450 2 x 450 clones dx6i to fix after 2 years...

flip33

Hello,

After a 2 year break, I would like to fix my two 450 clones. Both were crashed and set aside in frustration. I fixed the broken tail booms and flybars Here is my question. Both will bind and spin up. They both have ailerons that will move, but the elevator does not. Likewise, both have gyros/tails that do not hold.

I exchanged aileron and elevator servos on the receivers. The elevator servo then works. Not sure about the tail servos.

Since both helis share the same issue, could it be a transmitter problem with the dx6i? Receiver 6115 and a HK orange 6 channel. Both used to work fine for about a hundred flights.

Thanks for your helpful ideas!

flip33

Tony

Staff member
This definitely sounds like a TX issue. Go into the Monitor menu and see if the elevator is moving the slider. You may have lost a pot. We will tackle the elevator first before the tail. The tail could be the gyro's lost their memory for some reason.

flip33

Hi Tony. I checked the monitor. The elevator slider does not move. Both the aileron and throttle do move. Rudder moves just a tick.
BTW, I have copterx gy240 gyros.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like your elevator POT went out. Take the case apart and see if it came unplugged. It's only 6 #2 Phillips screws that hold the case together. Be careful of the wires when you take it apart though. Below is a video on taking one apart, but I'm sure you won't go as far as I did. lol.

DX6i Customization Part 1 Deconstruction - YouTube

flip33

Hi Tony,

Took dx6i apart. All connections appear correct. Pushed on each connector to make sure they are secure. Monitor still shows no movement of elevator slider.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, sounds like the POT died. You can try and call Horizon Hobbies and see if they will send you one, but usually they want you to send it in to them. Have you thought about upgrading? The new DX6 is a fantastic Tx!

flip33

Thanks for your help Tony. I'll have to decide on a new transmitter. Will google the DX6. Hoping to find a way to make heli flying economical. Even looking at the Master CP or the V913 (with V911 for indoors). Parts look cheap for those helis.

The new blade minis with SAFE look tempting, but after spending lots of money on two mcpx's, I know those are expensive to fix and maintain. In light of your awesome help, my current mcpx might be failing because of the transmitter.

Part of the fun is deciding what to get! Like many others, I have dreamed of getting a BIG heli like a Trex 600 with a cool scale fuselage. I better get a good match to my skill and budget though. I don't mind some repairs, but helis can sure use up a lot of time fixing them.

Thanks again.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, heli and economical are not two words that should be used in a sentence lol.

If you decide you no longer want the 6i, send me a PM. I'm looking for new video ideas and this tx has given me a couple. As for the DX6, it has the same firmware as my DX9, just a few less features. And I love my DX9

Smoggie

Another possibility is that you have elevator travel reduced right down in the swash mixing menu or have the elevator travel dialed right back in the servo travel range screen.

The simple way to eliminate any Tx setup issue is to open up a new model in a fresh model memory. If the elevator still shows no travel in the monitor screen then it's a hardware issue for sure.

flip33

Another possibility is that you have elevator travel reduced right down in the swash mixing menu or have the elevator travel dialed right back in the servo travel range screen.

The simple way to eliminate any Tx setup issue is to open up a new model in a fresh model memory. If the elevator still shows no travel in the monitor screen then it's a hardware issue for sure.

Thanks. Been wondering if a fresh setup might work. Will do that.

Smoggie

To be honest i think it most likely is a bad pot like Tony suggested, but the fresh setup is an easy check just to make sure.

Top Bottom