General 6 wire steering servo help

new2rcmod

I'm upgrading an old radio shack truck with a new 3750kv brushless, sensorless motor. 4Ch 2.4Ghz receiver 10 volt 45 amp max. But i can't find a hobby steering servo thats the same size and shape which it is an L shape servo with 2 motor wires and 4 other wires, so i was wondering can i wire the 6 wires to a 3 pin plug? I tested all 4 wires even to the motor wires and had 1 to 2 ohm resistance 12 ways that i tested. 2 motor wires are black and orange and the other 4 are yellow, green, red and blue. To me seems all 6 wires are connected to the servo motor with no coils in reference to a youtube video. Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Staff member
Is there any way you can post a picture of this servo? I have never seen one with 6 wires and have no idea how they are wired.

As a placeholder though, if you are looking to completely update this little truck, you may be better off taking that servo out, grinding anything that is in the way down flat so that you can custom mount a steering servo mount in place. You can get these for all of the popular brands such as Associated, Losi and Traxxas. Just purchase the servo you want, purchase the mounts, drill the holes in the chassis (after making a flat spot for the servo) and mounting it up. Then, you will have a 3 wire servo that will plug directly into your Rx.

I'm thinking those motors may require more voltage than your Rx is going to put out. I'm not 100% on this, but that is what I'm thinking.

Tony

Staff member
Just did some research on this and this is what I have found out. Obviously, two of the wires are going to go to the motor. Then, there is a common (ground) wire for the steering sensor with leads for center, full left and full right, totaling 4 wires for the sensors, giving you 6 wires.

I would definitely try to take that servo setup out of that truck and replace it with a standard servo. The one that you have is either centered (kind of lol) or full left or full right. There is no control. If you put in a good steering servo (well, just about anything out there really) then you will have an infinitely adjustable steering system with that new radio system you are putting into it.

Just some thoughts I had after seeing the setup that I think you have.

new2rcmod

The only way to put a new servo in is to gut the factory one and mount the new one in the shell cuz the servo sits inside the chassis which is in 2 halves

Tony

Staff member
Yea, if you have the truck that I was looking at, there may be some serious customizing going on. I'm wondering if a mini servo would work in that truck, something like the Align DS510 or DS515. They may be small enough to fit inside that case. I'm almost positive the DS410 and DS415 will fit, but they are more than likely too weak to be able to power that steering.

new2rcmod

This radio shack truck is the1/10 scale monster patrol and i was also looking at upgrading the wheels but they dont have 8mm hex hubs anymore and i couldn't find the adapters so i'd have to make those too

Tony

Staff member
One thing you can do there is check the hex hub inner diameter and see if ones from an 1/8th scale will work. You just need to match the diameter of the axle and then you will be able to put aftermarket wheels on it. Just a thought.

new2rcmod

my idea is to take a12 or 17mm nut drill out the center and put a 8mm socket into the muddle of the nut and weld them together then put the adapter on then the aftermarket wheels

new2rcmod

And i'm also planning on upgrading the factory spring suspension to oil filled shocks and install a light controller

Tony

Staff member
The shocks will be one of your best upgrades. Those plastic "one inside another" shocks with no dampening are absolutely horrible!

new2rcmod

I ordered the st racing12mm clamp on wheel hex adapter not sure if they will fit on my 8mm wheel hex hubs but ill give it a try and maybe if i have to ill drill them out a little till they fit.

new2rcmod

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated i ran in to a little problem upgrading my hex hubs the original hex hubs are pressed on to the stub axle i changed 3 with no problem but the 4th one upon trying to break it free from the axle the cup that the dogbone goes into split in half and i tried finding a new one but couldn't find one a matching size. The stub axle is 2 1/4 inches long and about 5.5mm thick with 4mm threaded end

Top Bottom