Chargers A very affordable charger / power supy rig that'll blow your mind!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ok

So I have been digging around a lot.. Looking at what people have done and what they use for their chargers and what they power their chargers with...

Well... I have some findings and a way in which you can in under 200 bucks build yourself a full charging rig that can do charge 4 6s 5000 packs simultaneously (in parallel) on 30A while balancing them and checking internal resistances of the packs mere 20 - 25minutes...

And.. This setup is no compromise in quality... Nothing funky... All good quality stuff which you see being used out there.. One of the best chargers in the market..

Yes!! That's right! This one is going to have some power... Want the numbers?

Power supply:
Voltage DC : 24V
Current : 47A continuous
Wattage : 1100+W (on paper)... Really 1000W total

Charger :
I306b (Icharger 306b)

Specifications:
Input voltage range: 4.50 � 38.0VDC
Charge current range: 0.05 � 30.0A
Discharge current range: 0.05 � 30.0A
Maximum charge power capacity: 1000W @ input voltage 23V (500W @ input voltage 12V)
Maximum discharge power capacity: 80W
Maximum regenerative discharge power capacity: 1000W
Maximum extern discharge power capacity: 1200W @ 40V/30A
Current drain for balancing: <500mA
Balance accuracy: <10mV
Lithium (LiPo/LiIo/LiFe) battery cell count: 1 � 6 series (In non-balance mode, expand LiFe to 12s)
NiCd/NiMH battery cell count: 1 � 25 series
Pb battery cell count: 1 � 18 series (2 � 36V)
Log Files storage: 16Mbit (31 hours)
Battery setup memories: 10
Intelligent temperature control: Yes

So yes a fancy charger lol

Ok... So here is how...

I recommend buying this charger from
EP Buddy, We Power Your RC Hobbies!
They aren't paying me to do this lol, it's just that they are the official distributors of I chargers and any warranty replacements can be dealt with straight up and their customer service I have heard rocks .

Also if you buy from epbuddy your charger comes free with a para board of your choice! What is that?

Something that'll let you charge multiple batteries with the same connector on one board with balancing.. nd you can connect multiple paranoids in series too. A real neat setup... Usually these cost 40 bucks by themselves.. Epbuddy gives you one for free and they have the others on discount (at least right now) for 17-25 bucks.. So I got a deans one for my 3S packs and an ec5 for my 6S packs. So if you just get charger and free board it'll run you about 159.99+shipping (5-10bucks)

Ok now how do we supply the 24V to it, that it needs to generate 1000W of charging power ...?

People would buy expensive power supplies that'll run then 200+ bucks sometimes 300 too just for the power supply... I couldn't do that.. But I still wanted something reliable, and something that'll have over voltage shutdown, temp runoff shutdown and all..

I turned to research and guess what ... Here is the answer

HP DPS-600PB !!

Anyone in the server/ computer industry would understand what this is right away.

It's a server's power supply. Extremely reliable stuff that you can find on ebay for mere 28-38 (for 2 supplies) bucks shipped to your doorstep..

Each is rated at

12V / 575W / 47A

So I am gonna run two in series..

People build and sell these pre built and modded for 100+ bucks and they have been around a while.

This isn't a new discovery I have made... Of introduced a new idea.. I just found this idea , as it is being used already in the RC world. Lots and lots of people use them and they are easy to mod and and just work... NUMEROUS threads on these out there.. I just want to compile one for our site here.

What will I require to complete these power supplies to power the charger?

8-10 gauge wires, connectors like banana plugs , heat shrink , solder, and a little bit of electronics knowledge..

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU AREN'T CONFIDENT IN OPENING POWER SUPPLIES AND WORKING ON THEM OR NOT CONFIDENT IN SOLDERING AND NOT SURE ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING... PLEASE !!!! STOP RIGHT HERE!

THESE POWER SUPPLIES ARE COMMERCIAL GRADE AND CAPACITORS IN THEM CAN KILL IF SHORTED!! BE CAREFUL.. RC-HELP OR ME PERSONALLY WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOURSELF OR YOUR PROPERTY IF YOU MESS UP SOMETHING. :)

Alright.. Mods needed...

1 ) shorting the data pins to turn the power supply ON.. (Doesn't require any load resistors btw)

2) if running two in series like I am going to or parallel for what your needs might be... (Point is: anymore than one) , then you need to isolate one PS's external body from its either AC ground or DC ground. So if they touch, you don't see sparks fly ..

Taking off AC ground off the supply is easy (as easy as breaking or chopping off the AC ground pin on the power cord.. But it's not safe enough.. People still do it.. I personally don't recommend it.

Taking off DC ground from casing (isolating the casing from DC ground) .. You'll only need to do it to one PS.. Preferably to the "second one"

Which in my case my second one is what will do 12-24V. (First one 0-12V)

3) (optional) reducing FAN noise as the fans can be noisy on these , so the mod reduces fan speed but still the fans act upon high temperatures and turn themselves up in rpm when they detect high temps. (Temperature sensitive / controlled feature still operates)

More details will follow as I do the mods and hopefully get time to take pics and all..

