Quad 650 quad will not fly

WyDiablo

When spooling up the quad #3 motors does not catch up until over 50% but after that it's running normal when I bring it back to 50%. As I increase throttle on the tx the quad just sits there even at 75% throttle. Props are spinning correctly and they are not upside down. The gains on my naza atre as follows:
120-120-140-140
120-120
DYS 40Amp esc
DYS BE4108 580Kv motors
Spektrum DX7 tx
AR7010 rx
AUW 5.9lbs
11"x5 props

Esc's have been recalibrated 2 times and the Elev is set to normal in naza so when the stick is moved forward the slider goes to the right and when moved downward the slider goes to the left. I"m using the X4 type in the naza assistant. #1 motor is top right and #2 motor is top left #3 motor is bottom let and #4 motor is bottom right. I will post a video hopefully today with the quad at 75% throttle.

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

pvolcko

What if you go over 75%? See what it takes to lift off or at least move it. Can't move it, and everything is pushing air down: Maybe a prop pitch needs to be higher? Under powered?

Karubah

I can,t remember what size battery you are using. If its 3 s have you tried 4 s? Also you could try going to 12x5 props or bigger.

Derek

i wish i knew more about multi rotors. I'd love to be of some help with this. It looks like a cool setup and it's even frustrating me that it won't lift off.

WyDiablo

Well I was gonna push the throttle to 100% this afternoon but I connected the battery (2) 3S 5000Mah) and now all I can get is a flashing yellow light meaning signal lost. I'm thinking pvolcko just might be correct and it needs more pitch for the props. But I guess it will be another 2 weeks before I can find out since the 11"x5 props are the biggest that I have on hand.

Tasajara

Double check where each motor is plugged in at 1 to M1 2 to M2 and so on... along with the radio controls. Having them in the wrong spot does weird things.
Also make sure the radio cals good in the software.

WyDiablo

I have plugged the esc motor connections in and out several times and also compared them to my F450 that flies and they are plugged in just like the F450. I have redone the naza assistant tx calibration more times that I would like to think about. The only thing I have not done and that's increase the gains and the voltage on the batteries. Tomorrow morning I will try this set up again using (2) 3S 5000Mah batteries in series with the 11"x5 props and will push the throttle to 100%. I should have listened to that little voice that said "Get the qav500 or TBS frame) lmaooooooooooooooooooooo

Last edited:

Stambo

I just looked at the specs of your motors and ESCs and on 3s you are WAY under powered.
Your all up weight of 5.9 lbs is about 2.7kg.
This link for your motor shows 800 grams of thrust per motor at 3s if you were using 13x6.5 prop. You are on 11x5 so you are well below that.
From memory I think you need thrust at least double the weight to achieve reasonable flight, and then some more for your payload.
Going to 6s (3s x2 series connected) will give you double the RPMs for a start but also about 3 times your thrust.
I think this will have the desired result.
You could experiment with even smaller props on 6s, 10x4.7 will give 1560 grams thrust for a total of 6.24kg.
Your 11x5s should be even more.
That's much more like it, you will have some reserve for payload.
On 3s I don't think it will ever get off the ground no matter what props you put on it.
I don't even run 3s on my 450 size quads.
I keep threatening to do a lift test and see what they can carry.

WyDiablo

Yea I have already been over to that web site to get the specs on the motors. I also think that the 3S batteries are under powered that's why I made a series connector for my 3S batteries this will give me 6S at 5000Mah but the 13x6.5 props will run a current of 37Amps so that will be pushing my 40Amp esc's on a 6S setup.

Stambo

Yea I have already been over to that web site to get the specs on the motors. I also think that the 3S batteries are under powered that's why I made a series connector for my 3S batteries this will give me 6S at 5000Mah but the 13x6.5 props will run a current of 37Amps so that will be pushing my 40Amp esc's on a 6S setup.

I would go with smaller props, your 11x5s will probably do just fine but a 10x4.7 will drop your current draw to 22, and probably give better response. It's really something you have to experiment with once it is flying.
And remember the quoted current draw is only at full throttle under load so getting it in the air at just over half is probably your target.
And when on a beast that size are you gonna hit full throttle? Not very often I suspect.

WyDiablo

Well I was going to try the 6S combo this morning but ever since yesterday I can't seem to get it to start normal. After connecting the battery all I get is a flashing yellow light and it will not start up normal with the light it's saying signal lost. Does the same thing boot after boot. I have checked again in naza assistant and everthing looks to be very normal.

WyDiablo

Well I see that the flashing yellow light was another one of my typical brain farts. When I was recalibrating the esc's for the 4th time I left the throttle unplugged from the rx (DUHHHHHHH). Anyway right now I'm charging a 4S 5000 battery to try with the 11x5 props along with the 6s batteries 5000Mah with the same props

WyDiablo

Ok Stambo the 4S 5000Mah battery with the 11x5 props did the trick man. I also lightened the quad weight a little and she spooled up and was air borne at about 50% throttle and was very stable. I will try and get a video up soon it just looks like it might need some trimming and fine tuning but she's in the air and many thanks to you guys.

Karubah

Great work!!! Glad you got it flying after all your trouble.. Now where's the video?:yahoo:

Last edited:

WyDiablo

Ok guys here is the video of the maiden (really flight #2) short clip of just some hovering to see how it would hold.
[video=youtube_share;tEtrmv0FSN4]http://youtu.be/tEtrmv0FSN4[/video]

A few pictures of the yoke that I"m trying to use to mount my camera on.
View attachment 8206
View attachment 8207
View attachment 8208
View attachment 8209
The trouble is this came off the hexa and the mounting frame holes were only about 4" apart that would allow a lot of rod to be pushed forward or backward to correct for the COG. But now with this frame the holes are like maybe 8" part so the COG is hard to get because I run out rod before it gets balanced. I guess I will order some longer rods but instead in aluminum I will get carbon fiber tubes.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok guys here is the video of the maiden (really flight #2) short clip of just some hovering to see how it would hold.
[video=youtube_share;tEtrmv0FSN4]http://youtu.be/tEtrmv0FSN4[/video]

A few pictures of the yoke that I"m trying to use to mount my camera on.
View attachment 8206
View attachment 8207
View attachment 8208
View attachment 8209
The trouble is this came off the hexa and the mounting frame holes were only about 4" apart that would allow a lot of rod to be pushed forward or backward to correct for the COG. But now with this frame the holes are like maybe 8" part so the COG is hard to get because I run out rod before it gets balanced. I guess I will order some longer rods but instead in aluminum I will get carbon fiber tubes.

Stambo

Looking good, nice and stable.
Is that on 4s or 6s?

I'm afraid that wiring mess would leave me with no sleep though. :)
I would have to hide it or tidy it up somehow.
What do you reckon Tony.

Dunno why we want to see it twice though :p :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom