700 700 Servo Insight

leedude1

Hi all,

I just picked up a real bargain on a new 700x (base kit motor only) and i know ill be mounting a 160 castle lite and a beastX, one of the AR spectrum/beastx systems as I run them on all my bigger birds and I'm comfortable with both the flight and set up.

When it comes to Servos I am at a loss. I dont not fly hard 3d but rather sport type flying and mild 3d big air stuff.. would like not to throw money out the window on something meant for the big boys so to speak.

I was thinking of the Savox black series but I don't want it to fall out of the sky either lol. I already have a tail servo. I won a BK tail servo at a fun fly (should not have any issues there).

I would appreciate the chim ins boys.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Servos for a 700 class is going to run some money. Not only in the initial purchase but in gear sets also.

I choose the 700 series servos from BK all around on my 570. After looking at all the choices for the little extra cash up front I got a slightly cheaper rebuild. You will also gain reliability flight after flight.

If those are too pricey then see if KST makes a 700 class servo. They just released a bunch of high end servos that have a price tag to match. Another option would be align servos but those were savox rebraded servos. I can not confirm if align still commissions savox for servos.

Xpert servos are going to be just as expensive as MKS. RJX still makes servos I think. Those would be a good mid range brand.

leedude1

So I just ordered a set of the KST bls915 , I already had a BK tail servo that I won at a fun fly soooo, now just put some quarters aside for the rest of the electronics and ill be good to go.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just my 2 cents. You'll be pleased with the KST servos. I have the 215 on my 450 and X3L. 515 on my 500 for a few years now. I haven't had them hiccup or let me down during any flights. Of course I don't own a 700 but I know someone that's going to use KST servos on his 700 that's going to be stretch to a 800.

leedude1

I looked through a few options for servos and settled there as a good option (they are sweet looking to boot) but they will be my first set of kst's so I'll let you know how they work out.
May be awhile before I get this one airborne though it's going to be a project... I'm actually thinking of perhaps getting a used bird with some electronics I can Frankenstein as an a more budget oriented option.
Keep you all posted.

murankar

Staff member
Look on the buy sell trade heli Facebook pages. People have decent electronics used for great prices.

leedude1

I have got used stuff but usually it would be local classifieds and I'd only purchase if the seller flies it for me so I can at least see and witness functionality first hand.
But with this size bird, I dont want to take chances of it falling out of the sky or barrelling in at me.

leedude1

So I've decided on a Castle Lite 160 and another AR7210BX with a satellite. I have a Pulse defender but not sure if ill put it on this one, or just leave it on my 550. I had one brown out on the 550 (my bad actually) and it rattled me a little so I slapped that on for piece of mind.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just curious as to why you went with the lite160. I thought the only difference was the heat sink which you would have plenty of room for on that model. I use a separate 2s rx pack on anything bigger then a 550. You'l never see any brownouts that way..... but then weight is the enemy of flight I guess...lol

murankar

Staff member
It's a weight thing. If your not flying hard and just keeping it smooth then the lite will fulfil the need. Other things that play in will be head speed and pitch. If your running 1900 and 12 degrees of pitch along with sport flying then rock what you got.

I prefer BEC over RX packs. Its just an extra thing to monitor during the day. My 570 is on a rx pack and I really want to go with BEC on it.

leedude1

Castle has it listed in several places on their heli chart site stating that today on birds bigger than 500 the internal becs may be over taxed by the present day servos which can pull 2A each and suggest running an external bec.
They list the 120 or the 160 as options for the 700x and I figure for the few extra bucks its better to have the head room so to speak as I'll be running an external bec anyway .
I've attached the chart here

Attachments

• CastleESCApplicationGuideforHelis.pdf.pdf
    403.3 KB · Views: 2

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I ran the Castle 160 on mine but have since sold it. Definitely want the 160 with that 850mx monster...

leedude1

You sold the bird or just the speed controller? If the esc , why? And what replacement are you going to use?

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
No sorry, I sold the whole helicopter. Just what I do... build, fly a few times and sell...lol.

Top Bottom