Scale 2 blade MD500 to 5 blade MD500

Mac Mckee

Hey, I'm wanting to convert my 2 blade MD500 450 to 5 blade. I've heard that I need to upgrade my motor to handle the extra mass and my servos as well. It has a 3550KV motor, 3c 30s lipo, and HS-65MG swash servos. What is going to be the optimal motor/speed controller/battery/servo combo? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Tony

Staff member
On a 450, without spending a lot of money on something like xnova, Top End Scorpion, or somethign like that, you are not going to get much more power. What I would do is put the 5 blade head on (make sure you clock everything) and fly it for a minute then check the temp of everything. If all is good, fly for another minute and check everything and so on. As for servos, just about any metal gear servo will work, and again, you can go with top of the like like BK 3000 series but I would just see what yours do now.

Mac Mckee

On a 450, without spending a lot of money on something like xnova, Top End Scorpion, or somethign like that, you are not going to get much more power. What I would do is put the 5 blade head on (make sure you clock everything) and fly it for a minute then check the temp of everything. If all is good, fly for another minute and check everything and so on. As for servos, just about any metal gear servo will work, and again, you can go with top of the like like BK 3000 series but I would just see what yours do now.
Clock everything? Also I was wondering if I will have to change to a 4 blade tail rotor to counter the increased torque or will the 2 blade be ok. Thanks!

Tony

Staff member
Clocking means Blade Phasing. If they are not setup correctly the helicopter will do weird things. Usually they are really close out of the box, but some are way off. I don't have any videos on this as of yet (never flown multi bladed heads) but there are quite a few videos floating around out there.

As for the tail, see what the stock one does first unless you just want the complete scale look. IMO, no reason to spend money when you don't have to.

Mac Mckee

Clocking means Blade Phasing. If they are not setup correctly the helicopter will do weird things. Usually they are really close out of the box, but some are way off. I don't have any videos on this as of yet (never flown multi bladed heads) but there are quite a few videos floating around out there.

As for the tail, see what the stock one does first unless you just want the complete scale look. IMO, no reason to spend money when you don't have to.
Gotcha. Thanks Tony!!!

Mac Mckee

I've never flown the multi-blade heads either but the MD500's I've seen with 5 blade heads look sick!

Top Bottom