700 600 vs 700

Jimbo

I was thinking that my next project would be a 600 Jet Ranger, but looking at the specs, there is only a 1.18 inch difference it going to a 700.

Any thoughts on this from folks who have flown both sizes??

Jim

Smoggie

I've got a fair collection of both 600 and 700 size. There is actually a quite considerable difference in the weight and power between the two. A 600 typically weighs 2/3 of what a 700 comes in at. Having said that in flight there isn't a huge difference, they both fly like a big heli smooth and stable. The 600 size seems to be out of fashion at the moment it appears that people who are considering a large heli decide that they may as well 'go the whole hog' and get a 700.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
The biggest I can really afford to fly and maintain is the 500 :( If I did hit the lottery I would diffidently go with the 700 if I had a choice :)

Tony

Staff member
As Steve stated, there is a pretty big difference in size and weight. And the parts cost is more on the larger heli as well. I'm sure you are talking about scale, so you would need a fuse, and that will be more as well. But, money not really an issue, I would go with the 700 just so you can get more detail on the bird.

Jimbo

Decided to go 600. Here is my 450 next to a friends 600 and 700. That is plenty big enough for me.

Jim

600M.jpg

Smoggie

What air-frame would you go with for the 600? The choice is quite limited unless you go the clone route. The Trex 600L is not yet officially discontinued but they are hard to find, i think they are just selling off old stock. Also the 600L airframe isn't ideal for sport or scale use because the tail ratio is extremely low as it's designed for screaming high 3D headspeed.

Jimbo

The Trex 600's have the motor on top, so the canopy will not fit. Going with the HK600GT and a KDS Innova 550, 600 FBL Main Rotor Head. It is belt drive and I may stay with that or convert to TT. The one in the picture has the Trex 600ESP, but you can't find them. The Chaos 600 would have been perfect, but RC Aeroduyne no longer carries them. Only the 700.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
If you get the HK600GT, buy an Align head, tail boom, tail block and everything that goes with it, slider, tail shaft and so on. Also get align gears including the tail drive gear and tail shaft. Get an Align belt as well. It will end up costing as much as an Align kit, but if they are not available, this is the next best thing. I had that helicopter and didn't like it, but I never upgraded anything on it. You are going to want a DFC head and the DFC tail block and everything with it. MUCH more control on the tail.

Smoggie

I'm not into scale but I recall reading that the DFC head doesnt work with some scale bodies because it's too low, they prefer the standard type flybarless head. I'm guessing that's why Jim is going for the KDS head?

Tony

Staff member
Ah yea, forgot about the housing right there. I prefer the standard head anyway lol. DFC is just easier to type when you are in a hurry, which I am every single day of the week... It sucks lmao.

Jimbo

Yes, there will be some Align upgrades for sure. This set of mechanics fit the fuselage I plan to use. The DFC is too short and the FBL head looks more scale. This will be a fun project. If I had not discovered the Naza-H FBL, I would never be trying anything this large, at this point in my flying.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
Sometimes, I wish I had put the standard FBL head on my 600 lol. Putting a LOT of trust in that one little bolt on the arms lmao. Good luck with the project and be sure to keep us updated with how it is going.

Top Bottom