A couple more flights

Smoggie

Thanks guys. It's been frustrating conditions these last couple of weeks. Constantly changing between sunshine and showers with the odd monsoon thrown in! I've had to bail out of every flying session due to rain. on a positive not at least it's not been too windy so conditions between showers has been good.

I installed new firmware in my Hobbywing ESC's and the spoolup is even smoother than it was before. you might see in the video just how gentle the initial spoolup is, it's the best of any ESc I've used.

trainrider06

There is another download for the HW ESC Steve? Man I can't imagine spool up being any smoother than it is already!
Will have to check it out!

Smoggie

Yes, new firmware released a couple of weeks ago but i think only for the V4 ESC range. It gives the option to adjust initial startup power so you can make the initial part of the spoolup even softer. It also fixes some issues that the ESC had when using external governors but i dont do that so cant comment.

trainrider06

Yes, new firmware released a couple of weeks ago but i think only for the V4 ESC range. It gives the option to adjust initial startup power so you can make the initial part of the spoolup even softer. It also fixes some issues that the ESC had when using external governors but i dont do that so cant comment.

i'll have to look into that, I have not really messed with much heli stuff here lately since this heat kicked in around here, plus the wind has been terrible. So my helis have sat idle. I have to get another computer too and need to download the Spirit program and the HW program also, just haven't felt like doing it lately.....

Smoggie

Some more flying today, nothing new but no accidents either!

Agile 7.2
[video=youtube_share;s-4ZVLC5xRY]https://youtu.be/s-4ZVLC5xRY[/video]

Goblin 770
[video=youtube_share;SEICbJa8b7I]https://youtu.be/SEICbJa8b7I[/video]

Goblin 630
[video=youtube_share;okpimsqaLu4]https://youtu.be/okpimsqaLu4[/video]

Smoggie

I've been flying 4 days running, pretty good weather every day although cold.

here's a pic and vid from today:
2016_1128_141003_001.jpg

[video=youtube_share;KVAeiEw-R14]https://youtu.be/KVAeiEw-R14[/video]

All helis returned home unscathed and I'm getting confidence back with the 700X after the crash a couple of weeks ago.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:wavey: Another video flight well done Smoogie. Glad to see that you are getting the chance to fly the 700X and it sounds great. You're confident that the 700X is fixed with 3 large lops right from the start. It's looking good. :damnit: mann, Hopefully Phil will get his 700X going and you two's can compare flight videos. Good luck with your bird and enjoy!

Smoggie

I'm running the Hobbywing 160A V4 in the 770.

Weights (excluding batteries) are:
  • Goblin 770 Carbon Comp = 4.03
  • Trex 700X = 3.72

Including 12S 5000mAh Turnigy batteries:
  • Goblin 770 Carbon Comp = 5.69 Kg
  • Trex 700X = 5.38 Kg

A few of points to note:
  1. The Goblin is the Carbon edition so has the lighter carbon canopy and boom vs. standard Goblin
  2. Goblin has the heavier 160A ESC (about 100g heavier)
  3. 700X has heavier motor by about 120g
  4. Both have Vbar Silverline FBL
  5. Both using ESC's internal BEC
  6. Goblin has a telemetry module (+20g)

The differenced in hardware weight pretty much cancel out so the difference you see in the all up weights are a pretty much true reflection of the weight difference of the airframes i.e. about 300g. The Goblin flies lighter due to it's bigger disk area (not that the 700X flies heavy by any stretch).

Last edited:
I'm running the Hobbywing 160A V4 in the 770.

Weights (excluding batteries) are:
  • Goblin 770 Carbon Comp = 4.03
  • Trex 700X = 3.72

Including 12S 5000mAh Turnigy batteries:
  • Goblin 770 Carbon Comp = 5.69 Kg
  • Trex 700X = 5.38 Kg

A few of points to note:
  1. The Goblin is the Carbon edition so has the lighter carbon canopy and boom vs. standard Goblin
  2. Goblin has the heavier 160A ESC (about 100g heavier)
  3. 700X has heavier motor by about 120g
  4. Both have Vbar Silverline FBL
  5. Both using ESC's internal BEC
  6. Goblin has a telemetry module (+20g)

The differenced in hardware weight pretty much cancel out so the difference you see in the all up weights are a pretty much true reflection of the weight difference of the airframes i.e. about 300g. The Goblin flies lighter due to it's bigger disk area (not that the 700X flies heavy by any stretch).

Thanks for that breakdown bro. They're closer than I thought. I just bought the 160hv from Hobbywing. I was going to put a 130 in it but figured why chance it.

mooserider

Wow! That's some seriously badass flying man! God that gives me motivation to keep at the helis. Those inside loops are just awesome!

This is probably a dumb question for experience heli folks... but why does the KDS seem less agile, more maybe a little slower, than the Goblin? They're both 700s? That Goblin zips around pretty quick. Though I like the sound of the KDS a lot more.

Loved watching those man! Upside-down hovers... you got some gonads!

Smoggie

Thanks for the kind words, honestly I'm a chicken, the stuff i do i take ages to get up the courage to try.

Anyway.. the KDS is the more heavily loaded heli. It's slightly heavier in weight than the Goblin 770 so it's rotor disk loading is quite a bit higher. This makes it a little less responsive but smoother. I actually really like the way the Agile flies because it makes my flying look smoother and more flowing than the other helis. Some of the difference you see in the videos is just down to my mood at the time.

Last edited:

Smoggie

Twelve more flights on the helis over the weekend. My video camera battery doesn't like the cold so I only got one flight on video, this was of the Goblin 770 and it included a little 'momemt' at the beginning of the video where I got a little closer to the ground when flipping inverted than I intended. My excuse was I'd been flying the Trex 700 for the last couple of weeks and it's a little snappier on the collective which I forgot to allow for.. But I got away with it so all is good.

Last edited by a moderator:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's some nice smooth steady flying Smoggie :arms:. You did very well not to panic when you got close to the ground, :yikes: inverted. I wish I could afford one of those big birds. Just the thought of me wrecking one of those big birds scares me to buy one but most of all it's the $$$$. Thanks for sharing :popcorn: I'm hoping to get some park flying in on Wednesday. Your video inspires me to take out the 500 before I put the new canopy on.

Top Bottom