FBL Gyro 3GX VER 3.0 problems with Heli smaller than 550

dony45

I am building an Align EFL Pro with the older Ver 2.0 and was going to upgrade to the 3.0 version but I was reading how the 3.0 needs more power and people were having problems with Helicopter sizes 550 or less. They were recommending
an upgraded ESC to around 90 amps like the Talon 90 which runs around $90. They were also recommending a separate BEC. Another suggestion was turning the pots down but some people were having problems even with that. There is a whole discussion of it on Helifreak. Click on the address below.

3GX 3.0 power and gains on 550 and smaller helis - HeliFreak

Even though some people were having no problems others have had browns outs which makes me just want to stay with the 2.0 version.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Welcome to the madness that is RCH! There are plenty of treads on here about the 3gx on a 450. Lots of people are enjoying them. They can be a little difficult to set up but that's mostly not knowing what you are doing. Tony has a video series on the 450 align 3 gx. Last Marius has one too. I'm sure they will chime in on this when the get to reading this tread!

Lee

We have many guys on here running the V3 on 450s. I'm sure they will set you on the right path when they see this thread. Plenty of help right here for you.

Tony

Staff member
a 90a ESC on a 450? Someone needs to read up on how much power an Align 450MX is pulling. The stock 35a esc will be fine. If you are worried about running 3.0 and/or you are a new heli pilot, then stick with 2.0 and get used to the heli. Once you get familiar with that, then you can try 3.0 and if you don't like it, revert back to 2.0.

dony45

a 90a ESC on a 450? Someone needs to read up on how much power an Align 450MX is pulling. The stock 35a esc will be fine. If you are worried about running 3.0 and/or you are a new heli pilot, then stick with 2.0 and get used to the heli. Once you get familiar with that, then you can try 3.0 and if you don't like it, revert back to 2.0.

Yes I am thinking of doing that. Also will wait till you do a video on updating to 3.0

Tony

Staff member
I can assure you, it's coming, I just don't know when. The helicopter that has the 3GX on it is giving me some troubles at the moment, but I'm working on it and will get videos pumping out as soon as I can.

I did the update from 2.1 to 3.o today (I thought).
On my desktop icon it shows to be version 3.0, but when I open the program and go to display, it still says version 2.1

I also had to download a .rdr file reader to read the type of file format that is on Align's website.
Does this mean that I have 3.0. I dont think I do because I read in your thread about the pot gains being between 100 and 120 and you had yours at 110. I ddnt have the option to get that high on the display settings tab.

Feedback appreciated!

Tony

Staff member
what was the program that you updated it from? You must be running the 3GX v3.0 software on your computer in order to update it to 3.0.

I installed the disc that came with my 450 Pro, version 2.1,it is installed on my computer already, I went to Aligns site to update the version 2.1 with 3.0 download.

Now my desktop icon shows to be 3GX3.0, but I dont think it is.

What do I do now?

Thanks Tony, you always seem to come through for us newbs. I got the Goblin 500 manual out and I'm studying for the build. I wont start it till I get all the components bought.

I finshed up the 250 Pro DFC tonight, pics on the 250-300 forum.

Tony

Staff member
still can't believe you got the 500 lol. I would love to have that heli. But, it is what it is. Cant' wait to see the birds in the air once you get that 3GX sorted out.

Ok I got it installed, this is what I had before, Version 3.0. I still don't understand what I can set up as far as the software with the heli. If I am right, once you finish with the DIR settings, all other settings can be done with PC?? I have connected the heli to the PC, didnt change anything though. Dont understand "read" "write". Can you explain or do you have a video out on this?

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Tony

Staff member
Read is to read the information from the gyro. Write is to write the new info to the gyro that you setup.

Go into the 3GX part that I linked to above and go through the initial setup of the DIR and tail, and then read Gaba's post on v3.0.

Top Bottom