450 450 main gear

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I can use some help in understanding teeth count on my 450 main gear. 121 teeth vs. 121 teeth slanted, i would like to know the difference between the two beside being slanted . On the main gear if you have 121 teeth can i use 151 teeth ? Hope i explain my self, some what?

Derek

The slant tooth gear is said to be stronger and more resistant to stripping, but it can still strip out, given the right circumstances. If you go higher in the tooth count on the main gear, the slower your head speed will be.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
The slant tooth gear is said to be stronger and more resistant to stripping, but it can still strip out, given the right circumstances. If you go higher in the tooth count on the main gear, the slower your head speed will be.
Thank you for the 411 on the HS. I don't want that ,not yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Is slower head speed more for scale flying is that correct?

murankar

Staff member
Faster head speeds make the heli more stable. It also allows the pilot to perform tricks easier, somewhat. Newer pilots tend to favor higher head speeds over lower. Some will say it takes less skill to fly with higher head speeds. Batteries tend to drain quicker, shorter flight Times.

Lower head speeds can result in motor bogging and less stable flight. More skilled pilots prefer this because they have to manage collective. Tricks tend to be more fluid but can still be crisp. Batteries tend to last longer in flight.

I have been trying to work with lower head speeds. I want to learn the collective side but still be able to perform maneuvers. In the end it boils down to preference.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
121 and 151 are different pitches on the teeth of the main gear and pinion. The 121 is going to be something like a 16 pitch whereas the 151 is going to be a 32 pitch. The two gears are the same diameter so you will achieve the same overall head speed. There is not, that I know of, different teeth for the main gears. You can only change the pinion gear to do this. Just make sure you get the correct pinion for the main gear you are using.

I`m not sure if the slant tooth is any advantage, Truck and car gearboxes have them for greater tooth contact and to reduce whine, the payoff comes as an increase in thrust ( end ) load , whichever way if you crash under power the teeth will strip or suffer damage, if the teeth can`t strip something else will break , probably more expensive, at least main gears only cost pennies and are easy to replace.

orbi

Hi . I have changed all my heli s to slant tooth and have never stripped one yet. The dodge is to make the heli fail at a gear point that is easy to access and cheap to replace. that said they usually go in the main box buried in the belly of the mainframe. Stronger gearing with a belt system that will slip on a given torque, now wouldnt that be nice. That s why I prefer my Sport in a sense. Repairs are cheaper its more forgiving.

orbi

Pure Genius , extra strength , reduced noise, more reliable and all without increasing wheel thickness

Tony

Staff member
you would normally use the slant gears when you are using a higher wattage motor. the teeth are larger thus stronger.

Top Bottom