600 600n throttle set up?

cabbie

So, just purchased a brand new (but fully built) trex 600n, it came with a 3G unit, I have replaced the 3G with an ikon, I have a DX8 tx

So I have no idea how to set up the throttle!

With my leccy trex's I only use 1 idle up and that is on the top left switch, on the nitro I need a normal and 2 idle up's!

Also not sure about throttle curves etc

If some nice person could talk me though it step at a time I would be very greatful :)

I have spent hours on the net looking for the answers :(

stokke

First you will have to break in the engine. This is usually done with curves, so no V-curve and no governor. Some say the breaking in should last for one can of fuel (1 gallon/4 litres).

While breaking in the engine there will be some tuning, but always make sure the engine is running rich - a lean mix will hurt a brand new engine. Before starting the engine, you will have to refer to the manual - finding out what the default position of the needles should be. When you know the default positions, you adjust your needles accordingly.

Some engines have just one needle, others have two. If there are two needles, one is a "high needle" and the second is a "low needle". The high needle adjusts the air/fuel mix on the top 15% of your throttle, meaning when the engine is working at it's max. The low needle adjusts the rest of the throttle, from idle to about 85% (then the top needle kicks in).

When you have adjusted the needles, you are ready to find your idle position. Find your throttle hold throttle curve, set it to 0% NOW, turn on the Ikon. Look at the throttle servo and the air intake, at 0% the air intake should be fully closed - if not, you have done something wrong in the Ikon set-up. If everything is AOK here, you may adjust the throttle hold throttle curve to maybe 2-3%.

NOW, remove the main and tail blades for safety sake. With the throttle hold throttle curve displayed on your TX, push the glow igniter and use your starter, try cranking the engine until you hear it change sound - if you're lucky the engine will start. REMEMBER to make sure your glow igniter is glowing while starting, or else you'll fill the engine with fuel. If it sounds like the engine is struggling, try upping the throttle curve to 4-5%, then try again. If you're still not getting any response at 5%, check that your air intake is actually opening.

If the starter is having a really hard time cranking the engine (or stalling), then you have flooded the engine. Tilt the heli to it's side and backwards, and the engine will drain out the exhaust.

Repeat this process, making sure the engine is not flooding and the glow igniter is glowing. Raise the throttle curve gradually, you will hear the engine trying to start eventually. When the engine finally starts, make note of what throttle curve you set - this is now your idle throttle position. To make the engine stop, just lower the throttle curve to 0% OR use the throttle trim lever.

Try this, and let us know when you have the starting and idle position under control.

cabbie

Thanks for the reply, I was more talking about setting up the TX and ikon :)

I have run thought the ikon settings as far as the Governor set up, I have put the tail gain to the flight mode switch and the Governor to the gyro switch to give the 3 options.

Not sure about now to set up the Speed 1 and speed 2 on the ikon software! I have put in 20 tooth pinion and 180 tooth main and got 8.1.

stokke

Don't bother with setting up the governor quite yet. You will need to break in the engine using regular point curves first.

Have you set up the throttle servo?

cabbie

Yes all servos working good, I have set the throttle curve to 0-50-80-90-100 and pitch to 0-25-50-75-100 that ok?

stokke

If you don't mind spooling up with full collective range, then the pitch curve is OK. The throttle curve looks fine to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Or - you will probably want to raise the first point on your throttle, or the engine will probably shut down once you turn off throttle hold. Set it to your idle value. E.g 4-50-80-90-100.

cabbie

Can I just check the TX set up is correct (Spektrum DX 7)

I assigned the Gyro to Rudd D/R switch
I assigned the Governor to the 3 possition Flaps/Gyro switch
And Flight mode switch is for Idle up

I just fine tunned the engine servo and looks perfect.

All other servos are working perfect also, so I was told to run the engine in while flying light circuits, this good advice or do I idle the engine on the ground?

stokke

Light sport flying should do the trick. But for the very first flight you might want to just hover around, if the needles are adjusted very rich you might choke the engine during hard pitch changes - if the engine were to choke you'd want the heli near the ground of course to minimize damage.

Top Bottom