600 3gx Gyro Question

Tom Edgerton

Hi, Just a quick question. Can the Align 3GX gyro be used on a flybar helicopter?? If not...any suggestions for a gyro? I'm building the HK600GT. And I'm using the Turnigy 9X TX and RX. I do have the KDS Flymentor system. Thanks for any help!!

Tom Edgerton

Thanks jacobcreek! I just went and checked out some setups for this gyro, on youtube. It's not what I'm looking for. I am looking for a 3 axis gyro. Right now on a 450 clone I have. I'm using a Detrum GY47V, and have good luck with it. But, I need a gyro that controls the main blade as well.

murankar

Staff member
So if your setting up a gt600 I would just get a KBAR and fly that. The fly mentor is not a flybarless gyro in a sense for flybarless. If its what I think it is, its for a flybar setup (could be wrong) . I have no experience with it. In all honesty you could use 3gx on a flybar, just hook up the tail and be done. Personally just get a used align tail gyro. Those should be dirt cheap by now.

Tom Edgerton

Hi Guys, Thanks for your responses. The HK600GT is a flybar helicopter. The KDS Flymentor is a 3 axis gyro. It controls, not only the tail of the heli. But, also the main blade. Making for hands off hovering. It's a little bulky, with three parts. It has a tail gyro, a receiver, and a CCTV camera. Programing is done either by PC, or a program card/box. The 3GX, if I'm correct, is a 3 axis gyro. But, it is advertised for flybarless heli's. I'm just wondering if it will work on a flybar heli. Although it would be great to own an Align, or Goblin, etc. They are out of my price range. I have to enjoy this hobby on a budget. I live on a fixed income. Thanks again guys!!

murankar

Staff member
In general no. 3 axis gyros are for flybareless only. You could in theory hook up just the tail and be good.

Just get a gp720; which I think is the align tail gyro, to keep it simple.

jacobcreek

If you're looking for a hands off hover, just use the KDS flymentor. Since you already have it, just use it. Otherwise upgrade the head to a flybarless and use a kbar gyro. That's the other cheaper alternative, you would probably need some sim time aswell. I suggest getting the Next CGM simulator comes with free updates.

Tom Edgerton

Thank You gentlemen!! I guess the KDS, is the way to go at this time. Had hoped that with all the new tech upgrades. That there would be a single unit 3 axis gyro out there. Let me change the subject here. I am looking for a five or six hundred sized Bell 47, R/C helicopter. Century Hobby use to sell one. Vario, makes a large scale Bell 47. But, it is very expensive, at $2000 for just the air frame. Any ideas?? Thanks again!!

Tony

Staff member
Yes, the 3GX can be used as a tail only gyro, but you will need a separate Rx and you will need to plug your servos directly into the receiver and NOT into the 3GX or Flybarless unit. This will render the cyclic useless in the gyro, but still give you tail gyro. However I do not suggest it. I found a cheap Align GP780 tail gyro and I have it on my 450 SE V2. With this being on a 600, do yourself a favor and trash the 3GX idea and get a dedicated tail gyro. Or, since the HK kits are very hit or miss on getting a good one (I had one, didn't like it), just get an Align 600 FBL head and call it done. I think I have one floating around here somewhere lol. I have DFC on my helicopter now though. Head and tail.

Top Bottom