Prop 3D Hobbyshop 48" Edge 540

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
So here is a thread dedicated to the awesome 48" edge 540 by 3DHS! :love-struck: My Edge came in the mail last Friday and should get its maiden flight this Saturday. The first impression when you open up the box (or boxes, its all double boxed for extra protection) is that everything is VERY well packaged.
Everything has its own protective wrapping around it, and all the hardware is grouped by what it is used for (you don't have to search for the right control horns or screws). I unwrapped everything and I was amazed at how awesome the color scheme looked on the plane! I proceeded to follow the instructions in the manual and put it together in about 10 hours. The build is very straight forward and easy to follow. The only part I had slight trouble with was the pull-pull rudder setup, but after an hour I had it figured out. The hardware included is top-notch! Nothing gets tossed! When assembled with the included hardware it is easily possible to get a zero slop setup.

All 3D Hobbyshop planes go through rigorous R and D and the results are quite evident :)

My Setup is as follows:
The recommended Omega 130g motor, HS-65mg's, and long servo arms
The esc will be a Grayson 60 amp w/out bec and I will use a Castle Creations 10 amp BEC. Batteries will be 3S 2200 with a 14x7 prop to start out with.

As far as airframe quality goes I'd give it a 10 out of 10......absolutely awesome. Very light but very strong.

I'll have a flight report asap after I maiden it.

100_3900.jpg

100_3903.jpg

100_3904.jpg

100_3909.jpg

100_3911.jpg

100_3913.jpg

Tony

Staff member
NO NO NO SIR! We don't want a flight report, we want video lmao. Those are nice planes though. rdsok swears by them and has a few. He may have this one lmao. I wasn't kidding about the video :chuckles:

Tony

Staff member
:yahoo:

Your not alone on wanting to fly this weekend. I have parts for two more planes to put in the air. I doubt I will have them ready, but I'm going to try. Everything should be here thursday. Edge 540 mini and rogue 3d bipe. Can't wait.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Well I know I said I'd get flight video this Saturday but Grayson Hobby has been a little slow getting my order shipped out, and that order just so happens to have the esc, bec, and propellers that I don't have already. There's always a chance of it coming tomorrow, but I'm not feeling it :( I want to fly this thing so much!!!

Tony

Staff member
haha, I know how you feel. I want to get my Edge back up in the air again this weekend, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen due to work and weather. Oh well, I can always spend the time setting up other planes, catching up on work, and making more videos. Can't wait to see that plane in the air though. I know RDSOK's plane flys great. Just have to watch that "bubble" of air at the end of the runway. It will drop a plane and fold the landing gear. All of us at our field have had this happen at one point or another.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
I will probably do the maiden with a foward cg, more like a pattern plane and test how well the plane can do slow four points and stuff. Considering how light the plane is I don't think I'll have any trouble with it dropping on me (but I can't say the same about my ACE Staudacher, that thing weighs about a pound more than it should, haha)

Tony

Staff member
Just make sure to keep it on low rates. I'm sure you know that, I just have to say it. Get it up in the air, trim it out, if it all feels good, flip it on it's lid and see how much down elevator you have to add to keep it level. My planes fly the best with just a hair of forward CoG, but I don't do much 3D yet either. I'm sure if I do get into 3D and start doing more harriers and hovering, I will move my CoG to just behind the center. I may play with that when I take them back out to the field. My landings are too hot, and I need to tame them down. I'm thinking harrier landings are where it's at if I can get them done lol.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
I'm thinking it will take barely a touch of down to maintain inverted, but if I need it I always have a full 45 degrees of deflection :) After I've done the maiden I fully intend to hover it down on the deck, I'm so pumped! Just need those parts........what a terrible dilemma. lol.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I figured with that 300s you knew what you were doing, just wanted to put it out there for the new guys that may read this thread. Just talking about this makes me want to get mine out, put some lights on them, and do a midnight flight lmao.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
I need to pick up some lights this summer for my foamies..........just one more thing to do. A midnight flight does seem like fun (I wonder what the neighbors would think) lmao

Tony

Staff member
Oh see, that is where I love living where I live. I have already pissed off all of my neighbors with the loud EDF's I have, and hovering a heli over their house making them think I have a camera on it watching them hahaha. OH, and I live out in the country where there are no noise ordnances lol. And foamies are not really that loud. Not the ones I'm thinking about anyway.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
It's more the random moving lights that I'm thinking about, haha Of course when my prop adapter got bent it sure made my foamy loud :p

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, same here. Cloudy and windy, will be raining tomorrow with a chance of tornadoes. All in a days work in Oklahoma during the spring lol.

Adam

That is a sweet plane man. So sweet it gave me the green eyed monster feeling and just watched all 11 build vids for the 41 inch edge and i definately have this on my wish list even though i have not flown planes yet lol.

Tony

Staff member
Planes are easier to fly than a heli. Only bad thing is, you can't start out hovering lol. It always has to be moving.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Go Adam.... you got the fever don't you. Some heli, ground pounder with playskool remote mod and the plane coming next :p That first build I've been doing and the fun you guys have with nitro has got me itching to try, but no money to buy :(

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Thanks Adam! It is a fantastic airframe and I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone with experience with aerobatic planes. If you're interested in planes a good way (cheap) way to start is by building a 3D type foamy and fly it until it falls to pieces. This is how I got started in 3D flying and it got me to the point that I could harrier and hover with no trouble. My personal favorite foamy plans are the rcpowers extra 300, like the one in my avatar.

Top Bottom