600 550E DFC Help

Rico

Hey there, i finaly got some of the parts for my new 550E, and i had a motor laying around,it is a AXI 2826/10 motor KV920, and i wase wondering if it is usefull for a 550 heli and if it is what kind of pinion do i need for the right head speed ????

Greetings Rico

heli-maniac

The 550 pro runs a 850KV motor but its way under power on a 6s system
1100kv to 1200kv is a better ball park motor for a 550 on 6s

Last edited:

Rico

Well i wase thinking that i could run the heli on 4s bat's,i just bought some vortex 25c 5800 mah,so i wase hoping that i could use them for the 550, i use them on my logo 10 with out any problem :)
so if that is posible i just need to know what pinion i nned for that motor :)

Greetings Rico

Tony

Staff member
The 550 really needs 6s for proper power. 4s is cutting the voltage by 1/3 and your amp draw is going to go way up.

xokia

Well i wase thinking that i could run the heli on 4s bat's,i just bought some vortex 25c 5800 mah,so i wase hoping that i could use them for the 550, i use them on my logo 10 with out any problem :)
so if that is posible i just need to know what pinion i nned for that motor :)

Greetings Rico
4S is not going to work it will spin the motor way to slow for a 550.
I think the 730mx would be a beast on 7S if I had a charger that would charge 7S batteries I would have tried it. 730mx is a very torqy motor on 6S I think it probably provides the best balance between power,performance and battery life. They run a 16T on the 730mx so the motor doesn't need to spin as fast. That is how they get away with running a low kv. The motor is also physically larger in diameter then 1100kv motors. Think of it like using a longer wrench to break a bolt loose. You don't have to exert as much power to do the same amount of work. I would have even kept my 730mx had they had a larger pinion for it. A 17T I think would do excellent with this motor on a 550. But no one makes one yet. So getting higher head speeds isn't possible.

I moved to 12S on my 550 because I want higher performance and still maintain the long battery life.

Last edited:

Rico

ok tony,i looked for some 6s 4500 mah 25c lipo's and they aint so bad,but i have a ESC called jeti spin 44, it sayes that it runs with 2 to 6 cell's lipo, so i hope that it is ok, or do i have to get a new ESC too ???

Greetings Rico

Rico

4S is not going to work it will spin the motor way to slow for a 550.
I think the 730mx would be a beast on 7S if I had a charger that would charge 7S batteries I would have tried it. 730mx is a very torqy motor on 6S I think it probably provides the best balance between power,performance and battery life. They run a 16T on the 730mx so the motor doesn't need to spin as fast. That is how they get away with running a low kv. The motor is also physically larger in diameter then 1100kv motors. Think of it like using a longer wrench to break a bolt loose. You don't have to exert as much power to do the same amount of work. I would have even kept my 730mx had they had a larger pinion for it. A 17T I think would do excellent with this motor on a 550. But no one makes one yet. So getting higher head speeds isn't possible.

I moved to 12S on my 550 because I want higher performance and still maintain the long battery life.

HE HE HE i have been looking at that motor,i think that i will order it, for the 550, but to start with i will use 6s bat's, i dont know if my charger can charge 7s, i think that 6s is the biggest :(

i could see on ebay that i can get all from 11 to 19 tooth pinion, so with one should i order with the motor ???

Greetings Rico

Tony

Staff member
As long as the ESC can handle the power being pulled by the motor, you should be fine.

xokia

HE HE HE i have been looking at that motor,i think that i will order it, for the 550, but to start with i will use 6s bat's, i dont know if my charger can charge 7s, i think that 6s is the biggest :(

i could see on ebay that i can get all from 11 to 19 tooth pinion, so with one should i order with the motor ???

Greetings Rico

The 730MX you need to use the 16T pinion for 2300 rpms governed. Ungoverned it gets up to 2700 rpms. I have a 730mx for sale in the for sale section. But your 920kv motor may work though with a 16T pinion I don't know a lot about your motor though. You would need to set the rpms for 2500-2600rpms which would make your heli a rocket. I had similar head speed with my KDE 1100 but pulled to much current for my 120 amp esc So I bought a 12S KDE instead.

Another thing to keep in mind you can't just use any pinion. They have straight cut and slant cut gears. You also need to make sure you you get the mod right. Which is the spacing between the teeth. You pinion should match up to your main gear.

*edit*
Specification
No. of cells 10 - 16
3 - 5 Li-Poly
RPM/V 920 RMP/V
Max. efficiency 84%
Max. efficiency current 20 - 30 A (>78%)
No load current / 10 V 1.7 A
Current capacity 42 A/60 s
Internal Resistance 42 mohm
Dimensions (diameter. x lenght) 35x48 mm
Shaft diameter 5 mm
Weight with cables 181 g

Your 920kv motor is an airplane motor and isn't going to work in a 550 heli. It only goes to 5S and would pull way to much current to spin your blades up to speed

As long as the ESC can handle the power being pulled by the motor, you should be fine.
The 730mx isn't bad it can pull some pretty decent current spikes but overall after having the KDE 1100 its very efficient in comparison. On mine I averaged 40 amps and peaks of 150 amps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom