450 9t Pinion

Matt

If I go to a 9t pinion will I get longer flight times?

I’ve got

2010kv motor
22.2 v battery
121t main gear
12t pinion

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Looking at what you have there I'd say you going to slow down your head speed by dropping a couple of pinion teeth thus longer flight time, in theory, yes. With that setup you have now that little bugger will be screaming...lol

murankar

Staff member
Generally speaking yes it will give longer flight times. These if nothing else changes.

Your also increasing torque which will help with governor recovery.

On a 360 / 450 a decent headspeed is right around 3100 rpm with about 13.5 - 14 degrees of pitch. That should get you around 6 minutes of light flying. Maybe 4 with hard flying.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
If you want to save a dollar and not wait on oversea shipping you can get it at anything heli.

murankar

Staff member
Or stick program it. I have never stick programmed so finding know how rough it is. Some folks can stick program in just a few minutes.

Tony

Staff member
Careful with those 9 tooth pinions, they are known to crack because they are so thin. On a helical cut gear, I would not go under a 10 tooth.

Matt

I did read that somewhere, that the 9t pinions are likely to crack. I’ve seen it a couple places. I’ll go with the 10t. It’ll be more headspeed and I won’t have to worry about a crack. The 9t pinion would have had real low headspeed, which is what I wanted, because I’m just doing forward flight. But if the 9t pinions crack then a 10t pinion would be better and not too much more headspeed then the 9t

Tony

Staff member
Just setup the governor to your desired head speed and the extra will just be overhead to help keep the gyro and motor working properly together.

Matt

I just looked on anythingheli and they have a whole section for Scorpion. XNova motors any good? They’re probably for more high end heli’s

Top Bottom