Motors 450 class helicopter motor shopping

Derek

There are quite a few of us, RCH Members and Staff, that either have or have owned a 450 helicopter. I even seem to remember that several of us have different brands of motors, many with different kv ratings.

I have a 3600kv motor on my 450 Pro DFC. I bought the 3600kv motor from Hobby King because the 3200kv motor was on back order. Well...although my 3600kv motor is working very well, I'm becoming more interested in flying a lower kv motor in search of more torque. I've heard great things about the Align 450MX 3400kv motor and even the Align 3200kv motor that comes with the 3S 450L Dominator. I also know that some people here have Scorpion motors on their 450's. I've been offered a pretty good deal on a Scorpion motor. I don't remember the size of the motor but it's for 450 helicopters and is a 3000kv motor.

I'm interested in hearing some thoughts from the forum on their 450 motors and pinion.

Tony

Staff member
I do highly suggest the 3400kv Align motor. That is what I'm flying and it's great. However, try dropping one or two teeth on your pinion. That will give you more torque and keep the helicopter from bogging as bad.

Derek

I've gone from the 12 tooth pinion to an 11 tooth pinion. Is there an 10 tooth pinion for 450's? Maybe I'll just hunt down one of those.

Yes there's a 10T pinion, I've got one on my blade now with the stock 3800 motor, I don't advise a 4200 motor though with a 14T pinion..... Destroys your heli....lol

Search for the BLH1610 10T pinion

Last edited:

Derek

I need to find a 10 tooth slant pinion because I'm using the Align slant main gear on my 450. And I really have no interest in a 4200kv motor nor a 14 tooth pinion lol. After running my 3600kv motor, I don't want any higher kv. 3400kv at the highest.

Admiral

If your after torque I converted an older 450 Pigeon M1 to 6S with a Scorpion 2221 Motor and running an 6S 1300 mAh battery it has heaps of torque and the battery would last about 10 minutes sports flying.
I confess I bought the motor off Ebay not realising that it required 6S to run but I decided to buy the battery's and ESC and try it, I am extremely pleased with the result.
So pleased I ended up going FBL with it not bad for a helicopter first released in the mid 1990's, the only draw back is the aluminum frame if you prang it, although parts are still available and very cheap.

Last edited:

Derek

What about the LX0331

lol, i had to do a Google search on "LX0331" just so I knew what you were talking about, ha ha ha. I did check out the Lynx site and the LX0331 pinion set isn't shaped like the same pinion that I have. Although it might still work. Thanks for the suggestion.

If your after torque I converted an older 450 Pigeon M1 to 6S with a Scorpion 2221 Motor and running an 6S 1300 mAh battery it has heaps of torque and the battery would last about 10 minutes sports flying.
I confess I bought the motor off Ebay not realising that it required 6S to run but I decided to buy the battery's and ESC and try it, I am extremely pleased with the result.
So pleased I ended up going FBL with it not bad for a helicopter first released in the mid 1990's, the only draw back is the aluminum frame if you prang it, although parts are still available and very cheap.

Thanks for your input, Keith! I've been sorely considering a 6S setup on my 450. I already have the Castle Creations 50amp esc, which would handle the higher voltage. I'd just need to purchase the motor. But...since I already have eight 3S 2200mah batteries, I'm still thinking of staying with 3S. That's just one of those terrible things about this hobby....there are just so many options.

Lee

6S means so much less stress on your electronics, and especially your packs.
I'd get the Scorpion motor and use your CC 50A ESC. That would be awesome.
Once you decide to get a WARP or a KDS Chase, you can just swap over the elect :D

murankar

Staff member
My 2 cents is Scorpion 2221-*. I have the -8 which is a 3595 kv @ 3S. It has a stock 3.17mm shaft and an upgrade shaft for the 3.5mm. I love my Scorpions, i have more than enough power coming from it. I have yet to really test the motor but for me it works great.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

xokia

Old thread now but how is the KDE not a contender? I had both the 3S and the 6S KDE both excellent motors and very little difference in output power between the 3S and 6S version. You did however need a good battery for the 3S KDE. The nano-tech A-spec 2200 mAh was an exceptional battery. 3S does get hotter but still within reason. If you intend to buy new batteries to then go 6S.

murankar

Staff member
If I had the cash I would go KDE Direct myself. I would go 6s if I did.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom