1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Hey Guest, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Power Supply's 5 cell NiMh battery power supply.

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by GreekRotorHead, Sep 21, 2017.

1. GreekRotorHead

GreekRotorHead Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys, I have a buggy with a stock receiver with operating voltage of 4.8-6 volts. Also the two stock servos have an operating voltage of 6 volts. I bought a 5 cell NiMh pack with nominal voltage of 6 volts. The stock battery pack was using 4 AA batteries. So I wanted to replace it with a rechargeable pack.
    My charger is the skyrc Imax B6 V2, which is a reliable one. As I am charging the nimh pack it reaches a voltage of 6.6V. this is the max voltage the pack gets from the charger, though the charging current continues. It doesn't shut down automatically as it does when I'm charging a lipo pack at 4.2 volts per cell.
    If I connect this pack of nimh of 6.6 volts to the receiver do you think its going to be burned down? And the servos too? The voltage of the nimh is 0,6 volts above the operating voltage of the receiver and servos. Shall I connect it and see what happens?

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    NiMh and NiCd both charge with what is called Delta Peak. That means the charger will keep charging the pack until the voltage actually goes down a set amount (you can program this in your charger) and once it drops enough, it will stop charging. The packs will get warm to hot, this is normal. Put a fan on the pack if you are worried about it.

And as for .6 volts, it shouldn't hurt a thing. We ran those 5 cell packs in everything back in the day on nitro.

3. GreekRotorHead

GreekRotorHead Member

Blog Posts:
    thanks Tony..