But wanted to give y'all a heads up of what's cookin.. :)

Cheers

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Tony

Staff member
If you run those in series, you will get your required 24vDC, but you will only have a max of 575w, not the 1kw that you are needing to charge the way you explained. I'm sure you know this, but just wondering where you are going to get your other 475w from to get to your 1kw rating?

Either way, it's a great way to get a bitchin' charger for a decent price.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Are you sure about that?

Two seperate supplies, two seperate AC inputs, with current sharing ... you did throw me off a bit first.. :D

but I re researched the supplies and 1000W setups, and thats what came up.. with connectivity diagrams being just series. ...

wolfman76

outstanding can't wait to see rest of this project as i will be down to make one for myself keep up the good work gaba EXCELLENT THREAD!!!

Lee

I'm having my charger replaced under warrantee, so looking to what to get next.

callsign4223

Staff member
All info stolen from
BatteryStuff Articles | Understanding Series and Parallel Battery Configurations

Series adds the voltage of the two batteries(PSU in this case), but keeps the same amperage rating (also known as Amp Hours).

From Gaba

It's a server's power supply. Extremely reliable stuff that you can find on ebay for mere 28-38 (for 2 supplies) bucks shipped to your doorstep..

Each is rated at

12V / 575W / 47A

So double the voltage for series is 24V*47A=1,128W

It sounded off to me also Tony, until I started to run the math. We are just so used to batteries where series is increased voltage and parallel is increased capacity. What parallel really is about is increased amps(amp hours for batteries). So, we really only work with watts in the engine, not in the battery generally, but watts is just V*A, and double the voltage makes double the watts.

(P.S. I know you already know all this Tony, but having it all typed out is what makes it make sense, otherwise it still looks wrong.)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
thanks for that Matt.. When Tony asked me the queston.. I started going into my current share and what not theory.. and I was like man, I am a bit confused.. NEVER did I think . just go to the B.A.S.I.C.S lol and multiply V and I ...

yes like matt said : 1 power supply : 12V X 47A = 564W two supplies : 24V X 47A = 1128W..

the one thing that actualy did come as a good result of that re research I did.. was that I found out that I am looking at 80%- 85% efficiency 902W -- 955W as a real output!

BUT HEY... 902W!! I dont need any more.. lol :D

Right now I am trying to figure out... and may be I am just thinking too complicated.. if I connect two AC power cords (positive, negative. ground) to the two supplies... and if I want to touch them together to integrate them as one single unit.. if their bodies touch.. will that create a ground short issue at any point.. I am thinking too hard.. I need someone else to may be think logicaly and help me resolve this..

and would it make a difference if I make a Y cable.. for the AC coming in ?

Derek

lol...you guys lost me on the first post, lol. If someone could get this to work, that would be pretty impressive! Good luck!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
lol...you guys lost me on the first post, lol. If someone could get this to work, that would be pretty impressive! Good luck!

Like I said in the first post mountaindewdude

This isn't the first time it's been done.. It's being used out there in the rc industry for a while now. :D

I am just reiterating and re documenting it.. So we here can take benefits from it. It's not my invention or discovery :D

Regardless I gotta make this work. :) :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Thanks for the video. His is a 2400W setup!!!! Lol that's awesome.

I can build that too as and if I want ... I think... But yeah he is also running two of the 3010b

I still haven't figured out a difference between the 306b and 3010b yet but yes that's something like what I am gonna be doing ... Without the awesome case setup .. Yet. Lol

Tony

Staff member
:homer:

Matt, you are exactly right. I was thinking wattage, and not amperage. Wow, I need to change jobs and get off this night shift lol. it's messing with my mind. Cant' even do simple math anymore. Okay, that's it, I quit...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Update:

The power supplies are working, the "turning them on " mod worked...

I was even able to isolate one of the power supply's dc ground from AC as planned

The supplies have been soldered and bullet connectors are on.

Just need to make AC power supply cords into one . Just making a Y.. And then this thing will be ready to charge!! Yay!!

Oh btw tested 12v out of individual.. And have done the serial wiring too.. Just need to turn it all on after the mods :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I will post the details once I can test that its working. Didn't wanna put something half cooked :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yeah ... Lol :D

Well actually just wanted to update everyone.:: the charging setup is all ready my friends!

The server supplies are a bit loud. But if I do another little mod.. It'll quiet down a bit more.. But for now. The charger turned on.. Checked the voltage across the two supplies and it read

24.9 V

The supplies are safe... Was a little scary but I tried to make the two supplies touch when they were on. And it was all good! :)

So I think this has been very successful! :)

Plugged in the Icharger 306b.. And the para boards. So now I will be balance charging 6 of my 2200mah 3S packs in parallel on the paranoids to start with on 2C... Then move up from there. :)

Top Bottom