450 3GX Bid procedure

HeliNovice

Hi,

Found your site after watching your very clear and informative videos on YouTube.

However even after watching several times and repeating steps over and over again I'm still having trouble.

I have an Align 450 Sport FBL which came with a Futaba receiver but I have a DX7s. So, simple I thought, ditch the Futaba receiver and attach 2 satellites.
No response at all from the 3GX when attempting to bind. Ok, so I'll set up with AR6100 receiver instead set up as you show. When powered on I now have the green lights on 3GX flash and then two red lights stay illuminated. Being new to 3GX not sure if this is correct. However my main question is how do you bind when your video shows both bind ports on 3GX and receiver have the power lead to receiver plugged into them?

Obviously I would prefer the 2 satellite route if you have any idea where I may be going wrong.

Many thanks

Tony

Staff member
With the 7s, just run satellites. You will plug your bind plug into the bind port on the 3gx then connect the battery. The satellites should be flashing rapidly. From here, hold down the bind button and bind her up. Let me know if this works. And make sure your bind plug is good. You should have continuity through the wire. If you dont, then the plug is bad.

HeliNovice

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. With just a 'good' bind plug in and the throttle plug from the BEC plus the satellites I get an initial orange flash from the satellites. When attempting to bind it just goes to transmitting, no bind. The satellites are from an AR6200 receiver which is DMS2, do they need to be DSMX? I have checked the voltage at the throttle plug and it's 5v. I have two 3GX units and both give the same result. I'm guessing I'm doing something obvious wrong!

Cheers, Paul

Tony

Staff member
Dsm2 is just fine. No worries there. Make sure to point the antenna away front the RX and at least 3 feet away. And make sure to hold the bind button down the whole time.

You may even try swapping ports on he 3gx for the sats and creating a new model in the Tx. If you can post up a video I can see if there is something obvious wrong. Trust me, if it can be done wrong, I have done it lol.

HeliNovice

Cheers, will try that, I know I'm closer than 3 feet when attempting to bind. If it still doesn't work will post video as you suggest.

Thanks again Tony.

HeliNovice

Hi,

I have tried as you suggested, swapping satellite ports and from well over 3ft away and created a new model in Tx. Still only get one flash on receiver on power up and no bind. The 3GX unit in the video is brand new straight out of the box as I initially thought the 3GX was the problem. I have tried to video it for you. I then plugged the same throttle lead into my AR6200 with a satellite receiver, it bound no problem at all !

[video]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wRU7n7ftyCM/VUUpiL_9ndI/AAAAAAAAAFg/8bOL9267_sI/w276-h207-p-no/VIDEO0029.3gp[/video]

Hopefully you can spot my schoolboy error.......it must be starring me in the face but I can't see it !

Cheers, Paul

- - - Updated - - -

[video]https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/search/%23Videos?pid=6144362933930270162&oid=107023411613761169479[/video]

Perhaps this link will work, as I tried to view the previous one and only got a photo!

Tony

Staff member
Looking at that photo (the second link didn't pull anything up for me), everything seems to be correct. Make sure if you are only using one sat Rx that it's plugged into port 2 (don't ask me why, but there have been many issues with port 1 only) and make sure the bind plug is good. That is the only two things that I can not see in the photo that could be wrong, but I am pretty sure you are doing it right.

Do you have only one 3GX, or did you order a second one? If so, are both doing this? Do you by chance have the cash for something like the AR7200BX? Just tossing out options. The BX is a dead stable out of the box with factory settings gyro. I love this thing. The next step up, but a little more involved in setup (need a computer) is the Ikon. Again, awesome gyro and if you get it setup correctly, it has self level. But the BX has a spektrum Rx built in, so no need for anything else. And both of these just work.

HeliNovice

Hi Tony,

Thamks for your reply again, I had bought another brand new 3GX and yep exactly the same happens. Led me to think it's the sats. So I tried binding with just the AR6200 and one sat, missing out the 3GX altogether.....all bound fine. Receiver flashing and everything! Tried again with the 3GX and sats in exactly the same way as 10's of times before........well....it only went and worked! Seems the sats needed a 'kick start' from the Spektrum receiver!

Thanks for your advice and help and I'm now seriously considering selling both 3GX and getting the BX as you suggest......already fed up with the 3GX!

Cheers, Paul

PS....may come back to you when I have trouble setting it up but will check out the videos first. Thanks again.

Tony

Staff member
I'm happy that you got it working. Sometimes these things are a pain in the butt. Let me know if you need any other help.

HeliNovice

Hi Tony,

Things are still a pain in the butt !!! Came back heli today to start setting up having left it exactly as it was when it was working and........no flashing sats or lights on 3GX. Think I'm going to order that BX....too many wasted hours already! I enjoy a challenge but this 3GX is just laughing at me now! lol.

Cheers, Paul

Tony

Staff member
lmao, I have felt that way as well sometimes with that gyro. Trust me though, getting the AR7200BX or AR7300BX is going to be a GREAT upgrade. I don't know anything about the 7300, but if it's like the 7200, then it will just work on stock settings. Keep me posted on how it's going.

Top Bottom