600 A Bit Of Horse Trading

Admiral

About six months ago I tripped and fell on my DX9 on concrete causing considerable damage, while it was away being repaired I bought a used DX9 to cover. My logic was I can buy it for A$400 use it and sell it for about the same. However in the meantime Spektrum released the new iX12, the price of used DX9 fell dramatically, so for a while I used the second DX9 on the SIM but regretted having that much tied up on a SIM Tx.

Then on a local FB Forum a guy popped up wanting to sell a new un-finished Blade 550X or swap for a TX/RX, I offered him the DX9 which worked perfectly but had a bit of cosmetic damage, AR8000 X and TM1000. He agreed and the swap happened, all good, he is happy and I am delighted, I was unsure of the Blade 550X having owned a heap of Blade helicopters in the past, which all worked well but I considered too over priced and too plastic.

Well the 550X has impressed me with its quality, the head and tail are well machined alloy and the rest appears a quality finish, I know it is a discontinued model but most of the 600X parts are interchangeable.

The deal was Frame, Motor Main Blade BEC and tail blades, I have Batteries, AR7200BX, ESC & tail servo all I needed was cyclic servos, I have gone with Savox.

550x (Large).jpg 550x2 (Large).jpg 550x4 (Large).jpg 550x5 (Large).jpg 550x6 (Large).jpg 550x6a (Large).jpg 550x7 (Large).jpg 550x7a (Large).jpg 550xa (Large).jpg

Hopefully after loktiting all the screw and fitting the rest of the gear it will be ready to maiden in a couple of weeks .

Smoggie

Nice heli!

The main challenge is spared because like you said it's discontinued. Yes it shares most parts with the 600X but that is also discontinued. Looks like most parts are still available from Horizon, just one or two that show 'discontinued' such as the main frames.

Admiral

The main challenge is spared because like you said it's discontinued. Yes it shares most parts with the 600X but that is also discontinued. Looks like most parts are still available from Horizon, just one or two that show 'discontinued' such as the main frames.

My main concern is not the frames although I would probably buy a pair if I saw some, I was worried about Blades which have a 4mm bolt but have just found a suitable alternative.
What I forgot to mention in my original post was the amount of spares that came with it, apparently the previous owner had had one before and accumulated a heap of spares which were included in the deal.

IMG_3772.JPG

The parts include multiple Main & Feathering shafts, gears, blade grips, TT gears for both ends, landing skids, tail booms and heaps of other parts, should keep me out of trouble for a while.
If I do break the frame I should be able to sell the wreck to another 550X owner or buy theirs, for the cost of the second hand DX9 I am still happy with the deal.

PS. The aluminum case was in the deal.

Smoggie

That's a good stash of spares. Quite a bit of value right there because Blade spares are expensive.

Admiral

Run into a couple of issues, no loktite which I suspected and top bearing block installed upside down, also changed to skids the Blade ones are 90mm or 3.5 in in height, not only makes storage difficult but would probably make it more susceptible to wind for take off and landing the new ones are only 58mm or 2.25 in amazing how much difference 32mm makes.

Admiral

They were stock, in fact it came with two spare sets, with the shorter skids it still has tail clearance. Further down the track I may change to an Align 550X set to increase tail clearance again.

Admiral

Hi Rob, the short answer is yes, getting a bit longer did you notice where I live (Australia) I think the freight cost would make it a very expensive model if your still interested PM me and I'll PM you the how it is equipped and the spares, it actually flies really well, its only had about 6 flights, I also have an Agile 5.5 which I prefer.

Robert Wierenga

My main concern is not the frames although I would probably buy a pair if I saw some, I was worried about Blades which have a 4mm bolt but have just found a suitable alternative.
What I forgot to mention in my original post was the amount of spares that came with it, apparently the previous owner had had one before and accumulated a heap of spares which were included in the deal.

View attachment 20249

The parts include multiple Main & Feathering shafts, gears, blade grips, TT gears for both ends, landing skids, tail booms and heaps of other parts, should keep me out of trouble for a while.
If I do break the frame I should be able to sell the wreck to another 550X owner or buy theirs, for the cost of the second hand DX9 I am still happy with the deal.

PS. The aluminum case was in the deal.

Robert Wierenga

Hi Rob, the short answer is yes, getting a bit longer did you notice where I live (Australia) I think the freight cost would make it a very expensive model if your still interested PM me and I'll PM you the how it is equipped and the spares, it actually flies really well, its only had about 6 flights, I also have an Agile 5.5 which I prefer.
I just shipped a bunch of parts from your area it was 40.00 CAD form your local postal office if you have time come up with a price including shipping to Canada -:)

Admiral

Hi Robert about time to take this out of the forum, I've message you, check you RC-Help inbox.

Top Bottom