450 450 Trex setup

Eggy 71

I seem to be getting closer to getting this new build setup. I got rid of the orange 615x and installed a Spektrum AR 610. All works well. In setting up the pitch the paper manual suggests 11degrees and the 3gx software suggests 8 degrees. Which should I go with?

Tony

Staff member
It depends on what "pitch" you are talking about. I would set your collective pitch (throttle stick) to 11º positive and negative with 0º at mid stick, then set your cyclic pitch to 8º.

Eggy 71

I should have reread it a couple of times. In flight mode parameter 1 there is a cyclic pitch expo setting. The tips say it isn't necessary if using expo in the radio. Should there be a value in this menu or zero it and use values in the d/r & expo of the tx?

Tony

Staff member
I like to set it in my Tx, but some dont' want to mess with it and just leave it on the default setting. I would fly the default first, see if you like it, then swap over later on if you want to experiment.

Eggy 71

image.jpegI think I'm getting close to setup for a first flight. One last question. The tail rotor pitch setting is poorly defined in the manual that comes with it. How critical is it to have this measurement precise and I've included a pic of where I,m at now at when initialized at mid stick. Is it close?image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tony

Staff member
If I'm looking at it correctly and my brain is not screwing with me, it should be the other way on the tail. I always just line them up even adn let the gyro do it's job. In the old days you had to add some pitch, but now days you don't. So I would just adjust the linkage and get it even.

KLA

Yes, just like Tony said just line the blades up evenly. Center the pitch slider and center the servo. Put the ball link on the servo arm in the closest hole to the servo, and the gyro will take care of the rest. That's what I did when setting up the Microbeast and it flies great. I would assume the 3gx is similar.

KLA

I never messed with a 3gx. I've always had flybarred helis til I just recently converted my 450 pro. Well, except for the Blade micros and 230s that I have, but that's not really the same. They were already set up from the factory. But, so far, I really love the Microbeast that Rodney gave me. He's the man!!!! REALLY helped me out.

Back to the OP's question, just set up the tail like Tony explained and you will be good. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Eggy 71

I readjusted the tail to neutral or just a touch the other way. I powered up and got a feel for the bird light on the skids( working my way up to lift off, don't have the nerve or wallet to jump right into a lift off) . It seems to respond well but wants to pirouette counter clockwise continually A touch of right rudder holds it but should that be present. Will that disappear as I get into a hover or should I be adjusting sub trim on the rudder?

KLA

With a FBL gyro you really shouldn't use subtrim, or any trim at all. First I would make sure that you have it in heading hold (HH) or headlock mode, whatever you wanna call it, and see if the tail will hold. If not, then adjust your linkage rod, either longer or shorter, whatever way you need to so the tail will hold when you have the heli up to hover speed. You shouldn't use any kind of trim at all.

To get into HH mode, your tail gain settings in your TX need to be above 50. If your settings go from 0-100, then above 50 is HH mode and below 50 is Rate mode. If your settings go from -100 to +100 (like mine do) then anything from 0 to +100 is HH mode and from 0 to -100 is Rate mode. I would make sure you are in HH mode first.

Hope I didn't confuse you. But, like I said, try HH mode first. If it still wont hold then adjust your tail linkage rod until it does hold. Don't use any kind of trim

Tony

Staff member
Are you in HH mode? You should have a green status light on top of the 3GX. If not, you need to be. Go into your gyro menu and select Aux2 as your channel if you are using satellites only, or Channel 5 (gear) if you are using another Rx with teh 3GX (this is the ONLY gyro that is like this). Once in there, set your gyro to about 45% if using a -100 to 100 scale or set it to 65% if you are using a 0 to 100 scale. Hope this makes sense.

Tony

Staff member
I didn't even see Keiths post up there lmao. But I can assure you, it will hold once in HH mode.

KLA

That's ok, Tony. I'm invisible. Lol.

You have more experience with the 3gx, so you can better explain how exactly to set it up. My main point was to not use any trim and make sure it was in HH mode.

Tony

Staff member
Actually, you have to use subtrim in the 3GX to get the swash setup as well as messing with the servo endpoints, but 'trim', as stated, should never be touched.

I'm really thinking about putting my 3GX back in my 450 Pro just to say I have one installed. I really like that heli though lmao.

KLA

See, I wouldn't have known that. I never set up a 3gx before. But, basically, you still don't use TX trim, right? Just subtrim while setting it up. That's why I love the Microbeast. Very easy to set up and works great!

Tony

Staff member
That is correct, you will NEVER touch the trim tabs on the Tx face, unless you are adjusting or killing throttle on a nitro or gasser. But even then, I ONLY use subtrim and I use the throttle cut feature that every Tx has now lol.

It was a good gyro of it's time, but now, it's just outdated and very unstable with the latest releases. If I put it on my helicopter, I'm going to run 2.1 more than likely.

KLA

I think I'll just stick with my Beast. I love it. Have absolutely no problems with it at all. If I would change I'd probably go with either a Brain or the Demon.

Top Bottom