis

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention I will be using a Spektrum DX7s

myndset

I plan on using a pair of SPM 9545's with the 6 in cables and go direct to my 3GX , But I also this Spektrum Sat adapter by beastx BTXA 76009 and wonder if this is needed?

- - - Updated - - -

I plan on using a pair of SPM 9545's with the 6 in cables and go direct to my 3GX , But I also see this Spektrum Sat adapter by beastx BTXA 76009 and wonder if this is needed?

stokke

I plan on using a pair of SPM 9545's with the 6 in cables and go direct to my 3GX , But I also this Spektrum Sat adapter by beastx BTXA 76009 and wonder if this is needed?

No need for adapter. Spektrum Sat will go right in the 3GX.

Tony

Staff member
I actually posted some information in a PM to him with the rx's and the extensions. I suggest (even though you can combine them) using dsmx with dsmx and dsm2 with dsm2. However you can use dsmx rx with dsm2 tx and vice versa but I like to keep things the same. This is the reason for the two different links. Below is what I send him in a PM.

The reason I put the extensions in there is because these Rx's come with a 24" extension :shocked:

if you are on DSM2 then the SPM 9545 will work. you can find one HERE but I suggest getting a MUCH shorter cable.

If you are using DSMX, then get THIS ONE. Again, you will need a shorter extension. You may be able to call and make this change or send them an email.

HERE is a 6" extension.

Top Bottom