450 450 L tail issues

ChainsawHeli

Hi and thank you for the help. I bought a 450 L Dominator off someone who never set it up. It is all set up now with a AR7200 and everything seemed to be fine. The only problem I'm having is the tail. Firstly the tail servo only moves a tiny amount in each direction, and I have set it up several times with the end points. I even tried setting it up with end points beyond the actual range and it makes no difference. In flight mode it only moves in half of it's range. The only way I could work out to make it work was to use a longer servo arm.
The second issue which I am sure is related to the first, is during the first few flights, there is very little tail control, and I am constantly compensating for every movement. It is pretty scary when the tail keeps swinging in all directions and I am keeping a constant compensation to keep things under control.

As a backnote, I flew a lot (450's) before kids, that was 12 years ago so I am sure to be a little rusty with the set up. This is my foray back into the sport, a little scary foray so far.

I would appreciate any help, Cheers Chris

Smoggie

Hi Chris,

Couple of suggestions:

1. Make sure that your tail servo is set to the correct 'centre point pulse width' in the AR7200 setup. If it's a standard Align tail servo that will be 1500 or 1520us

2. Check that the tail gain in the Tx (channel 5) is not set too low. Something like +40% is usually a good starting point. If you have the gain very low the servo wont respond.

Cooldisel

Hi and thank you for the help. I bought a 450 L Dominator off someone who never set it up. It is all set up now with a AR7200 and everything seemed to be fine. The only problem I'm having is the tail. Firstly the tail servo only moves a tiny amount in each direction, and I have set it up several times with the end points. I even tried setting it up with end points beyond the actual range and it makes no difference. In flight mode it only moves in half of it's range. The only way I could work out to make it work was to use a longer servo arm.
The second issue which I am sure is related to the first, is during the first few flights, there is very little tail control, and I am constantly compensating for every movement. It is pretty scary when the tail keeps swinging in all directions and I am keeping a constant compensation to keep things under control.

As a backnote, I flew a lot (450's) before kids, that was 12 years ago so I am sure to be a little rusty with the set up. This is my foray back into the sport, a little scary foray so far.

I would appreciate any help, Cheers Chris

i will give you some of the mistakes i have done and it might help u ^_^ (im also a flyer who stopped heli for more than 10 years so very rusty)
- there is a sleeve inside the slider of the tail rotor that was loose from the previous builder
- the servo pulse as Smoggie highlighted
- also becuase i used sat on 3GX it requires to assign AUX2 to the gain and by default its inhabited

also check your head speed i think for align as i have seen in 500 and 600 on hovering it should be 60-65%

Top Bottom