3gx Setup Guide Part 5 Flight Mode Settings On The Computer

nowayoks

Hi wanted to say thanks Tony for all your time you take to help people on heli setups and I have certainly learned a lot from this video and others as well I have learned to tam down my t-rex 450 pro DFC software version . 5.0 3gx thanks again have a good day. Ps my older version was 3.1and liked it. like it better

- - - Updated - - -

Hi wanted to say thanks Tony for all your time you take to help people on heli setups and I have certainly learned a lot from this video and others as well I have learned to tam down my t-rex 450 pro DFC software version . 5.0 3gx thanks again have a good day. Ps my older version was 3.1and liked it. like 5.0 better

JoieC

Hi Tony, I just purchased a used trex250 and I am having issues getting the 3gx dialed in. I used the recommended settings from this forum. I have the pot for aliron tuned all the way to the left. the other pot is at 10 oclock. rudder gain is 48 on my DX7se. If I give it a hard picth pump the gyro goes into a terrible wobble. I have ballanced the blades, the checked the linkage for binding

any suggestions

Tony

Staff member
Lower your tail gyro gain in the Tx. Also, if you are running the 3GX with a separate Rx, then you will have your gyro gain on channel 5, if you are only using satellites, then your gyro gain will be on channel 7. Hope this helps.

leedude1

When I make changes to the flight mode settings wiht the heli plugged in, will they automatically be fed to the gyro or do I have to "write" theses changes.
Once I click write changes will this obliged me to go through the limit and reverse settings again.. or only if I touch pitch, sub trim or gyro version.

thanks

Tony

Staff member
You must click on Write for it to be sent to the 3GX. And you shouldn't have to change any other settings when you do this.

leedude1

Finally got her in the air for the test hover.. WOW,,,,NOW THAT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE MY TREX 150.!!!!!!!!:biggrin1:

I got her up and held it around 3- 4 feet seemed like the tail slowly moved to the right and finally held at like an 11 o'clock position in the air...so chopper turned clockwise ever so slowly with no stick input... I had adjusted the tail servo in rate mode and put in one full turn of the ball link ... because there was a definite wanting to turn. I didn't double check it in rate again (probably should have) but didn't think it could actually require more than that... any way...Ill run the test again next time. Think that could be it?

Nothing funky happened with the exception of at one point a quick tail twitch... normal???

and at one point chopper all plugged in and rudder at center and the rudder servo slowly move to the limit. I centered the stick and then watched it slowly do this again.. I unplugged and reinitialized and all was good...again..normal? or is my gain not high enough I have it set at 45% on a Dx6 (the new chatty version)..

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
The tail drifting while you are in a hover could be too low of a tail gain. It should not be required to center the tail in rate mode, but it doesn't hurt to do so. As for the twitch, this could be a glitch in the software which is common on the 3GX.

As for the blades going to the limits while sitting on the ground with no blades spinning, this is completely normal on HH mode. It's sensing an input and it's trying to move the helicopter to the "heading" it's been ordered to go to, but the helicopter is not moving. The result is, it keeps adding pitch to the blades until it moves.

Tony, (or anybody)

I was reading something this morning and I am hoping to see what your thoughts are. Lets say the 3GX is flashed for 2.1 and you flash it to 5.0. Do you have to go through all the updates before you get to 5? Meaning do you have to flash 3.0, 3.1, 4 and then 5. Or can you just jump from 2.1 to 5? I was able to flash 5 and bind to DSMX without any problems. Is this something that is going to come back as a problem when I get deeper into the setup?

Tony

Staff member
I have only started hearing this as of late. But I have never had an issue flashing straight to the version you are wanting.

leedude1

I had seen on the Align 3GX FAQ site that they suggested running through the list in order... which I had done, but as Tony mentioned I'm not sure if there would really be any significant change/difference.

leedude1

So got her up in a hover again today trying to set things up and dial it in..but the tail keeps ripping back to center after I ease off the stick... I have the gyro on my radio set to 45% (dx6 chatty version) should I bump this up on the TX? The tails not really moving in a straight hover but it wont stay where I put after any rudder input.. I can adjust while hovering but wouldn't try and actually fly it like that.

I left the tail hold setting at default in the 3GX V5 on my software I believe its at 70% if memory serves me (its on my laptop so no access for now but pretty sure) does this have any influence?

Tony

Staff member
This is the issue with some of the V5's. The tail will kick back to the starting point of the piro and sometime, as in my case, went beyond. The only fix that I know of is to downgrade. If you are good at getting off the ground very quickly when you spool up, go with 3.1. If not, go with 2.1.

leedude1

Just out of curiosity and Im sure you've done this already but did re flashing the V5 ever work? or were the results always the same.... because its really good on the ground now,,,so Ill move to the 3,1 if the re flash has already been tried and I'm only wasting time.

leedude1

No sir no need, Ill trust you on that if its already been attempted... so Ill wipe the 5 and load 3.1 from here.. and fill you in later today as to the results.

Tony

Staff member
Just ale sure to get it off the ground FAST when you spool up. It will try to tip over on 3.1.

leedude1

Well sir, I mechanically shortened by tail servo rod as I thought there was still to much drift (in rate from yesterdays test) I put some silicone fuel line tubing on the skids to get just a little more clearance off the ground for the tail rotors as I struck some pebbles the other day and also to perhaps provide a little bit of vibration cushioning when on the ground.
I made the firmware changes, flashed the 3.1 redid the DIR etc.. etc :blahblah:.. then rushed to the soccer field as daylight was quickly disappearing.. I bought her to a third stick then popped her up to 3-4 feet and let her continue to spool up there.

MAN THIS THING WAS ON RAILS :twothumbsup:... it just did not move... absolutely perfect :yahoo: ... I didn't push things or get into idle up as there were kids on the way and I was just looking to see if we would see a difference with the tweeks and changes... Im going to continue to push the gains next time but if gets better than that, I can put it the air, do a coffee run, and come back to land it later.:lol:

A personal thanks to all who chimed in over the last little while :flowers1: , for the help in my first build, on the questions and the patience with some of my less than bright moments. :facepalm:

Funs over, now I get to play.:party:

20150609_183152-1.jpg

20150609_183152-1.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That is fantastic news bro. So glad you know how to pop the helicopter up into a hover like that. 3.1 is great, but HATES to sit on the ground. Once you get it off the ground, it's fantastic. Now, all we need is some video! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom