Kits 60" Wingspan P51 Kit Build

Derek

I'm pretty sure that I mentioned to you all, a while back, that my Uncle Mike was giving me a 60" P51 Mustang. This is a kit build that my uncle started over 30 years ago. Any reason as to why the plane never got finished is irrelevant. I now have a partially finished fuselage and a partially finished wing and a box of parts and pieces and a very old manual. This plane will need a lot of work. I'm very confident that I can get the build completed but I will have to do a lot of researching about how to apply the covering. I'm not even sure that I will be the one to do the covering. I'm going to have to set this plane to the side for a little while so that I can finish up a few projects. This plane might make a great winter project for me. We'll just have to wait and see.

Here are two pics that I have right now

P51 Kit1.jpgP51 Kit2.jpg

P51 Kit1.jpg

P51 Kit2.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's too cool Derek. My father build one about 40+ yrs ago for my cousin. It took about 3 month to build. When we went to his BD party, he placed it a room underneath a blanket on top of the bed. Accidentally one of my other cousin sat on it not knowing it was there. Well pretty much know what happen. I thought my father was going to cry. It was a beautiful bird. Very detailed like the real P-51 mustang. It was a shame that the bird didn't even see any air time. That was my dad's first build and also his last. It broke his heart and my cousin too.

Derek

Thanks DOG! Although it's no where near completion, it should be a pretty fun build. I'll be shopping for a gas engine later this year.

mooserider

Awesome! Looks like you still have some wing sheeting to do... that's one of my favorite parts! Knowing that kit is so old, I would totally use tissue paper and doping to cover it... retro style. I bought an old Lil' Satan control line kit I'm going to do that on as well.

Just my opinion, but don't go gas, go nitro. I've never had a gas engine, but all I (used to) ever see were the gas guys messing with engines constantly. Maybe it's different now-a-days though. Or better yet, get a 4-stroke nitro... sounds awesome!

Derek

Thanks bro! It's definitely an awesome looking plane...even in skeleton form, lol. There is quite a bit of work to be done on this plane. With the exception of my "deceased" Hobbyzone Delta Ray and my HK Skyfun, that I've setup for FPV, all my planes that I've ever had have all been scratch built, using foam sheets. This is my first balsa build...first non-electric...first P-51. I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands working on this plane. I have it scheduled as my "winter project" because I have so many other projects to get finished up.

As for the engine...I was thinking about using a gas engine because gas is cheaper than nitro fuel. However, that "thought" isn't etched in stone yet. Beyond electrics, I'm out of my element and knowledge capacity. I'll surely consider everyone's opinion, so don't be afraid to give your opinions. I'll have to check YouTube for planes with good sized gas engines and try to compare it to a video of a plane with a 4 stroke nitro engine.

I don't even know what brand and size engine (gas or nitro) to be looking at, lol.

Admiral

Hi Derek, just a thought, I had a Pilot scale Tiger Moth that was started about 30 years ago and never finished, when I pulled it out many of the balsa glue joints had weakened or failed.

It may have been caused through poor storage for a good part of that time in the roof of a back shed, but it would pay to check all the glued joints.

Derek

I've had that thought, too, Keith. Because I won't be working on this plane for a few months, I did write a small reminder note and taped it to the plane to remind me to double check all the previously done glue joints. Thanks for looking out!

Top Bottom