FBL Gyro 3GX losing tail control after steep ascending and descending

Chancol

I am quite new to 3GX and FBL. I was flying with my 450 heli FBL and 3GX 4.0 combination. I have MKS cyclic servos, HobbyKing 15158A tail servo, cheap Mystery ESC and Turnigy Typhoon motor. Battery is 3s, 2200mah, 25C.

I decided to have some fun and throw it around with steep ascending and descending to test out the tail holding compensation factor (whatever the correct term is in the 3GX programming software. I had to increase that factor though).

Initially, the tail was holding well when the heli was thrown up and down like a jojo. After doing it maybe 10 times, it looked tired and the tail was not really responding. Luckily, it did not crash. After a while, it kind of recovered and responded weakly again.

I thought it might be the battery. when it was full, it holds well. When its low, it does not give the headspeed needed to lock the tail. That was my theory.

But I think after I changed to a new battery, the tail still did not respond as good as before. I examined the tail servo but did not see any observable damage or worn out.

So, I just want to check with you guys what I need to be careful of with this king of steep ascending and descending. I am not a 3D pilot. Once I can control this, my next step would be doing flips. The last thing I want is that after I flip the heli, the tail does not respond to me anymore.

Do you think for example, it is necessary to use battery with higher C?

Tony

Staff member
A higher C battery i always a good idea. I tell people, get the highest c that you can afford.

Did you happen to feel your tail servo when it stopped responding? I'm wondering if it's getting hot. Also, might want to up your gain a little bit. Worth a shot anyway.

Chancol

A higher C battery i always a good idea. I tell people, get the highest c that you can afford.

Did you happen to feel your tail servo when it stopped responding? I'm wondering if it's getting hot. Also, might want to up your gain a little bit. Worth a shot anyway.

That HobbyKing servo always get hot after a normal flight. Apart from getting hot, it works quite well during flight. The spec is also very good on paper. Now that you have asked the question, it reminded me that the same model of that servo on my other 450 heli died not long ago. Maybe that is the root cause.

As for the battery, yes I know higher C is always better but I am not flying 3D yet. I know that when I get more serious in 3D, I'll need to invest more in batteries. I hope that day will come sooner than later.

murankar

Staff member
On a 450 class heli a 35c rated battery should be more than enough. A 2250 35c pack should net you around 77 amps of continuous power. If your just starting out with helis and just doing basic to sport flying a 25c will work.

I had 3 2200 25c packs that did just fine when they were new. Those packs produced up to 55 amps of current. I don't think I ever needed that.

I am also leery of packs claiming c ratings over 35c.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom