General 3d Printer

Matt

Anyone have a 3D printer and is it possible to print parts for these (plastic) helis? The 3D printers are about $300 and could save a bunch on parts costs but was wondering if anyone had one and if they’re a good investment..

This one seems to be a good one:
Creality3D Ender-3 pro High Precision 3D Printer

I’d need filament and a plan to print the part. This is something I’m thinking about getting into and just “thinking out loud”..

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I have that printer, and you can print some parts with it. I would not do anything critical with PLA, which is the most common filament. I would probably try Nylon or ABS for parts needing more structure.

Matt

Thanks Tony. I’m shopping around. I haven’t quite pulled the trigger on this. I’d like to get as much information I can on these. Ultimately I’d like to print blade grips, main gears, blades, etc.

I have heard using nylon is better for breakable parts.

Tony

Staff member
There are better printers out there, but they are also more money. First thing I would do is upgrade the bowden tube. I have done this and it helps with the stringing. Second thing I would do is get a bed leveler. Actually, get a device, which I cannot remember the name of, that will check the bed in 5 places before each print to see where it is at and it will self calibrate for great prints every time. No more cardboard.... From there, just lock the bed down and let the program handle the print. That is my next mod. My previous mods include a raspberry pi for Octoprint so I can print over wifi as well as the usual printed pieces to make your life a little easier, which are not that many on the Pro model.

Top Bottom