500 ...a hypothetical heli blade question...

Derek

I was just sitting here thinking, as dangerous as that is, and I was wondering what would happen if you put the 520mm main blades from a 550 heli onto a 500 heli instead of the 425mm blades that a 500 heli usually has.

Any ideas?

Westy

LEGEND
they wont fit.... I think they have 12mm flange. 500 only has 10 I think from memory. you will also burn out your ESC and motor as the load will be too much for yours

murankar

Staff member
Keep in mind the 550 is closer to a 600 when talking components. Now if you really want to go bigger on the mains see if a stretch kit is available. Keep in mind again that you may have to up grade the motor and ESC to do it.

For me to stretch I would have to go 4s at a minimum 6s is preferred. So I am putting it off for now. Plus it won't fit in my case if I do stretch it.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
your motor wouldnt be able to power it..

even if you sand the blade rot down and make it fit.. (which is ok to do) .. but the blades might be too close the the tail and you can have a disaster strike like that.. you'll have to do aboom stretch and electronics upgrade making it a 550 birs again :D

Derek

Yep...that's about what I thought. it was just one of those "random" and yet "curious" things that run through my head.

Lee

The 500 is one of those machines that works perfectly as it is. The 550 has almost all the same size components as a 600. If you want to upgrade the 500, upgrade the motor ESC to something like this guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

OH MY GOD!!! 12S...20 tooth pinion...3500RPM....watching this video got my heart pounding, lol. Good Lord that was mega impressive!!!

I have no interest in upgrading anything on my heli at the current moment. I still have to learn to fly it "with confidence." I can hover pretty well and I can fly from one side to the other but I've not had my 500 higher than probably 25 feet and the only trick that I've done would be a single piro. I'm still trying to get over the size of the heli and course the mental thought of the cost of the heli. Once I get past that, I think I'll get more daring to try more. I do spend quite a bit of time on the Phoenix sim...still running orientation drills and some more advanced moves while trying to learn different orientations and bail outs. Nothing would please me more than to just take my 500 outside and fly but it's below 20 degrees and it's gonna be that way all week. That's just too cold to concentrate.

Thanks for sharing that video, Lee! That was super impressive!!!

murankar

Staff member
OMG I had enough of that. Alsaadi has some competition on his hands now. Not saying that this guy is a stud but with a 500 flying that quick you gotta know your sticks. That was way insane.

Microbus

Wow, that guy's flying is insane! That makes me realize how much I don't know. I'm just gonna go work on my orientations again...

Derek

Now how is this guy keeping the gears from shearing off? That's crazy power!

I'm thinking that because he is running a 20-tooth pinion on that heli, he is getting more "physical contact" with the main gear. More "physical contact" would mean more "traction". I'm not sure that "traction" would be the appropriate word, but it's the best that I could come up with.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yep you're right... More surface area to transfer Torque from motor to main gear..

A very well known problem with 700e ( now that I am reading about it) that smaller pinions are stripping stock main gear.. So you see align just came out with "rigid" black main gear for 700

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

xokia

The larger pinion also reduces the torque from a smaller pinion.
I think this is the answer. I'm no mechanical engineer but when it grabs a tooth its grabing one tooth at a time. So I would speculate that each tooth must be capable of holding the power. The reduced torque would reduce the sheer stresses.

Westy

LEGEND
Yep you're right... More surface area to transfer Torque from motor to main gear..

A very well known problem with 700e ( now that I am reading about it) that smaller pinions are stripping stock main gear.. So you see align just came out with "rigid" black main gear for 700

I dont know why Align have not adapted .... they should have moved to a 19 or 24mm direct belt drive .... this eliminates the issue as you now have 2/3rds tooth contact on both the main drive an the pinion.... you could increase the pinion diameter and reduce the main gear to keep the ratio the same .....

Tony

Staff member
If you make the pinion bigger and the main gear smaller, you will be losing a LOT of torque and have a VERY high head speed. To do what you are stating, you would have to make each bigger, the main gear would have to go up about 3 teeth per every tooth of the pinion to keep the same ratio.

murankar

Staff member
Wouldn't want to drop your motor kV also. My kit has a maim gear with a 120 tooth count my pinion is at 16 tooth count (really need a 15t) and motor is a 2580 kV.

If you wanted a full hard core 3d kit the pinion would be upgraded to the 18t and you would have to go 6s, which means an even smaller kv motor (I forgot right off hand the kV size).

Derek

ahhh, see...here you all have got me "thinking" again. You are talking about the main gear, motor pinion, and motor kv. On my Trex 500, I have the stock setup of 120t main gear, 13t pinion and 1600kv. If I were to go to the optional 15t pinion, that would give me more headspeed, wouldn't it?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
The 700e problem I was talking about... The torque available for the rotors decreases yes like tony said as the gear ratio becomes smaller and smaller the torque will be lower on the head

Now was there too much torque to begin with on the 700e drive train... Yes.

How did they fix it.. Yes they put a bit larger pinion ... And changed the tooth count of the main gear and improved the material

But there are two main factors :

The main gear ratio didn't decrease by much... I mean the fear ratio was somewhere at 9.5 , got reduced to 9.33..

They went with a slant (helical) main gear only so you have more surface of contact.

This is huge factor when I talk about my nitro bird.. That thing will see a lot of change as it has just exactly enough power from its engine and a change in gear ratio to a smaller one (larger pinion) will mean loss of torque so I would try to keep that in control.

As far as these electric monsters are concerned.. When you already have double the kw in the motor, that's not a huge factor :)

Top Bottom