500 3gx Dongle?

superjet800

Hi,
I'm new here I just made the jump from a 250 class heli to a used trex 550 it came with a 3GX but no programming cable/dongle. I attempted to buy the ZXY programmer but it didn't work . I've scoured the internet for a cable/dongle with no luck does anyone here know where to get one or how to make one? or should i just junk the 3GX and go with a microbeast?

Tony

Staff member
Since you mentioned it, definitely junk the 3GX and go BX! It is far superior and the 3GX is likely to have some kind of issue hence why they no longer make it.

As you found out, the ZYX dongle doesn't work. I tried that as well when i got my first 3GX years ago.

But, if you are dead set on using the 3GX (highly suggest against it), I think I have a couple of the dongles laying around here. I have no plans of using them again. But again, I suggest either the MicroBeast, the AR7210BX, or better yet, the Ikon2.

And welcome to RCH!

:welcome1:

Tony

Staff member
My first reccomendation is always the Ikon2. This thing just works, has bailout mode and self level if you are in to that sort of thing. And, it comes with it stock, nothing else to pay. This will make sense in a minute lol.

The AR7200BX, AR7210BX and all of the other AR7xxxBX gyros are basically an AR7000 receiver built right into a BeastX gyro. These are nice if you are a little tight on space and have no satellites (which I highly suggest). These gyros will accept a single satellite and then use their onboard antennas as the other receiver for diversity. These are a little harder in some aspects to mount properly to get true diversity.

Next is the MicroBeast. This one I would not put on a 550 mainly because it is only a single satellite if you are using the adapter to use the satellite which in some cases you have to purchase separately. My microbeast came with one, and I have the MB clone that I had to order the adapter from china (clone gyro, I was not going to put an adapter cable on it that cost as much as the gyro lol. All it is is a 5v to a 3.3v stepdown so you don't blow up your satellite by over volting it).

Here is the kicker with the AR's and the MB's though (actually I think it is only on the AR's, not 100% sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong here). If you want bailout like comes on the 230s and other helicopters, then you must not only purchase the gyro, but you MUST spend an additional $100 for SAFE, which is Horizons version of bailout and self leveling. This is why I highly suggest the Ikon2. The full version.

So about the ikons. If you have a good BEC in your ESC, then you can just get the standard version of the Ikon2, but definitely not the mini. If you would like the ability to setup over Bluetooth, you can get that version. However, if you are looking into running a separate receiver battery, then the Ikon2 HD is what you want. It comes with the wires and the plug to connect a 2s lipo directly to the gyro and the gyro takes care of the power to the servos. If you do it this way, remove the red wire from the ESC so that you don't have conflicting voltages or even worse, reverse voltage into either the ESC or the battery. There should be diode protections to prevent this, but it blows up the diode.

Lots of info, let me know if you have any questions or if that was a little too confusing.

superjet800

Ok that’s a lot of info! Couple of questions though. Does the ikon2 standard version require a separate receiver? I want to use just a FBL and two satellites.
How does the ikon2 work with the older gen1 dx8, my only concern now is if I stick with spektrum the setup to a older transmitter may be simpler but I could be way off ? The last setup I did I downloaded the program from the spektrum site for my 230s on a Sd card and uploaded it to the transmitter. lol super simple,not probably an option at this level correct?

Tony

Staff member
The Ikon2 has two ports specifically for two Spektrum Satellite Receivers, which is why I love this gyro (one of the reasons lol). Setup with the DX8 G1 is flawless and sets up very easy.

superjet800

Does it matter weather it’s aluminum cased or plastic cased? Also I have an align RCE-BL70G esc will this work with the ikon 2 there was something on their site about it only working with certain esc’s but it’s possible it was in reference to telemetry.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
The case doesn't really matter although the aluminum one will be quite a bit stronger. And the ESC should work just fine with the Ikon and Ikon2

superjet800

Thank you very much this is the most help I’ve ever gotten from a forum without a lot of shame and ridicule thanks for just answering my questions!

Tony

Staff member
The shame and ridicule is why this forum exists. I was just like everyone else when I got into this hobby. I went to the forums, I asked the same questions that everyone else asks, and holy hell was I bashed for it. I just sat there at my desk thinking there had to be a better way. So I started searching how to create a forum of my own, knowing it would be a HUGE undertaking that I never in my life thought would actually take off (and in some ways it hasn't) but we are still here. And we have strict rules AGAINST bashing a new member in the hobby. Anyone that does answers to me, and they usually get banned immediately without warning.

I am glad that we could help out! Keep posting and letting us know how things are going!

murankar

Staff member
Real quick, from what I have heard Tony is right on the bailout. It is a firmware upgrade. What I don't remember is if it is under the S.A.F.E. Feature or standalone.

Another about the micro beast is that its power bus may not be able to support the current loads of full sized servos. But there is a way to work around that. The older Mikado mini V /mini K-Bar had that issue on 700 class kits. People figured out how to solve the problem.

Tony gave some excellent options. Also a brand called spirit has been used a Lot on here.

murankar

Staff member
The solution on this was to run the negative and positive leads from the servo connector to the RX and leave the signal wire in the gyro. That way the power came from a more beefy RX instead of the weaker fbl unit.

superjet800

So the ikon website is not super informative but I went on to buy one and noticed there is a regular version and a HD version what is the difference between those two?

murankar

Staff member
One is a higher performance, more than likely. With a price tag to match. Generally when something is labeled as such your getting better. It's likely geared for hard core pilots who need that extra 5%.

If your just a normal person doing normal flights and not worried about taking first place then get the regular ikon2.

Tony

Staff member
The HD version has a plug that comes with it with a built in BEC. You can put a 2s lipo on it. Very helpful if you are flying a 500 or larger helicopter. If you are flying anything smaller with a BEC built in to the ESC, just get the regular version. As for performance, they are exactly the same.

murankar

Staff member
Thanks for the help. Why didn't they just label it HV instead? I guess the would will never know. NEO RULZ

superjet800

Ok so with the align 550 I should go with the hd and add a 2 cell battery? Where do you mount the extra battery and what does that battery do, does it keep constant power to the gyro? I’m fairly certain a BEC is built into bl70g so would this be a valued upgrade?

Tony

Staff member
Because as far as I remember (way too tired to look up the specs...), the voltage handling capability of the standard and the HD are the same. It's just the HD has the BEC circuit. I'm sure there is more to it, but that is the relevant part. I'm too tired to think right now lol.

Tony

Staff member
Actually I forgot about the 550. If you got the super combo, it came with a very good Hobbywing ESC with a great BEC built into it. So in this case, you can order either one. If you want to use an external BEC, you can get the HD, if you want to run the BEC built into the ESC, that is fine as well. So dealers choice on this one.

murankar

Staff member
If your align 550 is designed for 6s don't worry about the HD. A 6s esc will have a BEC built it. The Hobby wing 100amp Low voltage is an great example. Now the same esc for High voltage does not have the BEC and will need an RX pack.

Top Bottom